FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Still trying to choose between a6400 or a6500

Page  <1 234
Author
addy landzaat View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 22 April 2006
Country: Netherlands
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Posts: 9656
Post Options Post Options   Quote addy landzaat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 14:15
The AF system of the A6500 is nowhere near as good as the A6400 AF system.

The 16-50 kittens apperantly is not that good, if you want a general purpose lens, take a look at the 18-135 or 16-70.

If you want a prime, take a look at the 35/1.8 OSS or the 20/2.8.
Why not follow me on Instagram? @Addy_101
 



Back to Top
balacau View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 September 2010
Country: United Kingdom
Location: N-E England, UK
Status: Offline
Posts: 1580
Post Options Post Options   Quote balacau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 14:46
As I see it, the AF capability of the camera will be limited by the fact that I'll be using the LAEA-4 adapter at least most of the time anyway, so the AF capability should be somewhat close to that of my current a68 DSLT.

I've read a mixture of opinions of the 16-50mm kit zoom lens. As someone who is hoping to avoid these motorised lenses, the 16-50mm is probably not for me, nor the larger 18-105mm F4. The 18-135mm is certainly under consideration due to its mechanical operation. Truth be told I'd be happy enough using my a-mount 16-105mm SAL16105 via the LAEA-4 adapter if possible. I suppose I'd have to try that lens with the adapter to see how well or badly it works before making a decision one way or another. I'm looking forward to all this experimentation if I must be honest! Its quite exciting!

A prime lens would be nice but I think I'll be making the most of my existing a-mount "Easy Choice" lenses, the SAL30M28, SAL35F18, SAL50F18, etc. Maybe an e-mount prime or two in the far future is possible but that would depend on the price or if there are any deals on the go I guess.

Thank you.

Originally posted by addy landzaat addy landzaat wrote:

The AF system of the A6500 is nowhere near as good as the A6400 AF system.

The 16-50 kittens apperantly is not that good, if you want a general purpose lens, take a look at the 18-135 or 16-70.

If you want a prime, take a look at the 35/1.8 OSS or the 20/2.8.
Understanding is a 3-edged sword. Your side, their side and the truth.
Back to Top
QuietOC View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 February 2015
Country: United States
Location: Michigan
Status: Offline
Posts: 2534
Post Options Post Options   Quote QuietOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 16:28
FWIW: the 18-55 OSS has better image quality than the DT 16-105. Not exactly the same range though.
Sony A68 A77II A6000 A7II LA-EA3 LA-EA4 MC-11
Minolta Maxxum 600si
Pentax Q7 5-15 15-45/2.8
Back to Top
balacau View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 September 2010
Country: United Kingdom
Location: N-E England, UK
Status: Offline
Posts: 1580
Post Options Post Options   Quote balacau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 16:32
I'll be sure to keep that in mind thank you.

Best regards

Gavin

Originally posted by QuietOC QuietOC wrote:

FWIW: the 18-55 OSS has better image quality than the DT 16-105. Not exactly the same range though.
Understanding is a 3-edged sword. Your side, their side and the truth.
Back to Top
Hobgoblin View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 25 November 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Posts: 1485
Post Options Post Options   Quote Hobgoblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 22:26
The 18-105 does have a motor zoom but zoom function can also be operated manually. So it has both options. I find it a very good lens for both stills and video which I am starting to do a bit more of lately.

I have the A6500 and also a Nex 6. Can't compare the A6500 and A6400 as have never even held the latter. I chose A6500 because of IBIS and have been quite happy with it. Focus with all lenses (I have three Sigma e-mount primes and the Zeiss 24mm F1.8 as well as the 18-105 and the 55-210) is very fast and accurate.

Edited by Hobgoblin - 28 July 2019 at 06:04
Back to Top
Miranda F View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 11 January 2014
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Bristol
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Post Options Post Options   Quote Miranda F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 22:50
Originally posted by balacau balacau wrote:

As I see it, the AF capability of the camera will be limited by the fact that I'll be using the LAEA-4 adapter at least most of the time anyway, so the AF capability should be somewhat close to that of my current a68 DSLT.

I've read a mixture of opinions of the 16-50mm kit zoom lens. As someone who is hoping to avoid these motorised lenses, the 16-50mm is probably not for me, nor the larger 18-105mm F4. The 18-135mm is certainly under consideration due to its mechanical operation. Truth be told I'd be happy enough using my a-mount 16-105mm SAL16105 via the LAEA-4 adapter if possible. I suppose I'd have to try that lens with the adapter to see how well or badly it works before making a decision one way or another. I'm looking forward to all this experimentation if I must be honest! Its quite exciting!

A prime lens would be nice but I think I'll be making the most of my existing a-mount "Easy Choice" lenses, the SAL30M28, SAL35F18, SAL50F18, etc. Maybe an e-mount prime or two in the far future is possible but that would depend on the price or if there are any deals on the go I guess.


If you take jpegs with corrections turned on, the optical quality of the kit lens is very good. But it is slow in aperture at the long end and you may not really like the motor zoom much. I don't, but it is a useful lens to have on when you need wide shots and doesn't take much space.

I still have reservations on how well you will enjoy using big or long A-mount lenses on the little APS-C A-mount cameras, though.
Miranda F & Sensorex, Sony A58, Nex-6, Dynax 4, 5, 60, 500si/600si/700si/800si, various Sony & Minolta lenses, several Tamrons, lots of MF primes and *far* too many old film cameras . . .
 



Back to Top
balacau View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 September 2010
Country: United Kingdom
Location: N-E England, UK
Status: Offline
Posts: 1580
Post Options Post Options   Quote balacau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 19:54
Originally posted by Miranda F Miranda F wrote:

If you take jpegs with corrections turned on, the optical quality of the kit lens is very good. But it is slow in aperture at the long end and you may not really like the motor zoom much. I don't, but it is a useful lens to have on when you need wide shots and doesn't take much space.

I still have reservations on how well you will enjoy using big or long A-mount lenses on the little APS-C A-mount cameras, though.


A very valid point that, and something I have often wondered about myself. I always understood the positive idea of having a small and light-weight body like tha a5100 or a6000 and a small lens like the 16-50mm, but using some huge lenses like the Sigma 105mm macro or some 500mm zoom did seem quite strange.

Truthfully however, the largest and heaviest lens I now own is an older Sigma 100-300mm F4 zoom which is slightly over 1kg in weight. With the tripod foot used as a hand grip, its an easy lens to handle even with the light-weight a68. I can't imagine it being a problem with the a6400 or a6500 plus the 150g extra that the LAEA-4 adapter adds. The only other lens I still have that's over 1kg in weight is the older Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 LD IF Macro - this is confirmed to be manual focus-only when used with the LAEA-4 adapter. I'll probably keep it anyway as its a great lens and I don't use it enough for it to be worth upgrading, but it produces lovely sharp images.

There's certainly alot of truth what you say though, I don't intend on getting huge lenses for whatever e-mount aps-c camera I end up getting. I sold my old Sigma 50-500mm lens as it hadn't been used for over 2 years. I didn't get that much for it however it did cover the cost of a Samyang 135mm F2 so I'm not exactly upset... Hopefully the new owner gets more use from it than I did.

Thanks.

Understanding is a 3-edged sword. Your side, their side and the truth.
Back to Top
balacau View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 September 2010
Country: United Kingdom
Location: N-E England, UK
Status: Offline
Posts: 1580
Post Options Post Options   Quote balacau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2019 at 10:56
Well if Sony rumours are anything to go by, the price of the 6400 and 6500 shod drop a bit now as there are not one but 2 aps-c bodies being released soon.

Nice to see the cropped sensor models are getting some updates too.
Understanding is a 3-edged sword. Your side, their side and the truth.
Back to Top
addy landzaat View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 22 April 2006
Country: Netherlands
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Posts: 9656
Post Options Post Options   Quote addy landzaat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2019 at 11:48
It looks more like they will discontinue the A6500 - the price of the A6400 could drop a bit (maybe 100,-), but could also remain the same. The fact that Sony releases new cameras does not necessarily change the price of other cameras: the A7m3 still is the same price as when it was introduced even after the introduction of the A7r4 (and why would it? It is in a completely different market). One of the new cameras is supposed to be the APS-C equivalent of the A9 and the other one could be anybody's guess. If it is true at all, as there is also a new RX10 series camera rumoured....
Why not follow me on Instagram? @Addy_101
Back to Top
Jozioau View Drop Down
Alpha Eyes group
Alpha Eyes group

Joined: 13 May 2007
Country: Australia
Location: Melbourne
Status: Offline
Posts: 4769
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jozioau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2019 at 12:00
For what it's worth I recently helped my daughter choose an a6400 after researching both it and the a6500. It seems to have lots of advantages in terms of its focus technology and other aspects that are derived from Sony's best and latest features on its flagship e-mount cameras. Most independent reviewers strongly recommended this one over the a6500.
The lack of IBIS is offset by having image stabilisation built into many of the e-mount lenses, and in her case she matched the camera with the Carl Zeiss 16-70mm f4.0 OSS lens.
She's very happy with the kit.
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst" - Henri Cartier-Bresson
My FlickrPro site
Back to Top
balacau View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 September 2010
Country: United Kingdom
Location: N-E England, UK
Status: Offline
Posts: 1580
Post Options Post Options   Quote balacau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2019 at 12:18
Valid point there really. However if one of these new cameras is indeed a replacement of the a6500 (with the a6500 being effectively replaced in the product line), I would expect that the price of the a6500 would decrease somewhat in order to sell off the remaining stock. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Of course there have been past rumours of a new flagship aps-c model coming out for over a year now and still nothing to show for it. Maybe this is going to go the same way, perhaps not. Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on Sony's announcements from now on with an interested eye! Official announcements that is.   

Originally posted by addy landzaat addy landzaat wrote:

It looks more like they will discontinue the A6500 - the price of the A6400 could drop a bit (maybe 100,-), but could also remain the same. The fact that Sony releases new cameras does not necessarily change the price of other cameras: the A7m3 still is the same price as when it was introduced even after the introduction of the A7r4 (and why would it? It is in a completely different market). One of the new cameras is supposed to be the APS-C equivalent of the A9 and the other one could be anybody's guess. If it is true at all, as there is also a new RX10 series camera rumoured....
Understanding is a 3-edged sword. Your side, their side and the truth.
Back to Top
balacau View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 September 2010
Country: United Kingdom
Location: N-E England, UK
Status: Offline
Posts: 1580
Post Options Post Options   Quote balacau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2019 at 12:28
Its nice to read that your daughter is pleased with the a6400. I've had some hands-on experience with an a6400 myself (in a London Camera Exchange shop) and I am quite impressed really. It fits in the hand better than expected, the offset EVF is easy to use and the button placement isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only real major issue would be using a-mount lenses via an adapter which obviously don't have in-lens stabilisation like many of the native e-mount lenses. That is one area where the a6500 would have an obvious benefit with the IBIS included.

People can call me cynical for the following comment I guess but I was thinking along the lines of if the a6400 had been released before the a6500, would the reviewers still be raving about the a6400 as much as they are or would the a6500 be stealing the limelight instead since it would be a later model? New products are constantly praised (more or less, there are always exceptions) while the older ones are seemingly almost forgotten about.

Again, I don't doubt that either camera isn't a capable tool in its own right. Its amazing to think how far Sony has pushed on with mirrorless tech since the days of the NEX series.

Best regards

Gavin

Originally posted by Jozioau Jozioau wrote:

For what it's worth I recently helped my daughter choose an a6400 after researching both it and the a6500. It seems to have lots of advantages in terms of its focus technology and other aspects that are derived from Sony's best and latest features on its flagship e-mount cameras. Most independent reviewers strongly recommended this one over the a6500.
The lack of IBIS is offset by having image stabilisation built into many of the e-mount lenses, and in her case she matched the camera with the Carl Zeiss 16-70mm f4.0 OSS lens.
She's very happy with the kit.
Understanding is a 3-edged sword. Your side, their side and the truth.
Back to Top
addy landzaat View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 22 April 2006
Country: Netherlands
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Posts: 9656
Post Options Post Options   Quote addy landzaat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2019 at 13:57
if I compare my A6400 to my A6000 and A7r2 the AF of the A6400 is much, much better. The A6500 might be slightly better then the A7r2, but I doubt it is by that much.

I like the A6x00 camera bodies, but big DSLR lenses with an adapter is not that easy with the small body. The A6x00 bodies excel with smaller lenses. In fact, it is great for travel: a A6x00 with the 10-18/4 OSS and 50/1.8 OSS is much smaller then an A7m2 or A7m3 with the 16-35/4 and 85/1.8.

Edited by addy landzaat - 11 August 2019 at 14:00
Why not follow me on Instagram? @Addy_101
Back to Top
balacau View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 28 September 2010
Country: United Kingdom
Location: N-E England, UK
Status: Offline
Posts: 1580
Post Options Post Options   Quote balacau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2019 at 14:26
I certainly appreciate a smaller light-weight body as I don't drive so I have to carry my camera gear with my all day. That thinking alone without the cost consideration was one reason why I never invested in a full frame DSLR/DSLT. Obviously the full frame a7-series make that point somewhat redundant but I'm quite happy to stick with the cropped sensor bodies. I've sold off my biggest lenses due to lack of use so the Sigma 100-300mm F4 and Tamron 70-200mm LD IF Macro are the largest I have now. I think due to these having a tripod collar, they shouldn't be too difficult to handle. I guess we'll find out.

Thank you for your continued insight.

Originally posted by addy landzaat addy landzaat wrote:

if I compare my A6400 to my A6000 and A7r2 the AF of the A6400 is much, much better. The A6500 might be slightly better then the A7r2, but I doubt it is by that much.

I like the A6x00 camera bodies, but big DSLR lenses with an adapter is not that easy with the small body. The A6x00 bodies excel with smaller lenses. In fact, it is great for travel: a A6x00 with the 10-18/4 OSS and 50/1.8 OSS is much smaller then an A7m2 or A7m3 with the 16-35/4 and 85/1.8.
Understanding is a 3-edged sword. Your side, their side and the truth.
Back to Top
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > E-mount APS-C Page  <1 234

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.

Monitor calibration strip

Dyxum.com - Home of the alpha system photographer

In memory of Cameron Hill - brettania

Feel free to contact us if needed.