FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wacom Graphics Tablets - Any good?

Page  123 4>
Author
TallPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TallPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wacom Graphics Tablets - Any good?
    Posted: 11 January 2008 at 14:56
Hi All,

Did a search, but using more than the last 6 months results in an SQL error on the forum at the moment so I apologise if there is a big thread on this somewhere I missed!

I have read a lot that Graphics Tablets are great when it comes editing photos, and I often have been known to turn the air pale blue when trying to draw selection areas freehand so I thought I might give one a try.

Has anyone got any recommendations? Wacom seem to be a key vendor, I was going to take a shot with their entry level Bamboo One model, unless anyone can think why I should spend twice the price for the next model up (the bamboo)?

Wacom website is a bit too "crumpler" for my liking, hence asking the wise members of Dyxum

Paul
A900, 16-35/2.8Z, 70-200/2.8G, 85/1.4Z, 28-75/2.8, 50/1.7. Nex 6, 16-50mm & Rokkor MC/MD lenses.

kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 15:04
I would like to see some comments about them as well since for quite some time i think to get one myself.
dilettante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dilettante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 15:09

I don't know about the Bamboo ones, but I've had a Wacom tablet for a year or two and it's great. I think it cost around L70 at the time, so by no means a pro-level one, but it supports pen pressure, two buttons, good resolution, and has an eraser on the end, all supported well by PS Elements. I think mine is A5 size - the Bamboo One is A6, which is probably a bit small, I'd think.
TallPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TallPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 15:15
Hi Kiklop, well I just decided to order one after reading some web reviews, the Wacom "Bamboo one" is 31 GBP at ebuyer.com so I decided to try it as its a very good price I though - Logitech and Microsoft both sell wireless mice for more money!

Its on the free shipping deal ebuyer offer so I will not get it until late next week now, I can do a small review if you like when I get it?

I would still be interested in anyone else's thoughts on tablets or tips on how to get the best from them.

Paul
A900, 16-35/2.8Z, 70-200/2.8G, 85/1.4Z, 28-75/2.8, 50/1.7. Nex 6, 16-50mm & Rokkor MC/MD lenses.
TallPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TallPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 15:24
Originally posted by dilettante dilettante wrote:

I don't know about the Bamboo ones, but I've had a Wacom tablet for a year or two and it's great. I think it cost around L70 at the time, so by no means a pro-level one, but it supports pen pressure, two buttons, good resolution, and has an eraser on the end, all supported well by PS Elements. I think mine is A5 size - the Bamboo One is A6, which is probably a bit small, I'd think.

Sounds like you may have the Intuos3? I think this is what came before the bamboo although the Wacom site is a bit sketchy. The Bamboo one is L31 and A6 which I think is 14.8cmx10.5cm, the Bamboo is L55 (larger 14.7 x 9.2cm pad) and perhaps more the size you have?

I was tempted by the larger tablet, but I have never used one, and I am not sure how much I will want to after being a mouse user for so long, so I decided to go cheap and potentially upgrade later.
Bob J View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bob J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 15:32
They are excellent. I have been using an Intuos 2 at work and a Graphire 2 at home for the last 5 years (RSI problems): the pens are good and robust. Previously I had a Trust tablet, which was OK, but the pen needed a AAA battery and broke after 2 months when one of my boys had a disagreement with it. The Intuos pens and mice are superb, but the graphire ones are fine and Graphire is much cheaper than Intuos (I think I paid L50 for my Graphire, while the Intuos was about L300).

If you are not needing to do tracing I'd say get a small area one (I use a 4 by 5 and have it set up so that the pen operates over a smaller area than that) - a bonus for RSI sufferers is that you can switch to a mouse as well (which is where a bigger tablet might be useful).

If you have anyone in the household who is in education you may be able to buy with an educational discount (the reason why I couldn't ban my boys from using the Wacom after they broke the Trust!)

Edited by Bob Janes - 11 January 2008 at 15:35

Post Options Post Options   Quote dilettante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 15:34
Originally posted by TallPaul TallPaul wrote:

I am not sure how much I will want to after being a mouse user for so long

Well I use a mouse 90% of the time, but for photo editing, particularly making selections or brushing, I'll switch to the tablet. You can have both mouse and tablet active at the same time - they don't fight!
Bob J View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bob J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 15:40

You can have both mouse and tablet active at the same time - they don't fight!

This is a good point, you can use a conventional mouse and the tablet at the same time.. moving both at the same time can be confusing, but in practice only one is in motion at a time - our standard setup at work is hot-desking, so the Pc I use has a mouse attached and then I connect my tablet - If you don't have the Wacom driver loaded the Pc just sees the tablet as a generic pointing device, but with the driver you get absolute location, pressure sensitivity and the rest.

Post Options Post Options   Quote dilettante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 15:50

Sounds like you may have the Intuos3?

This is mine: Graphire 4 XL A5
TallPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TallPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 15:52

I am not sure how much I will want to after being a mouse user for so long

Well I use a mouse 90% of the time, but for photo editing, particularly making selections or brushing, I'll switch to the tablet. You can have both mouse and tablet active at the same time - they don't fight!

That's one of the other reasons I thought the smaller tablet would be ok, with scanner, printer, laptop, desktop, work laptop all on my desk at home space is at a premium, and I thought the smaller tablet should hopefully fit on my desk at home in the available space next to the mouse pad.

Sounds like it will be a useful tool, will have to post some pics when i get it next week.

Paul

PS Thanks to the admin who bumped my thread into hardware, sorry I missed the subforum and put my post in digital darkroom.
anderslynge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote anderslynge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 16:17
A couple of years ago I switched from mouse to tablet, and I have never looked back since. (Except for gaming )

Currently I use a BAMBOO, and I really like it. My model says "MTE-450" on the back, not sure if it's Bamboo one or what have you ...
TallPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TallPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 16:27
Originally posted by anderslynge anderslynge wrote:

Currently I use a BAMBOO, and I really like it. My model says "MTE-450" on the back, not sure if it's Bamboo one or what have you ...

I think the Bamboo is the slightly larger model, but its twice the price so I decided to start with the one.

Nice to know someone has one of that range and is happy with it though
anderslynge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote anderslynge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 16:34

Nice to know someone has one of that range and is happy with it though

I really am.

Since I'm a computer programmer, I spend my entire workday in front of the computer, and then some more time post processing at home, so 10 hours a day in front of a computer is about what I spend. I only use a mouse when doing presentations from the laptop, sine the tablet is less portable than a small wireless mouse, and for gaming.

Now, be prepared to spend at least a week to get used to the pen and "paper", where you might end up rearranging your icons and moving stuff around ... don't worry about it, it quickly gets better, and once your are used to it, it feels completely natural.

GL with your purchase
Kaolinchemist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kaolinchemist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 16:49
If you were like me and didn't wat to spend a lot of money when trying the world of graphics tablet you could look at these:

I ordered this 6x8 one for $59

I will let you know how well it works, if good I may upgrade to this one:

9x12 for $150

Genius the company that makes these seem to get good reviews, granted they are not WACOM's but if you are just doing photo editing and not alot of professional digital art or design they could be a good deal.

I ordered the 6x8 on sale for $50 before Christmas based on the fact I only want to dip my feet into the Graphics Tablet world. I plan on using it for photos only. Then if I see myself loving using it I may be able to justify to my wife spending the $$$ for a super nice WACOM.

I just wanted to let you know about a possible cheaper alternative.

Bill
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Digital Darkroom Page  123 4>