FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A7ii vs a6400

Page  12>
Author
DrBrown54 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Joined: 28 December 2012
Country: United States
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Posts: 122
Post Options Post Options   Quote DrBrown54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A7ii vs a6400
    Posted: 29 November 2019 at 03:08
Im really struggling with this decision and keep going back and forth. Im getting one of these jewels but not sure which since they’re so close in price. My goals are to getter sharper images than my a57 for both photo and 4k video, and better performance for astrophotos. I have quite a few apsc lenses and Id have to start over, and FE lenses aren’t exactly cheap. For you video gurus, would the a7 ii serve you well enough? Never had a FF before and Im usually the first to point out crop cameras can still get the job done but my a57 just doesn’t get it done for me. I feel like both a6400 and an a7ii are a good upgrade but I feel like not getting FF will be a regret. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?
 



Back to Top
QuietOC View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 February 2015
Country: United States
Location: Michigan
Status: Offline
Posts: 2915
Post Options Post Options   Quote QuietOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2019 at 04:31
Originally posted by DrBrown54 DrBrown54 wrote:

Im really struggling with this decision and keep going back and forth. Im getting one of these jewels but not sure which since they’re so close in price. My goals are to getter sharper images than my a57 for both photo and 4k video, and better performance for astrophotos.

An A58 would get you sharper photos. The A7II lacks 4k. The A6400 is probably better for astrophotography.

Originally posted by DrBrown54 DrBrown54 wrote:

I have quite a few apsc lenses and Id have to start over, and FE lenses aren’t exactly cheap.

The Samyang 18/2.8, 24/2.8, 35/2.8, and 45/1.8 are pretty affordable. The Sony 28/2, 50/1.8, and 28-70 OSS are affordable. Those are my FE lenses so far.

Originally posted by DrBrown54 DrBrown54 wrote:

For you video gurus, would the a7 ii serve you well enough?

Full-frame video capture on the A7II is okay. APS-C crop capture is awful.

There's no continuous video AF with adapted lenses on the A7II. That might be true for the A6400 too.

Originally posted by DrBrown54 DrBrown54 wrote:

Never had a FF before and Im usually the first to point out crop cameras can still get the job done but my a57 just doesn’t get it done for me. I feel like both a6400 and an a7ii are a good upgrade but I feel like not getting FF will be a regret. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?
Sony A7III NEX-5T HVL-F45RM LA-EA3 LA-EA4 MB-IV MC-11 EF-E II MD-NEX KR-NEX DA-NEX
Minolta Maxxum 600si
Pentax Q7 5-15 15-45/2.8 8.5/1.9 11.5/9 AF-P/Q
Back to Top
DrBrown54 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Joined: 28 December 2012
Country: United States
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Posts: 122
Post Options Post Options   Quote DrBrown54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2019 at 15:23
If you get one of the Sony A to E mount adapters wouldn’t those still allow full time AF? I thought that's why those adapters were $150-200?? Those are great points I had not thought of so thank you. More reaearch!
Back to Top
QuietOC View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 February 2015
Country: United States
Location: Michigan
Status: Offline
Posts: 2915
Post Options Post Options   Quote QuietOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2019 at 15:42
Originally posted by DrBrown54 DrBrown54 wrote:

If you get one of the Sony A to E mount adapters wouldn’t those still allow full time AF? I thought that's why those adapters were $150-200?? Those are great points I had not thought of so thank you. More reaearch!

There is no continuous video AF using the LA-EA3. If you get the LA-EA4 you get SLT-style continuous video AF (aperture locked at F3.5 or wide-open if slower.)

Edited by QuietOC - 29 November 2019 at 15:46
Sony A7III NEX-5T HVL-F45RM LA-EA3 LA-EA4 MB-IV MC-11 EF-E II MD-NEX KR-NEX DA-NEX
Minolta Maxxum 600si
Pentax Q7 5-15 15-45/2.8 8.5/1.9 11.5/9 AF-P/Q
Back to Top
addy landzaat View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 22 April 2006
Country: Netherlands
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Posts: 10692
Post Options Post Options   Quote addy landzaat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2019 at 18:54
If you go full E-mount, of these two cameras the A6400 is the better camera. The AF is way ahead on the A6400 and the difference in IQ is not that big.

I own the A7r2 (that has supposedly better AF then the A7II) and the A6400 is really much better unless I want the full frame look.

Also, APS-C lenses are cheaper then the full frame lenses. Sigma has some great APS-C primes, Sony has some nice primes. The 18-135 is a well respected general use lens. The 10-18 is not really cheap, but well worth the price and well regarded.

Video, well, I do not do that much video. QuietOC is correct on the video AF with the LA-EA3, the photo AF is fine with the LA-EA3.

If you go this route, what lenses do you want to take with you to the mirrorless side?
Why not follow me on Instagram? @Addy_101
Back to Top
DrBrown54 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Joined: 28 December 2012
Country: United States
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Posts: 122
Post Options Post Options   Quote DrBrown54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2019 at 19:06
The only decent lenses I have worth carrying over are the 35mm 1.8 and the 18-105mm sony is fair. I still use some olympus vintage glass on my A57 with an adapter. I have some pretty nice fast primes but that would be adapter to adapter, but as long as focus peaking still works I could survive.
 



Back to Top
addy landzaat View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 22 April 2006
Country: Netherlands
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Posts: 10692
Post Options Post Options   Quote addy landzaat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2019 at 19:50
18-105? Do you mean the 18-135? That one behaves nicely with the LA-EA3 adapter, and it is a nice lightweight lens that is okay to use on the A6400 or A7II. Never used the 35/1.8, but it is a SAM lens and I am sure it also is fine with the LA-EA4.

Olympus lenses are the old manual focus OM lenses? Just get a nice adaptor for a few dollars (US$20,- for a Fotodiox adaptor over at B and H).
Why not follow me on Instagram? @Addy_101
Back to Top
QuietOC View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 February 2015
Country: United States
Location: Michigan
Status: Offline
Posts: 2915
Post Options Post Options   Quote QuietOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2019 at 20:00
Originally posted by DrBrown54 DrBrown54 wrote:

The only decent lenses I have worth carrying over are the 35mm 1.8 and the 18-105mm sony is fair. I still use some olympus vintage glass on my A57 with an adapter. I have some pretty nice fast primes but that would be adapter to adapter, but as long as focus peaking still works I could survive.

The DT 35 F1.8 SAM and DT 18-135 SAM work fine on the Sony adapters. The native options are smaller and better. Neither of these cover full-frame. FWIW: Secondipity on eBay has a manufacturer refurbished A6300 + 18-135 OSS for $600.

Mechanical adapters are very inexpensive. Might as well get an E-mount to Olympus one.

Edited by QuietOC - 29 November 2019 at 20:21
Sony A7III NEX-5T HVL-F45RM LA-EA3 LA-EA4 MB-IV MC-11 EF-E II MD-NEX KR-NEX DA-NEX
Minolta Maxxum 600si
Pentax Q7 5-15 15-45/2.8 8.5/1.9 11.5/9 AF-P/Q
Back to Top
Aavo View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 03 April 2013
Country: Estonia
Location: Tallinn
Status: Offline
Posts: 5342
Post Options Post Options   Quote Aavo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2019 at 20:58
E-mount is best with native lenses.
a6500 & 20/2.8, 24/1.8, 56/1.4, 18-135/3.5-5.6 OSS
Back to Top
LAbernethy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 25 November 2015
Country: Canada
Location: Ajax, Ontario
Status: Offline
Posts: 1845
Post Options Post Options   Quote LAbernethy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2019 at 21:31
Out of the two the a6400 is probably the better option.

The a68 would suit your lenses and accessories better, not to mention your pocketbook. The '4D FOCUS system' works pretty good. Video isn't my thing but I have to say the a68 does manage to produce some good quality video files (1080p though), the sound is actually pretty good too.

Edited by LAbernethy - 29 November 2019 at 21:37
Back to Top
balacau View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 September 2010
Country: United Kingdom
Location: N-E England, UK
Status: Offline
Posts: 1653
Post Options Post Options   Quote balacau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2019 at 12:38
I was considering something similar myself although my options were either the A7-II or the a6500.

Since I have a large number of a mount aps-c lenses, it made more sense to me to go for the cropped body. I know they work in crop mode but that's like having a land rover and never going off road with it. In my opinion anyway.

In a nutshell I stick with that logic and ended up ordering an a6600 with LAEA3 adapter this morning. With a combination of IBIS and advanced af system, it combines the best features of the a6400 and a6500 with the larger battery and grip.

Its not for everyone though and the a6400 has plenty of raving reviews. It's a capable camera in its own right.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Originally posted by LAbernethy LAbernethy wrote:

Out of the two the a6400 is probably the better option.

The a68 would suit your lenses and accessories better, not to mention your pocketbook. The '4D FOCUS system' works pretty good. Video isn't my thing but I have to say the a68 does manage to produce some good quality video files (1080p though), the sound is actually pretty good too.
Understanding is a 3-edged sword. Your side, their side and the truth.
Back to Top
LAbernethy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 25 November 2015
Country: Canada
Location: Ajax, Ontario
Status: Offline
Posts: 1845
Post Options Post Options   Quote LAbernethy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2019 at 20:04
Originally posted by balacau balacau wrote:



In a nutshell I stick with that logic and ended up ordering an a6600 with LAEA3 adapter this morning. With a combination of IBIS and advanced af system, it combines the best features of the a6400 and a6500 with the larger battery and grip.


If I were to switch, that's the way I would go.
Back to Top
DrBrown54 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Joined: 28 December 2012
Country: United States
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Posts: 122
Post Options Post Options   Quote DrBrown54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2019 at 20:21
I have not considered the 6600. But at a glance the ibis and battery don't warrant an extra $500, plus I can’t swing that much. I have software for stabilizing and can use a gimbal when need be.
Back to Top
LAbernethy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 25 November 2015
Country: Canada
Location: Ajax, Ontario
Status: Offline
Posts: 1845
Post Options Post Options   Quote LAbernethy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2019 at 00:05
Originally posted by DrBrown54 DrBrown54 wrote:

I have not considered the 6600. But at a glance the ibis and battery don't warrant an extra $500, plus I can’t swing that much. I have software for stabilizing and can use a gimbal when need be.

I beg to differ. If you look at every pre-owned a6XXX listing, it usually comes with 3-6 batteries. I think on a "new" purchase, the Z battery will save you at least $250. OSS lens cost more. IBIS will save you at least $300 in comparable lenses.
Back to Top
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > E-mount APS-C Page  12>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.

Monitor calibration strip

Dyxum.com - Home of the alpha system photographer

In memory of Cameron Hill - brettania

Feel free to contact us if needed.