FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zenitar 16 mm Mini Review: 17mm vs 16mm Zenitar vs 8mm Peleng

Author
polossatik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote polossatik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zenitar 16 mm Mini Review: 17mm vs 16mm Zenitar vs 8mm Peleng
    Posted: 26 March 2007 at 14:46
Seen asked by some people - some comparisation shots and some toughts.

About the Zenitar:

Available with M42 mount (needs extra adaptor) and now also with a A mount (does not need a extra adaptor).
Because you can buy it now with a A mount it's also now in the Dyxum lens database (more info about that is here )

Bad stuff:
* not very sharp until F 5.6 or higer
* metering from my 7D is acting usually rather "erratic" (under exposing 1 to 2 ev) when stepped down - so need to check shots.
* not really a fisheye "effect" on a 1.5 crop
* you might need to "fix" the focus ring yourself on some lensens to be able to reach infinity. ( How to is in the same post as the next "mod".) Do this *before* sanding your M42 adaptor. This may also be needed on Zenitars with a "direct" A-mount.
* with the M42 adaptor you need "mod" the lens a bit as seen here otherwise you cannot change the aperture - it stay's at 2.8 then.
* you might need to sand the M42 adaptor to reach infinity but you can now buy it with a A-mount added. see here

Good stuff:
* cheap: around 140 USD.
* reasonable sharp stepped down a bit.
* very wide angle.
* I like the colors (but that is personal).
* the modding/fixing is very easy. Just need a small screwdriver that fits.
* sanding a M42 adaptor is fun if your beer is stored in the garage where you sand.
* there is now also a version where you don't need a extra M42 adaptor but the lens comes with a direct A-mount.
* did i mention cheap?

some shots:

Minolta - AF 17-35 F2.8-4 D @ 17mm / F3.2

zenitar @ F2.8

zenitar @ F5.6

Peleng @ F3.5

Peleng @ F5.6

Full size Jpegs are found here

Zip file with raw file of the 5 pictures above are found here

all pics : CC license

More information: jvc2000 has bought the Zenitar 16mm with the A-mount for his 5D and it works good except he has a underexposure for 1EV. Some more some sample pictures here. All of them were taken with +1EV at F8.

Edited by polossatik - 29 June 2007 at 14:16
7D / A580 and assorted lenses from 8mm fish to 1000mm / Minolta 7s Rangefinder /

HP Photosmart Pro B9180 In Da House!!

Bob J View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bob J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 15:13
Thanks for that - very interesting...

If you cropped the Peleng so that the dark corners and flare are out of the frame you would still be a lot wider than the Zenitar - but I guess you would lose a lot of Pixels on the way.

Is the flare around the periphery always like that with the Peleng?

Bob
Turerkan View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group
Moderator emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Quote Turerkan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 15:29
bob: there is going to be a bad area at the end of imaging circle with circular fisheyes, its always like that.

btw, such a comparison really deserved a seperate thread:)
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 15:45
Similar comparison can be found here with peleng compared to sigma 10-20@10mm.
And, once again .. for all fish-eye users; i really like hemi-fisheye plug-in. It's not very expensive but does a great job (far, far better than all others solutions i did tried. IMHO it is a must for fish-eye and PS owners.
Turerkan View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group
Moderator emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Quote Turerkan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 20:27
kiklop: looked at the site of the plugin you mention and i'd really buy it i wasnt short on money.. they have great correction samples! certainly an improvement over rectlinear ones:)
Maffe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 20:36
polossatik thanks for your effort!

ematsuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ematsuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2007 at 01:01
Here's my sample HDR with the Zen.

Johnyp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Johnyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 09:10
Peleng looks more and more interesting...i really want to get one now..
Turerkan View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group
Moderator emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Quote Turerkan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 09:15
my zenitar has arrived!!! i'll try to review it today:)
Johnyp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Johnyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 19:13
I personally do not see any reason to spend on Zenitar if one already has 17-35mm f2.8-4 KM/Tamron/Sigma, but if you don't then it may be worth it.
Turerkan View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group
Moderator emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Quote Turerkan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2007 at 11:15
this lens has a page in the lens database now! (since its available with A mount)

its here!
polossatik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote polossatik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 12:37
Originally posted by Johnyp Johnyp wrote:

I personally do not see any reason to spend on Zenitar if one already has 17-35mm f2.8-4 KM/Tamron/Sigma, but if you don't then it may be worth it.

Indeed, I hardly use it anymore since I have the 17-35.
I'm just keeping it in case a FF body comes out, then it's again wider...
Resell value is zip anyway seen the low new cost.

7D / A580 and assorted lenses from 8mm fish to 1000mm / Minolta 7s Rangefinder /

HP Photosmart Pro B9180 In Da House!!
JonahJohnson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote JonahJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 04:23
Well...I guess this might come off as kind of a stupid question, but will i get the same effect as your shots with the peleng 8mm on a my APSC a350?
or will it be less of a fisheye/less wide?

Thanks for this great post by the way.
very helpful.

Jonah.
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Lens Talk > Other mount lenses