FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Samples: Minolta MC/MD/Rokkor 50mm F3.5 Macro

Author
Austrokiwi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austrokiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samples: Minolta MC/MD/Rokkor 50mm F3.5 Macro
    Posted: 17 December 2013 at 15:28
Samples: Minolta MC/MD/Rokkor 50mm F3.5 Macro

This lens has the following versions:

1. 1967: MC Macro Rokkor-QF
2. 1973: MC Macro Rokkor (-X)(QF)
3. 1976: MC Macro Rokkor (-X)
4. 1977: MD Macro Rokkor (-X)
5. 1981: MD Macro

mount: Minolta SR
format: FF
year: 1967-1981
max aperture: 3.5
min aperture: 22
elements/group: 6 elements in 4 groups
aperture blades: 6
min focus distance (mm): 230
filter diameter (mm): 55
length (mm): 55 (1)/ 55,5 (2-5)
weight (g): 330 (1)/ 325 (2)/ 220 (3,4)/ 200 (5)

This thread is open for C&C and for posting additional pictures. Please ONLY post pictures taken with the lens in the title- or start a new thread.
Please state camera, version of the lens and adapter in your post!

Edited by darosa - 19 December 2013 at 16:23
Always Learning

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austrokiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2013 at 15:40
I started photography recently in an unusual way. I collect coins and in writing some articles I needed to develop Macro photography skills. I purchased this lens some time ago. On the A 65 my favorite macro lens was an old Sigma 105mm ex. However with the A7r the MC 50 mm Macro Rokkor out performs the sigma on the copy stand. It has virtually no distortion and very little Chromatic aberration.   The major con it is not a 1-1 macro. However, the lens comes with a 1-1 adapter which does the job wonderfully. My suggestion never buy this lens without the adapter. Here is the shot of a 17 mm diameter coin using the 1-1 adapter, ( Note the shot was set up quickly and the lighting was set up quick and dirty).   I am yet to try this lens in the field but on the copy stand it reigns supreme. It was a bargain costing less than US$70.00 with the original packaging.

Nex users wanting a cheap introduction to Macro should consider this lens
Peekayoh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peekayoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 01:20
Version: MD MACRO 1981

Nice one AustroKiwi, mine is the 3rd Gen MD Macro bought back in '83/84 but I believe the optical formula was unchanged. I tend to prefer the 100/4 for a bit more working distance but the 50mm is excellent.

MD MACRO 50mm/3.5

MD MACRO 50mm/3.5 On the a700 so the adapter is a short extension tube.

Edited by darosa - 19 December 2013 at 16:26
rovhazman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Knowledge Base Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Quote rovhazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 03:19
Thank you guys! Those 50mm F3.5 macro lenses are coming up very frequent I am always tempted to get one. I think now I am even more tempted...

Peter, in your image titles you wrote F2.8 - I believe you mean F3.5, right?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austrokiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 03:40
Originally posted by Peekayoh Peekayoh wrote:

I tend to prefer the 100/4 for a bit more working distance but the 50mm is excellent.

I agree re the working distance I am hunting for a 100mm to replace the Sigma 105mm ( which I am retaining for use on the A 65)   But as all the shots show the 50mm is, at least for me, a surprise performer.   
Peekayoh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peekayoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 12:06
@rovhazman: Sorry about that! More haste less speed! Now corrected, thank you.

@Austrokiwi: You should never be surprised by Minolta!
In any case, the lens is a first class Macro especially for still subjects. As you found already there is no distortion and little in the way of CAs but you can see from the screw series above, it is somewhat soft wide open especially in the corners and there is vignetting. If you avoid f/3.5, the lens is an outstanding performer for close work. I personally don't use it for longer distances as I have more appropriate glass but I have heard some criticisms of performance in that area.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austrokiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 13:14
I just tried the lens reversed while mounted on the bellows. I compared it to a novoflex 105mm bellows lens and a minolta 100mm beloows lens and it outperforms both those lenses.   However at full extension of the bellows of course you can't view the whole coin.   This fist try suffers from poor lighting( the lens to subject distance is about 5-6 cm) and it appears grainy. Of course any suggestions would be appreciated. The shot is grainy perhaps soft( it was at F8 5.6 might have been better). In my field a lot of collectors rely on USB microscopes but I have found those tools inadequate and very two dimensional. What this first try does tell me that reversed on a bellows this lens provides me with exactly the right magnification I want. BTW I was surprised at the performance of the 50mm compared to more modern lenses I recently sold my sony 30mm macro because it wasn't up to the task.

Edited by Austrokiwi - 18 December 2013 at 14:48
Peekayoh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peekayoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 16:51
I've yet to use the lens on the A7r but on the NEX-7, whilst f/5.6 is very good, BEST edge to edge performance with minimal lens aberration definitely comes at f/8, after that, diffraction becomes the limiting factor with f/11 showing reduced resolution although edge to edge results as f/11 are still better than f/5.6. On the A7r, I would expect f/11 to be at least on a par with f/8.

No useful ideas about using it reversed.
coyote1086 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote coyote1086 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 19:13
I also recently bought a package that has a MC 50/3.5 macro with the 1:1 adapter ( the silver version ). Having really tested it but at about 1:1, it is quite impossible for handheld for me ( If I do macro, I will put it on tripod ). Seems like it is a little soft (like you all said) at F3.5, but at F5.6, it is very sharp.

Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Lens Talk > Other mount lenses