FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TP: Choosing tripods and heads

Author
brettania View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum factotum

Post Options Post Options   Quote brettania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TP: Choosing tripods and heads
    Posted: 11 April 2007 at 07:12

Some of us have tried three or four sets of tripods and heads, and still feel we have not yet found the ideal combination.

But does one tripod do it all, and what about monopods for when you are on the move?

This is a thread where you can talk about your experiences and favourites.

One good thread to read is Need advice on a big tripod and Yet another tripod thread from the Gadgets forum.

The usual rules apply -- you can post only once but you can edit that post as much as you like. On topic only -- remember this is actively moderated.

Edited by rovhazman - 08 November 2013 at 23:12

colmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote colmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 11:47
I've contributed on two threads concerning tripods and heads:

What ball head to buy?

Benro tripod and ballhead

I originally wrote the following post on the 1st thread above:

When doing a study of tripods and accessories, I found that it's often best to go with whatever brands are most available in your country. I believe the large number of Kirk and RSS recommendations stems from the US-domination of photography on the net; both are fine products, but it means a few others get overlooked. With international P&P, import taxes and VAT, they can become quite expensive by the time they get to the EU.

I wrote this piece about supplies in the UK, but it may apply in part to Sweden too: photo.net article

Main USA ballheads: RSS, Kirk, Acratech (they now have a v2 model out) - all available direct from manufacturer.

Main European ballheads: Foba, FLM and Novoflex

Main Asian ballheads: Markins (available in EU via PhotoProShop.com), Benro (eBay traders), Feisol (direct from manufacturer)

Ubiquitous: Manfrotto - for heavy lenses as you say you'll be using, the hydrostatic heads are a possibility. I've read several criticisms of Manfrotto's quick release mechanisms, which seem to be regarded as inferior to the Arca-Swiss design, used by all the above manufacturers (more or less).

Shop around for good value models that meets the required spec (you'll likely be looking at the top-of-the-range for each brand, for heavy lenses), read some online reviews and make your choice. Don't forget quick release plates, as they can add considerable expense; bad ones can potentially reduce the effectiveness of the head.

Since then, Arca-Swiss have launched a new Z1 ballhead series, which seems to be a very fine product, lighter, stronger and crucially, cheaper(!) than their famous B1.

Edited by colmo - 12 April 2007 at 10:10
Dynax 7 & A100|Monopod & 2xCF pods + pan & FLM 38 heads|5400HS|Minolta 24-105/3.5-4.5, 70-210/4, 50/1.7|Sigma 90/2.8, 400/5.6 Tele Macro|Sony 18-70/4.5-5.6|Sunpak 455|X700+50mm f1.4 and other MF stuff
brettania View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum factotum

Post Options Post Options   Quote brettania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 04:07
gnatsum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gnatsum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 05:37
LOL, I like the reference to my old thread.

I like manfrotto for their solid cast metal parts. It gives me the feeling of the old value of weight as quality and the molded parts looks solid and reliable.

I bought the 190X pro as a good feature, good weight (5 KG) and small size.

I still haven't bought a head, will edit this post when I do.
Canon 5D, 5D mk2, 35L, 50mm f1.8, 135L, Minolta 9000, Maxxum 50mm f1.7
My webpage
bulldog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 22:47
i have just bought a new monopod from ARGOS for when out walking my two dogs around CANNOCK CHASE
I like to have something that is light affordable and easy to carry) as well as a tripod for home work or if i am going somewhere where i can take my car and not be on my feet carrying all of my gear around for 3-4 hours. My current tripod is a very cheap one ( about 10.00gbp from a car boot sale, it does for my current kit adn will have to do until i really NEED anything better
LECHER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LECHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 22:59
I have about 8 tripods hanging around. One I call my Trip-pod cause the legs extend out very far. I use it for outdoor windy days and have a Manfrotto 3055 Ballhead on it. I also have a Manfrotto 3021 w/3047 Pan/tilt head. It is quite hefty and a very solid platform to work from.
As you can see, I have a Minolta Macro Rail on it for close-up work. Also for off camera flashes.

All my other tripods are Slik based and are for light duty shooting only.

Edited by LECHER - 23 January 2009 at 00:08
From the Mind of LECHER.

alanscape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alanscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 11:46
I bought a SLIK 'Shogun' years ago for my RB67 and since then I've transferred the pistol-grip head to my other 'pods. Perhaps it's what I'm used to but I find it's great.
dpcassil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote dpcassil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2010 at 19:37
I have a bogen 3021pro and I am in love with it. I got it becasue the legs will adjust individualy and because it was a killer deal like $150 used with a 3030 pan tilt head.   man its awsome. hmmm i wish i actualy used it. lol o well i will some day.
Sony 50 f/1.8 Tokina at-x pro 80-200 f/2.8 Minolta 35-70 f/4? Minolta 5600h
GQ52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GQ52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 00:16
For a low priced but excellent value for money lightweight tripod I can highly recommend the Hahnel Triad series - I bought a triad 30 lite for less than L40 inc delivery. I reckon you'd pay a heck of a lot more for other named brands for the same quality.

It has an all metal ball fluid head with a quick release plate, etc and is great to use. The only potential criticism on this model is the plastic clamp levers but they seem to be high quality and not fragile like some of the cheapo brands Ive seem & handled. Very versatile, easy to carry and very stable

Hahnel Triad 30 Lite

A good general height of up to 1425cm or as low as 235cm and rated up to 4kg, its great for general use. Highly recommended!
Johnc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Johnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2010 at 13:38
Thanks for info on the tripod.
I'm looking for one to travel with.
Is the 1.2KG an accuarate weight?
Thanks
John
a99ii, A7R2, α99, A6000 & Nex5
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Dyxum Community > Knowledge Base