FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Photography Concept

Page  <12
Author
Coast View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 12 May 2015
Country: United States
Location: Southwest
Status: Online
Posts: 1958
Post Options Post Options   Quote Coast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 03:40
Hezu, thanks for the thoughtful reply
That is a powerful camera. It's even longer than the 500mm of my prospective lens.
I think most of us are hesitant being locked into one particular lens no matter how good. I suspect as time progresses that will change. Maybe we have too much history and tradition behind us to feel comfortable restricted?
Yeh, I don't like hauling a lot of stuff around too, but thats only for my style of photography. Travel
If I worked in a studio I would probably have a lot of stuff.

Do you have a favorite 3 lenses for your crop camera?
thanks_____Coast
a6000, a6500, Zeiss 16-70, Sony 70-350G, Rokinon Ultra Wide, Rokkor MC 58 1.4 < Keep it Simple / Travel lite >
 



Back to Top
Hezu View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 13 October 2007
Country: Finland
Location: HKI/KSNK
Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Post Options Post Options   Quote Hezu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 13:05
Originally posted by Coast Coast wrote:

Hezu, thanks for the thoughtful reply
That is a powerful camera. It's even longer than the 500mm of my prospective lens.
I think most of us are hesitant being locked into one particular lens no matter how good. I suspect as time progresses that will change. Maybe we have too much history and tradition behind us to feel comfortable restricted?
I guess that is the main reason, although I guess it is possible to overcome this sort of feelings: I know for example one Finnish nature photographer who few years ago abandoned his Canon DSLR gear and became a big advocate for Sony RX10 IV. He has said this camera is a game changer that does almost everything his older, heavier setup did and even offers couple extra tricks: at least the ability to quickly take photos in different focal lengths without having to change lenses (or switch cameras if you are carrying more than one).
Originally posted by Coast Coast wrote:

Yeh, I don't like hauling a lot of stuff around too, but thats only for my style of photography. Travel
If I worked in a studio I would probably have a lot of stuff.

Do you have a favorite 3 lenses for your crop camera?
I guess those would be Tamron 150-600, Sony 70-400G and Sigma 70-200/2.8 II Macro HSM. As you see, none of these are dedicated APS-C models and all are those dreaded heavy telephotos and in case of the first two, the main reason to mate these with APS-C camera is just to get more reach from the crop. But I have to admit that since I bought Sony FE 200-600G, my sole APS-C body, α77 II, has been mostly gathering dust and I'm seriously considering to sell. When I used APS-C (A mount) cameras more, first Sigma 18-50/2.8 and then Sony 16-50/2.8 used to be my work horses, but times have changed and my usage patterns are favouring full frame cameras and RX10 IV. I have to add that even with α7R series cameras I have tendency to prefer the smaller lighter lenses (like small primes and F4 zooms), although there are exemptions like that Sony FE 200-600G...
Back to Top
Phil Wood View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 24 March 2013
Country: United Kingdom
Location: England
Status: Offline
Posts: 972
Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 17:33
My lightweight holiday choice is an A58 (light, exceptional battery life) with a Tamron 16-300mm zoom. For a hiking holiday I wouldn't take anything else.

If I want a bit more versatility, a bit more IQ it's an A77 with Sigma 10-20mm, Sony DT 16-50mm, and something longer - depending on what I'm looking to shoot. Options would be the beercan (I like it on APS-C for concerts and general walkabout), Min AF 100-300mm APO for longer views, or Sigma 170-500mm for very occasional birding. However, the Tamron 16-300 would be the one I'd keep ahead of these.

As it is I shoot mostly with primes on full frame, so the original question The only 3 Sony Aps-c lens you Need is not that applicable, but my answer has to be the Sigma 10-20, Sony 16-50 and Tamron 16-300 - I can handle the rest with FF lenses.
Back to Top
skm.sa100 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 08 January 2009
Country: United States
Location: Charlotte, NC
Status: Offline
Posts: 3644
Post Options Post Options   Quote skm.sa100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 19:28
Originally posted by Coast Coast wrote:

Hey Sashi,
put me down for a minimalist set too
nice choice of lenses
thanks_____Joe


Joe, I'm not surprised to find at least one person in agreement with me.
The standard three lens kit for FF is typically, a 16-35 plus a 24-70 plus a 70-200.
My setup is a small variation of this.

However, on such discussions I've seen highly personalized opinions such as someone going with a 50mm plus a 28/35 and maybe a 135. These would be the prime lovers.

For me, the convenience of a zoom is unbeatable for a small setup.

This is an interesting thread that'll go on few a few days and I'll be following it with a keen interest.
More Dyxumer, less photographer.
Back to Top
Coast View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 12 May 2015
Country: United States
Location: Southwest
Status: Online
Posts: 1958
Post Options Post Options   Quote Coast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 22:29
Hezu, sorry I thought you had a 6000 series

Phil and Sashi
very good lens choices
Phil, good to hear from a prime shooter
Sashi, I'm w you on the zooms
very interesting
thanks____Joe

Great to have Dyxum during our confinements!
a6000, a6500, Zeiss 16-70, Sony 70-350G, Rokinon Ultra Wide, Rokkor MC 58 1.4 < Keep it Simple / Travel lite >
Back to Top
skm.sa100 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 08 January 2009
Country: United States
Location: Charlotte, NC
Status: Offline
Posts: 3644
Post Options Post Options   Quote skm.sa100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 12:21
Originally posted by Phil Wood Phil Wood wrote:

My lightweight holiday choice is an A58 (light, exceptional battery life) with a Tamron 16-300mm zoom. For a hiking holiday I wouldn't take anything else.

If I want a bit more versatility, a bit more IQ it's an A77 with Sigma 10-20mm, Sony DT 16-50mm, and something longer - depending on what I'm looking to shoot. Options would be the beercan (I like it on APS-C for concerts and general walkabout), Min AF 100-300mm APO for longer views, or Sigma 170-500mm for very occasional birding. However, the Tamron 16-300 would be the one I'd keep ahead of these.

As it is I shoot mostly with primes on full frame, so the original question The only 3 Sony Aps-c lens you Need is not that applicable, but my answer has to be the Sigma 10-20, Sony 16-50 and Tamron 16-300 - I can handle the rest with FF lenses.


Phil, how do you like you 16-300? I bought it about a couple of years back but don't use all that much since the IQ seems to be not that great.
That's not surprising since a lens of that range is a compromise on many fronts.

Sashi
More Dyxumer, less photographer.
 



Back to Top
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Other photographic topics Page  <12

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.

Monitor calibration strip

Dyxum.com - Home of the alpha system photographer

In memory of Cameron Hill - brettania

Feel free to contact us if needed.