FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a300/a350 questions and answers !

Page  <1234 5>
Author
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Joined: 14 July 2005
Country: Croatia
Location: Rovinj
Status: Offline
Posts: 10564
Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 11:21
Originally posted by Malone Malone wrote:


A good examination of the 350's DRO performance compared with the 700 would be really useful, plus noise comparison from 800iso.

Sorry but detailed tests and comparisons of IQ is something i will leave to others to test and judge. I will provide some samples but please do not expect me to go into details; often people take too seriously personal (subjective) judgments.
 



Back to Top
Hanzzz View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: 10 January 2008
Location: Belgium
Status: Offline
Posts: 20
Post Options Post Options   Quote Hanzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 15:59
Originally posted by Hanzzz Hanzzz wrote:

one more thing i'd like to know about the flip screen: you can tilt it 90 upwards (seen that on the youtube vids) but what about downwards? looks like its only 30, or can you also tilt it 90? Would be intresting when ur at a crowded place so you can look up on the screen...


so my question was, how far can you tilt the screen downwards?

thnx
Back to Top
CTYankee View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group
Moderator emeritus

Joined: 02 November 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 3511
Post Options Post Options   Quote CTYankee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 16:05
That 14MP sample measures about 35" wide on my laptop screen (part of it shows in a 9"W window and I have to scroll to see all of it). That's at 1400x1050 on a 14" screen (around 125 dpi). And it looks really good.

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's Q's !
April Foolishness
CZ16-80 | 28-75D | 28/2 | 85/1.4 | 70-300G | 400G
Back to Top
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Joined: 14 July 2005
Country: Croatia
Location: Rovinj
Status: Offline
Posts: 10564
Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 16:07
Originally posted by Hanzzz Hanzzz wrote:


so my question was, how far can you tilt the screen downwards?

Pretty like you have guessed before (Q&A added)
Back to Top
kefkafloyd View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 04 July 2006
Country: United States
Location: Massachusetts
Status: Offline
Posts: 2455
Post Options Post Options   Quote kefkafloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 16:07
Kiklop,

what do you think of the handgrip on the camera compared to the a200 or a700? Does the moved buttons affect your shooting performance at all?
Back to Top
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Joined: 14 July 2005
Country: Croatia
Location: Rovinj
Status: Offline
Posts: 10564
Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 16:47
Originally posted by kefkafloyd kefkafloyd wrote:


what do you think of the handgrip on the camera compared to the a200 or a700? Does the moved buttons affect your shooting performance at all?

Can't compare it to a200 really and then again, as i said, a700 is bigger camera, it is certainly better in terms of ergonomics (i miss the rear dial on a350 a lot).
However, i do have serious complains about how (or where) Sony placed the buttons on a700 top plate (i will never understand this) and with a bit narrowed grip on a350, ISO and drive buttons are even more easier to reach for me than on a700 (it does depend a lot on how big hands one have).

However, my opinion is that a300/a350 are already enough less capable cameras in terms of overall ergonomics than a700 that Sony didn't needed to strip down quick navi functions found on a700. I really wish they provided the same functionality of quick navi here as they did with a700; it would help a lot IMHO.
 



Back to Top
kefkafloyd View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 04 July 2006
Country: United States
Location: Massachusetts
Status: Offline
Posts: 2455
Post Options Post Options   Quote kefkafloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 16:55
Originally posted by Kiklop Kiklop wrote:


Can't compare it to a200 really and then again, as i said, a700 is bigger camera, it is certainly better in terms of ergonomics (i miss the rear dial on a350 a lot).
However, i do have serious complains about how (or where) Sony placed the buttons on a700 top plate (i will never understand this) and with a bit narrowed grip on a350, ISO and drive buttons are even more easier to reach for me than on a700 (it does depend a lot on how big hands one have).

However, my opinion is that a300/a350 are already enough less capable cameras in terms of overall ergonomics than a700 that Sony didn't needed to strip down quick navi functions found on a700. I really wish they provided the same functionality of quick navi here as they did with a700; it would help a lot IMHO.


Interesting. You are correct that it may depend on one's hand size. I found the a700's grip to be very good and the top plate buttons to be in just the "right" place for reaching them with my thumb. But then I have large man-hands.

I guess I should have been more specific in wondering about the smoothed-down front side of the grip. It doesn't have the notch that is on my 5D or a700. Dare say the grip is more Nikon-like on the front side.
Back to Top
ocelli View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 21 December 2006
Status: Offline
Posts: 454
Post Options Post Options   Quote ocelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 16:57
Thanks for taking the time to answer everyones questions.I have one more question.

Can the focus screen of the A350 be replaced?Would I be able to use the split image screen I use with my A100?Can an A700 grid screen be used with the A350?

Thanks
Back to Top
ocelli View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 21 December 2006
Status: Offline
Posts: 454
Post Options Post Options   Quote ocelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 17:00
Basically what I want to know is whether the focus screen is the same size and shape in the Sony DSLRs (A700&A350)?

Thanks
Back to Top
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Joined: 14 July 2005
Country: Croatia
Location: Rovinj
Status: Offline
Posts: 10564
Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 17:34
Originally posted by ruvmendis ruvmendis wrote:


Can the focus screen of the A350 be replaced?Would I be able to use the split image screen I use with my A100?Can an A700 grid screen be used with the A350?

To be honest i don't know; one should take off the shim border to see if there is any difference between them. Since it's not ma camera i can't really do it :(
Will try to find a bit more info on this and notify you if any solid answer can be found.
Back to Top
albnok View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 01 October 2007
Location: Malaysia
Status: Offline
Posts: 1018
Post Options Post Options   Quote albnok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 18:58
In Aperture Priority, with a darker aperture, does the lens stop down in Live View? Is there an option for DOF preview to be on all the time in LV?
Back to Top
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Joined: 14 July 2005
Country: Croatia
Location: Rovinj
Status: Offline
Posts: 10564
Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 19:02
Originally posted by albnok albnok wrote:

Is there an option for DOF preview to be on all the time in LV?


No, DOF preview is not provided in any mode with a200/a300/a350
Back to Top
lozw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Joined: 31 May 2007
Status: Offline
Posts: 148
Post Options Post Options   Quote lozw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 00:30
I notice in your A350 hands on you used some pretty good glass today.

I think it would be fairer to evaluate it with the kit lens and other low end Sony lenses as that is what the target consumer is going to buy.

It would be really interesting to see how the 17-80mm kit lens copes with 14mp of sensor resolution for example. Can it provide that much resolution to the sensor? Or does the kit lens become a limiting factor?
Back to Top
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Joined: 14 July 2005
Country: Croatia
Location: Rovinj
Status: Offline
Posts: 10564
Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 00:52
Originally posted by lozw lozw wrote:


I think it would be fairer to evaluate it with the kit lens and other low end Sony lenses as that is what the target consumer is going to buy.

It would be really interesting to see how the 17-80mm kit lens copes with 14mp of sensor resolution for example. Can it provide that much resolution to the sensor? Or does the kit lens become a limiting factor?


Agree .. and if you read "my impressions" carefully you will notice that i already stated that in the next few days i will use less expensive lenses.
But you need to understand that i also needed to check what the camera (sensor) is capable of prior to possibly blame cheaper lenses ;)

I will bring tomorrow 18-70, beercan and possibly peleng on sigma 12-24 (just to play a bit with the LV and low angle shooting;))
I just hope the weather will be adequate

Happy shooting !
Back to Top
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount APS-C Page  <1234 5>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.092 seconds.

Monitor calibration strip

Dyxum.com - Home of the alpha system photographer

In memory of Cameron Hill - brettania

Feel free to contact us if needed.