FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adapting other AF mounts

Page  12>
Author
Phil Wood View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 24 March 2013
Country: United Kingdom
Location: England
Status: Offline
Posts: 3129
Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adapting other AF mounts
    Posted: 06 July 2023 at 16:06
Now I have E mount bodies (A6000, A7Riv), which I use with A-munt lenses via LA-EA4 & 5 I have started to think about other lens systems. I have adapters for M42 & SR - fully manual. Does anyone have experience of adapting other AF lenses (eg EOS, Nikon F) does AF work, if so how well?
 



Back to Top
nandbytes View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09 January 2014
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Cambridge
Status: Offline
Posts: 3615
Post Options Post Options   Quote nandbytes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2023 at 16:18
Canon EF lenses in general work well. Shorter focal lengths (<200mm) work a lot better than longer focal lengths. I have used a fair amount of EF lenses in the past but everything is now available natively.

Nikon F is very hit and miss from reviews I have read and seen. No personal experience with AF adapter

honestly speaking though even using the newer Samyang lenses is generally lot better than adapting. As much as I enjoyed adapting glass and playing across brands it was a faff in the end.
Is there a reason you are looking to adapt, why not just buy native lenses?
I imagine on a high res sensor you are better off with native lenses.
my flickr
A7RV, 20-70G, 70-200GII, Viltrox16mm/1.8, 35/1.4GM, Sammy85/1.4II, 200-600G
Back to Top
neilt3 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 13 September 2010
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Manchester.U.K
Status: Offline
Posts: 3381
Post Options Post Options   Quote neilt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2023 at 16:51
I have the LA-EA5 on the a6600 and a7Riv using Minolta screwdriver lenses and they work just as well as on my a99ii.

I have a Sigma MC-11 that I use several Canon EF "L" and non "L" lenses on .
Performance is as good as the EOS film and digital bodies I use them on .
Actually, they perform better on my Sony digital than they do on my Canon digital!

I've also got the latest Monster Adapter Minolta Vectis to Sony E mount adapter to use my old APS film lenses on the a6600 , and their working well .

Most of my Nikon lenses are either screw driven or manual focus so I don't have an AF adapter for them .

You can also get Pentax K and Contax G AF adapters, though I've no experience with them .

One adapter I am interested in the the new version of the Leica M to E AF adapter to use my range finder lenses with .
Apparently much better than the original version .
see my photostream on flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilt3/
C & C welcome.
Back to Top
nandbytes View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09 January 2014
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Cambridge
Status: Offline
Posts: 3615
Post Options Post Options   Quote nandbytes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2023 at 17:08
Originally posted by neilt3 neilt3 wrote:


One adapter I am interested in the the new version of the Leica M to E AF adapter to use my range finder lenses with .
Apparently much better than the original version .


I have tried the original version and it was a whole bunch of fun.
I really do want to try the newer version but currently distracted by other new shinys

once again I wouldn't rely on it for any serious work per say but its good fun to use
my flickr
A7RV, 20-70G, 70-200GII, Viltrox16mm/1.8, 35/1.4GM, Sammy85/1.4II, 200-600G
Back to Top
Phil Wood View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 24 March 2013
Country: United Kingdom
Location: England
Status: Offline
Posts: 3129
Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2023 at 18:21
Originally posted by nandbytes nandbytes wrote:

Is there a reason you are looking to adapt, why not just buy native lenses?
I imagine on a high res sensor you are better off with native lenses.


The expense of E mount lenses is daunting so native lenses are likely to be in short supply. However, I do have a good range of A-mount glass that satisfies most of my needs. The other mounts are partly curiosity, partly because there is the occasional lens that seems to fill a gap Sony/Minolta never filled.
Back to Top
nandbytes View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09 January 2014
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Cambridge
Status: Offline
Posts: 3615
Post Options Post Options   Quote nandbytes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2023 at 20:58
Originally posted by Phil Wood Phil Wood wrote:

Originally posted by nandbytes nandbytes wrote:

Is there a reason you are looking to adapt, why not just buy native lenses?
I imagine on a high res sensor you are better off with native lenses.


The expense of E mount lenses is daunting so native lenses are likely to be in short supply. However, I do have a good range of A-mount glass that satisfies most of my needs. The other mounts are partly curiosity, partly because there is the occasional lens that seems to fill a gap Sony/Minolta never filled.


I'd have agreed with you a few years back but now with a lot of 3rd party options and a healthy used market, they are more affordable.
Especially so after you factor in the costs of owning multiple adapters and such too.

Of course I understand that you already have a-mount lenses that you wish to utilise and that's fair.
In case of EF/F mount lenses for which you'll need new expensive adapters for subpar performance especially when you can get native lenses for not much more money or same kind of money.

If you let us know what kind of lenses you are looking for and your budget for them, may be we can suggest some affordable e-mount lenses.

Of course there are some lenses that just don't exist or will probably never exist on e-mount. For example a 200mm f2.8 prime. The recent 70-200mm f2.8 GM2 is not much larger or heavier but it'll cost like 5-6X EF 200mm f2.8 lens. So if you are mostly interested in the 200mm it kinda makes sense to adapt EF200mm f2.8L or even minolta 200mm f2.8 (if you can put up with its AF and lack of TC support on LA-EA adapters).
But even in that case you can get a tamron 70-180mm f2.8 used for £200-300 more so... I'd still argue if in long run its better just get the tamron.

There's a few other examples like that but generally speaking I think we could find native affordable alternative these days .

Edited by nandbytes - 06 July 2023 at 21:03
my flickr
A7RV, 20-70G, 70-200GII, Viltrox16mm/1.8, 35/1.4GM, Sammy85/1.4II, 200-600G
 



Back to Top
QuietOC View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 February 2015
Country: United States
Location: Michigan
Status: Offline
Posts: 3682
Post Options Post Options   Quote QuietOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2023 at 21:19
EF adapts about as well as A-mount.

I have three EF electronic adapters: Yongnuo EF-E II, Metabones IV, and Sigma MC-11. The MC-11 is more limited than the other two, but it is a little better made. I haven't owned any of the Sigma Global Vision lenses that it supports. Global Vision = Art, Sport, and Contemporary labels.

The native emulation modes of the EF-E II and Metabones VI work well on the A6000. Sony didn't give that camera phase-detect support for the LA-EA1/3/5 adapters, so the MC-11 is almost useless on it with non Sigma Global Vision lenses. The MC-11 should work well on the A6000 with Sigma Global Vision lenses.

I have quite a few EF lenses. I've also sold a quite a few too.

The Tamron 70-180 VXD was alright, but it is not 200 mm.

The Sony FE teleconverters don't fit any of the smart adapters I have.

Third-party A-mount teleconverters work on the LA-EA adapters.

Edited by QuietOC - 07 July 2023 at 16:53
Sony A7RIV LA-EA5
Pentax Q7 5-15 15-45/2.8 8.5/1.9 11.5/9
Back to Top
Phil Wood View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 24 March 2013
Country: United Kingdom
Location: England
Status: Offline
Posts: 3129
Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2023 at 22:35
I have the Minolta 200 and, yes, the TC issue is an irritant. Does the EF adapter support them?

However it's lenses like the Canon 8-15 fisheye I was thinking of. And Canon's T&S range, though AF is not an issue there.
Back to Top
Hezu View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 13 October 2007
Country: Finland
Location: HKI/KSNK
Status: Offline
Posts: 4431
Post Options Post Options   Quote Hezu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2023 at 22:43
Originally posted by Phil Wood Phil Wood wrote:

I have the Minolta 200 and, yes, the TC issue is an irritant. Does the EF adapter support them?
Quick search reveals that at least Metabones adapters accept EF Extenders and Smart Adapters should even work when combined with Sony FE TCs. I don't own those adapters, so I don't have any first hand experience.
Back to Top
waldo_posth View Drop Down
Alpha Eyes group
Alpha Eyes group

Joined: 01 August 2012
Country: Germany
Location: Potsdam
Status: Offline
Posts: 7610
Post Options Post Options   Quote waldo_posth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2023 at 22:46
Since I am also using Sigma SA lenses (with a Sigma SQ Quattro H camera) I have a Sigma MC-11 adapter to use the 24-105mm Art and the 100-400mm Contemporary lenses on my Sony E-mount cameras. Sigma SA lenses can be had for bargain prices (if you are lucky). Should there ever be a Sigma L-mount camera with a Foveon sensor the lenses can be adapted by the MC-21 adapter.
"Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." (Walker Evans)   http://www.flickr.com/photos/waldo_posth/
Back to Top
nandbytes View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09 January 2014
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Cambridge
Status: Offline
Posts: 3615
Post Options Post Options   Quote nandbytes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2023 at 23:02
Originally posted by Phil Wood Phil Wood wrote:

I have the Minolta 200 and, yes, the TC issue is an irritant. Does the EF adapter support them?

However it's lenses like the Canon 8-15 fisheye I was thinking of. And Canon's T&S range, though AF is not an issue there.


Yes sigma MC-11 and metabones both support canon EF TCs.

yeah 8-15mm is certainly one of those speciality lenses you probably won't get on e-mount. there are however more affordable fisheye primes for e-mount.

There are also native shift lenses available and some interesting options like laowa 12mm f2.8 with a 1.4x shift adapter.
But if you are after tilt and shift then canon EF is probably the better way to go.

Both I'd say are pretty niche and as such would make sense to adapt since you are unlikely to get native versions any time soon.
Also in both cases AF hardly matters, you could probably make do with a cheaper commlite adapter that maintains electronic connection with the camera. Having said that I believe some of the later metabones adapters are better optimised for UWA and TSE lenses because initial models had some internal reflection issues. Worth looking into before buying.

Originally posted by Hezu Hezu wrote:

Quick search reveals that at least Metabones adapters accept EF Extenders and Smart Adapters should even work when combined with Sony FE TCs. I don't own those adapters, so I don't have any first hand experience.


IME only the metabones mkV fits on top of Sony FE TC(s). The experience is very hit and miss and in some cases it totally froze my camera. Its buggy and I would not recommend the risk of bricking your camera with that. Of course it may not brick the camera but the camera freezing doesn't seem healthy to me anyway.
my flickr
A7RV, 20-70G, 70-200GII, Viltrox16mm/1.8, 35/1.4GM, Sammy85/1.4II, 200-600G
Back to Top
addy landzaat View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 22 April 2006
Country: Netherlands
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Posts: 15237
Post Options Post Options   Quote addy landzaat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2023 at 08:44
Quite happy with my Sigma MC-11 adapter and the A7r4 - both with my Sigma 35/1.4 ART and several Canon branded lenses.
The LA-EA3 is also good, but I don't like the bump at the bottom - the LA-EA5 is better in that regard AND adds AF to screw drive lenses. Nice about the A7r4 is that is supports both the LA-EA3 and LA-EA5.

Forget about the A6000 for adapting lenses. In my experience it doesn't work. Also, the A6000 excels with small (cheap!) APS-C lenses. Everybody is talking about the Sigma 16mm and 30/1.4 - but the Sigma 19/2.8 and 30/2.8 are nice as well.
Why not follow me on Instagram? @Addy_101
Back to Top
Phil Wood View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 24 March 2013
Country: United Kingdom
Location: England
Status: Offline
Posts: 3129
Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2023 at 16:36
Originally posted by addy landzaat addy landzaat wrote:

Quite happy with my Sigma MC-11 adapter and the A7r4 - both with my Sigma 35/1.4 ART and several Canon branded lenses.
The LA-EA3 is also good, but I don't like the bump at the bottom - the LA-EA5 is better in that regard AND adds AF to screw drive lenses. Nice about the A7r4 is that is supports both the LA-EA3 and LA-EA5.

Forget about the A6000 for adapting lenses. In my experience it doesn't work. Also, the A6000 excels with small (cheap!) APS-C lenses. Everybody is talking about the Sigma 16mm and 30/1.4 - but the Sigma 19/2.8 and 30/2.8 are nice as well.


The A6000 works fine with the LA-EA4, but it's hopeless with the LA-EA3. I haven't tried the LA-EA5, but I have no hope of any success. I take your point about small APS-C lenses, adapting larger A-mount lenses does tend to negate the advantage of the compact body.

However, it is the A7Riv I adapt the most, the LA-EA5 works brilliantly. In essence, the A7Riv + LA-EA5 is my upgrade to the A99ii for A-mount use (using a lot of screw-drive lenses) - the only downsides so far are the TC issue and a double click when I shoot with screw-drive glass. I assume I am hearing the delay between the aperture closure and shutter. I am getting used to the strange sounds, but have been known to shoot in silent mode just to cut out the camera click.
Back to Top
addy landzaat View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 22 April 2006
Country: Netherlands
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Posts: 15237
Post Options Post Options   Quote addy landzaat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2023 at 17:26
Originally posted by Phil Wood Phil Wood wrote:

a double click when I shoot with screw-drive glass. I assume I am hearing the delay between the aperture closure and shutter.
I noticed shutter delay with the LA-EA3 when stopped down. That is the aperture, indeed.
Why not follow me on Instagram? @Addy_101
Back to Top
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > Other camera systems Page  12>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.092 seconds.

Monitor calibration strip

Dyxum.com - Home of the alpha system photographer

In memory of Cameron Hill - brettania

Feel free to contact us if needed.