FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A99 wl flash delay

Page  123 21>
Author
jordo7 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09 April 2009
Country: United States
Location: West Virginia
Status: Offline
Posts: 204
Post Options Post Options   Quote jordo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A99 wl flash delay
    Posted: 31 December 2012 at 04:26
My a99 is not a good setup with wl f58 flash for photos of my kids   It has a half second delay regardless of Iso or shutter speed     This was my biggest problem with a580 was slow performance with flash    It meant I used a700 if using flash.   Now the a99 doesn't do as well as my old a900 or a700

Jury is still out with me and a99

Gary Friedman describes flash delay on his blog   I can confirm it makes it impossible to get a photo of the smiles I want with wl

Also this is partly me not paying attention but the a99 picks iso 5000 for most of these shots when I was in manual mode with f stop of 3.5 and shutter of 1/100. The flash was putting out very little I suppose.   I've got a lot to learn.

On a positive note the Evf with 100 f2 minolta is amazing in low light

We are....Marshall
 



Back to Top
Photosopher View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Knowledgebase Contributor

Joined: 13 June 2010
Country: United States
Location: St. Louis Mo
Status: Offline
Posts: 4178
Post Options Post Options   Quote Photosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 04:34
Gary reports on wireless delay. That shouldn't happen with direct mounted flash. Others have reported no delay on a99 with flash directly mounted. Are you sure wireless is off?

Your topic is slightly different, but see this thread for more info on wireless delay.
Back to Top
MartyMoose View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 01 October 2010
Country: United States
Location: Tri-Cities, WA
Status: Offline
Posts: 1203
Post Options Post Options   Quote MartyMoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 04:39
There's similar symptom with the a77 in case you're thinking of moving from the 99 to the 77 for this reason.

Edit... But the a77 has built in flash to trigger wirelessly and that's supposed to work pretty good.
ILCE's a6000, a7, a7ii
CZ Batis 25, 85, SEL's 55/1.8, 35/1.4, 16-70/4, 24-70/4, 70-200/4, 90/2.8G Macro, 55-210/4.5-6.3, 16-50/3.5-5.6, Rokinon E 12/2
Back to Top
jordo7 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09 April 2009
Country: United States
Location: West Virginia
Status: Offline
Posts: 204
Post Options Post Options   Quote jordo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 04:47
I had f58 as wireless and was using f20 as trigger. With the new adapter. I wonder if the adapter causes the delay
It is all but useless for me
I tried changing to Ttl since I was using old minolta glass but it gave same results as adi
It was my first use of a99 so maybe I'm not helping things

I'll reply again if I gain any insight into my troubles

Thanks for the link to the related topic photospher
We are....Marshall
Back to Top
michelb View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 26 August 2009
Country: Canada
Location: Montréal
Status: Offline
Posts: 606
Post Options Post Options   Quote michelb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 04:47
Tested after seeing Gary Freedman's blog

A77 with built-in flash as controller has minimal lag using either HVL-43 or HVL-F56 in wireless
A77with HVL-F20 as controller has more than 1/2 second lag with either HVL-43 or HVL-F56 in wireless
A77with HVL-F43 as controller has more than 1/2 second lag with HVL-F56 in wireless
A900 with HVL-F20 as controller has minimal lag with either HVL-43 or HVL-F56 in wireless

What Gary discovered is that the A99 not having the built-in flash suffers from the same symptom

Wondering why A900 does not do the same in the same set-up configuration.
Michel B
Back to Top
MartyMoose View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 01 October 2010
Country: United States
Location: Tri-Cities, WA
Status: Offline
Posts: 1203
Post Options Post Options   Quote MartyMoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 05:00
Originally posted by michelb michelb wrote:

Tested after seeing Gary Freedman's blog

A77 with built-in flash as controller has minimal lag using either HVL-43 or HVL-F56 in wireless
A77with HVL-F20 as controller has more than 1/2 second lag with either HVL-43 or HVL-F56 in wireless
A77with HVL-F43 as controller has more than 1/2 second lag with HVL-F56 in wireless
A900 with HVL-F20 as controller has minimal lag with either HVL-43 or HVL-F56 in wireless

What Gary discovered is that the A99 not having the built-in flash suffers from the same symptom

Wondering why A900 does not do the same in the same set-up configuration.

My guess is because the a99 and the a900 are different cameras with different firmware. Note that the a99 and the a77 both have similar delay with external flash as the trigger.
ILCE's a6000, a7, a7ii
CZ Batis 25, 85, SEL's 55/1.8, 35/1.4, 16-70/4, 24-70/4, 70-200/4, 90/2.8G Macro, 55-210/4.5-6.3, 16-50/3.5-5.6, Rokinon E 12/2
 



Back to Top
MartyMoose View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 01 October 2010
Country: United States
Location: Tri-Cities, WA
Status: Offline
Posts: 1203
Post Options Post Options   Quote MartyMoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 05:02
Originally posted by jordo7 jordo7 wrote:

I had f58 as wireless and was using f20 as trigger. With the new adapter. I wonder if the adapter causes the delay
It is all but useless for me
I tried changing to Ttl since I was using old minolta glass but it gave same results as adi
It was my first use of a99 so maybe I'm not helping things

I'll reply again if I gain any insight into my troubles

Thanks for the link to the related topic photospher

It's not the adapter, it's the camera and it's a known issue.
ILCE's a6000, a7, a7ii
CZ Batis 25, 85, SEL's 55/1.8, 35/1.4, 16-70/4, 24-70/4, 70-200/4, 90/2.8G Macro, 55-210/4.5-6.3, 16-50/3.5-5.6, Rokinon E 12/2
Back to Top
mikey2000 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
OoU coördinator

Joined: 10 January 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Posts: 11071
Post Options Post Options   Quote mikey2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 05:16
I don't own a f20 but watched Gary Friedman's video. It does seem to be an excessive and unexpected delay with the f20 as a trigger.

I suppose this didn't come to light on the a77 until now as most people wouldn't use the f20 as a controller when the pop up flash does a good enough job.

However, a few things come to mind which I can't test...

1) is the same delay there when using a f58 as a wireless controller mounted on the a77/a99?
2) is the delay still there when using a f58 on the camera as a ratio controller for multiple off camera flashes? (I expect the delay is still there...)
3) has anyone reported this to Sony?
4) what happens with electronic front shutter is set to off (setup menu 6 on the a99 or menu 5 on the a77)?

I'd be especially interested in (4). EFCS can cause a few subtle problems on the a77, cured by switching the setting to Off.
Want to know more about
  • Atom Ant? Just click!
  • Back to Top
    MartyMoose View Drop Down
    Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined: 01 October 2010
    Country: United States
    Location: Tri-Cities, WA
    Status: Offline
    Posts: 1203
    Post Options Post Options   Quote MartyMoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 05:20
    Originally posted by mikey2000 mikey2000 wrote:

    I don't own a f20 but watched Gary Friedman's video. It does seem to be an excessive and unexpected delay with the f20 as a trigger.

    I suppose this didn't come to light on the a77 until now as most people wouldn't use the f20 as a controller when the pop up flash does a good enough job.

    However, a few things come to mind which I can't test...

    1) is the same delay there when using a f58 as a wireless controller mounted on the a77/a99?
    2) is the delay still there when using a f58 on the camera as a ratio controller for multiple off camera flashes? (I expect the delay is still there...)
    3) has anyone reported this to Sony?
    4) what happens with electronic front shutter is set to off (setup menu 6 on the a99 or menu 5 on the a77)?

    I'd be especially interested in (4). EFCS can cause a few subtle problems on the a77, cured by switching the setting to Off.

    I can test No.'s 1 and 4, just a sec...

    Edit... The a99 and a77 have the same wireless delay characteristic with the f58am flash as the controller as in the video. Also, the a850 with the f58am as the controller has no delay.

    Again, it's the cameras (a77 and a99). Though the a77's built-in flash as the controller works well.

    Edited by MartyMoose - 31 December 2012 at 05:32
    ILCE's a6000, a7, a7ii
    CZ Batis 25, 85, SEL's 55/1.8, 35/1.4, 16-70/4, 24-70/4, 70-200/4, 90/2.8G Macro, 55-210/4.5-6.3, 16-50/3.5-5.6, Rokinon E 12/2
    Back to Top
    Photosopher View Drop Down
    Senior Member
    Senior Member
    Knowledgebase Contributor

    Joined: 13 June 2010
    Country: United States
    Location: St. Louis Mo
    Status: Offline
    Posts: 4178
    Post Options Post Options   Quote Photosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 05:42
    Delay should be greatly shortened if manual flash is engaged. Shouldn't require pre-flash for TTL. Someone please confirm this... Auto Camera + Manual Flash... and Manual Camera + Manual Flash. Please ensure Auto ISO is turned off.
    Back to Top
    MartyMoose View Drop Down
    Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined: 01 October 2010
    Country: United States
    Location: Tri-Cities, WA
    Status: Offline
    Posts: 1203
    Post Options Post Options   Quote MartyMoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 06:49
    A99 w/ f58am on camera works fine in all modes (ADI/TTL/Manual).

    Setting the camera to wireless and the f58am to wireless (control) has no other selectable settings (I.e. manual or TTL).

    It's just slow. Maybe a firmware update will fix it.
    ILCE's a6000, a7, a7ii
    CZ Batis 25, 85, SEL's 55/1.8, 35/1.4, 16-70/4, 24-70/4, 70-200/4, 90/2.8G Macro, 55-210/4.5-6.3, 16-50/3.5-5.6, Rokinon E 12/2
    Back to Top
    Anita View Drop Down
    Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined: 26 September 2012
    Country: Netherlands
    Location: Zoetermeer
    Status: Offline
    Posts: 928
    Post Options Post Options   Quote Anita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 07:31
    I saw the video too ...
    It worries me ... don't know whether I should get a HVL 60 flash or not.
    Okay, I am a girl, but I don't have a good feeling about the adapter. I have tried my Pixel Soldier trigger with adapter on the A99 and I can not get a as fast shutter speed as with my A65 with Pixel Soldier without adapter.

    I hope new firmware will solve this BEFORE I have to shoot my next wedding ....
    Winter! That's the season to be young, catching snowflakes on your tongue!
    Back to Top
    Mr Baz View Drop Down
    Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined: 01 December 2012
    Country: United Kingdom
    Status: Offline
    Posts: 204
    Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 08:40
    Has anyone tried other makes of flash such as Metz or Sigma?
    One suggestion would be to try a flash that supports an optical non TTL slave that might be a work around.

    Though one would have thought Sony would have picked this problem up in field testing
    Back to Top
    IanL View Drop Down
    Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined: 30 December 2010
    Country: Great Britain
    Location: Jersey,C.I.
    Status: Offline
    Posts: 2113
    Post Options Post Options   Quote IanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 08:41
    Originally posted by Anita Anita wrote:

    I saw the video too ...
    It worries me ... don't know whether I should get a HVL 60 flash or not.
    Okay, I am a girl, but I don't have a good feeling about the adapter. I have tried my Pixel Soldier trigger with adapter on the A99 and I can not get a as fast shutter speed as with my A65 with Pixel Soldier without adapter.

    I hope new firmware will solve this BEFORE I have to shoot my next wedding ....


    It's not the adapter, which is just plastic and metal conductors - nothing which could cause delay. It's the camera.
    Ian
    Back to Top
    Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount full frame Page  123 21>

    Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



    This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.

    Monitor calibration strip

    Dyxum.com - Home of the alpha system photographer

    In memory of Cameron Hill - brettania

    Feel free to contact us if needed.