FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Capture One 22 released

Author
Wētāpunga View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 02 September 2007
Country: New Zealand
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Posts: 6198
Post Options Post Options   Quote Wētāpunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capture One 22 released
    Posted: 09 December 2021 at 20:49
Well, it is officially out. I haven't had the chance to upgrade yet, but if anyone has, what are the main take-home points?

How does the HDR and Panorama stitching work? Any surprise new features?
a7riii, a9- Voigtländer 15/4.5, 110/2.5 M; Zeiss Loxia- 21/2.8, 35/2, 50/2 & 85/2.4, Zeiss Batis- 85/1.8 & 135/2.8; Sony 24-105/4 G; Sigma 70/2.8 M; Tamron 150-500 f5-6.7; Sony SAL 135/2.8 STF
 



Back to Top
rovhazman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Knowledge Base Coordinator

Joined: 11 January 2008
Country: Israel
Location: Be'er Ora
Status: Offline
Posts: 9064
Post Options Post Options   Quote rovhazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2021 at 13:31
According to the publications, it has HDR, panorama stitching, wireless tethering (but only for Canon), support for new cameras and lenses and auto rotate. I didn't upgrade so I cannot tell how well it works. For me, only the auto rotate is somewhat attractive, but it doesn't worth the cost of the upgrade.

I am a bit annoyed by Capture One. I switched to Capture One from Lightroom because I didn't like Adobe stopping selling perpetual licenses. I believe many Capture One users are using it for the same reason. And, apparently, Capture One try to force use to use subscription instead of perpetual license by releasing new version every year and charge a lot for upgrade...
I still prefer this policy (as long as I don't buy a new camera I can use the old version of the software), but it is annoying...
Back to Top
XKAES View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 24 September 2021
Country: United States
Location: Colorado
Status: Offline
Posts: 162
Post Options Post Options   Quote XKAES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2021 at 17:22
You better get used to subscription-only software. That appears to be the way that Microsoft is going to go with Windows..............
"They" -- not just Microsoft -- will lure you in with a "FREE" trial, but at the end of the trial, if you don't subscribe, you have nothing. That's a BIG problem, especially if it's an operating system.
So read the FINE PRINT!

Edited by XKAES - 16 December 2021 at 17:25
Back to Top
Wētāpunga View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 02 September 2007
Country: New Zealand
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Posts: 6198
Post Options Post Options   Quote Wētāpunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2021 at 20:24
Originally posted by rovhazman rovhazman wrote:

According to the publications, it has HDR, panorama stitching, wireless tethering (but only for Canon), support for new cameras and lenses and auto rotate. I didn't upgrade so I cannot tell how well it works. For me, only the auto rotate is somewhat attractive, but it doesn't worth the cost of the upgrade.

I am a bit annoyed by Capture One. I switched to Capture One from Lightroom because I didn't like Adobe stopping selling perpetual licenses. I believe many Capture One users are using it for the same reason. And, apparently, Capture One try to force use to use subscription instead of perpetual license by releasing new version every year and charge a lot for upgrade...
I still prefer this policy (as long as I don't buy a new camera I can use the old version of the software), but it is annoying...


I've had a chance to try the auto-rotate (I have a lot of seascapes with horizons) and it looks ok. I wouldn't upgrade for it. I haven't had a chance to try the HDR or Panorama properly. At this stage the HDR looks functional, but I need better images to give it a try. I'm hoping both turn out to be at least as good as the stand alone programs I have, because it means I can simplify my workflow.

I went from C1 20 to C1 22, so it was a lot cheaper that buying annual versions (or going to the subscription mode). Especially as I got 25% off by purchasing a pre-upgrade, and then 10% off by using another coupon.

And I also benefited from the peculiar pricing policy they have (had?). They don't (didn't?) adjust prices for the purchasing power of currency. So the nominal price is the same in NZD as it is in USD. Except the NZD is 30% lower in value. So I'm a lot happier than I would have been if I'd stuck to Adobe and Lightroom.

a7riii, a9- Voigtländer 15/4.5, 110/2.5 M; Zeiss Loxia- 21/2.8, 35/2, 50/2 & 85/2.4, Zeiss Batis- 85/1.8 & 135/2.8; Sony 24-105/4 G; Sigma 70/2.8 M; Tamron 150-500 f5-6.7; Sony SAL 135/2.8 STF
Back to Top
rovhazman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Knowledge Base Coordinator

Joined: 11 January 2008
Country: Israel
Location: Be'er Ora
Status: Offline
Posts: 9064
Post Options Post Options   Quote rovhazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2021 at 13:10
I guess that if we want new features and support of new cameras and lenses, it makes sense that they need income in order to support the development of the new features. But maybe they can do it in a more fair way. Or maybe current way is fair enough? It seems that people do pay the new versions and people do buy subscription...
Back to Top
nurWolfgang View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: 07 November 2021
Country: Germany
Status: Offline
Posts: 26
Post Options Post Options   Quote nurWolfgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2022 at 20:50
Hello

Today I did a lot of panorama stitching with older pictures and compared the results with Stiches I made with the app Autostich. The Capture one results are much better and the resulting pictures are a raw file.
It do not matter if the picture or some of them are already developed or not, if only one picture is developed the new stich is developed.
I have not tried HDR function as I have not Material and for weeks it is mor or less all gray in gray

The auto rotate woks most of the time very well but on some pictures it fails.
I moved from aperture to capture one also as I did not like to have no choice between subscription and buying a single license, but finally wet for a subscription, at last for the moment, at last I have a choice and I am happy with capture one.

Regards





 



Back to Top
Tricky01 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 08 September 2010
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Woodley, Berks.
Status: Offline
Posts: 3187
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tricky01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2022 at 13:20
I have tried the HDR and love it. So nice having the raw file to work with within C1 rather than needing to take the pictures out to a 3rd party and reimport. The image you right click on to then select 'merge to HDR' is the reference image for any movement in the shot as I understand it. I suspect they'll make this more clear in the future.

I haven't tried the pano feature yet as I've never tried stitching before, but probably will now it's integrated in the software. I have read that the one edit you should do *before* the stitch in C1 is to fix any vignette problems in the originals. Leaving vignette causes C1 real problem with the stitch.

Similar to Wolfgang, I was forced to move to C1 after the discontinuation of Aperture, and adopted the subscription. I was typically updating Aperture each year anyway and it works out broadly the same price, if not a tad cheaper.
web
A9, A7Riii, A7R (full spectrum) 12f2.8, 15f2, 16-35f4, tam28-200, 35f1.8, 50 1.8, 85f1.8, 90f2.8, 135GM, 100-400GM, 200-600G, 1.4xTC // A: Sig 90f2.8 & 180f3.5
Back to Top
Wētāpunga View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 02 September 2007
Country: New Zealand
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Posts: 6198
Post Options Post Options   Quote Wētāpunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2022 at 23:48
Originally posted by nurWolfgang nurWolfgang wrote:

Hello

Today I did a lot of panorama stitching with older pictures and compared the results with Stiches I made with the app Autostich. The Capture one results are much better and the resulting pictures are a raw file.
It do not matter if the picture or some of them are already developed or not, if only one picture is developed the new stich is developed.


Thanks- that's encouraging. I've just been using the MS ICE editor so this looks like it will be superior.

Originally posted by nurWolfgang nurWolfgang wrote:


I have not tried HDR function as I have not Material and for weeks it is mor or less all gray in gray


I tried some rocks by the sea and while the rocks looked much better, the motion of the sea threw up a lot of artifacts in the water. So I might need to try it in a setting where the scene doesn't change.

Originally posted by nurWolfgang nurWolfgang wrote:


The auto rotate woks most of the time very well but on some pictures it fails.


I'm starting to find it very frustrating and need to figure out how to turn it off. It seems too hit-and-miss to be a true convenience.

Originally posted by nurWolfgang nurWolfgang wrote:


I moved from aperture to capture one also as I did not like to have no choice between subscription and buying a single license, but finally wet for a subscription, at last for the moment, at last I have a choice and I am happy with capture one.


It is good to have the options of either purchase or subscription.
a7riii, a9- Voigtländer 15/4.5, 110/2.5 M; Zeiss Loxia- 21/2.8, 35/2, 50/2 & 85/2.4, Zeiss Batis- 85/1.8 & 135/2.8; Sony 24-105/4 G; Sigma 70/2.8 M; Tamron 150-500 f5-6.7; Sony SAL 135/2.8 STF
Back to Top
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Digital Darkroom

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.

Monitor calibration strip

Dyxum.com - Home of the alpha system photographer

In memory of Cameron Hill - brettania

Feel free to contact us if needed.