FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A200 versus A700 noise (with pictures!)

Page  12>
Author
albnok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote albnok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A200 versus A700 noise (with pictures!)
    Posted: 25 January 2008 at 18:40
I just tried out a production-model A200 versus the A700 today. Shooting with the same lens and same settings, 1/60s F5.6 ISO1600, then looking at the screen, me and my friend were AMAZED!

NOISE LEVELS LOOKED THE SAME!

Forgot to try AF speed, but that feels almost the same, too.

I did not personally do the picture taking deed. Both used my Minolta 50mm F1.4 (Original) with a slightly smudged UV filter (only realized later). My friend isn't aware of the criticality of focusing (plus my A700 with the F1.4 isn't spot on) so please pardon the possible misfocus and look just at the noise rendition.

I don't know why the color for the wall changed. I also think it's ironic he shot a portion of the wall that has all 5 major players. How very politically correct.

This will be a bit big: (moderator please edit if it can be shown)
http://www.glaringnotebook.com/zimages/atvs3.jpg

Different methods of noise reduction - however, the A200 seems to have very smart NR, wiping out texture in plain walls. Or it could just be a CCD thing. Scale is slightly different due to different megapixel count.

Softness of A700 may be due to me setting the Creative Style to Standard to match the A200 (thus getting a by default softer image.)

You have no idea how happy I am to report that Sony has done some magic with the CCD and Bionz.

That leaves just the build, buttons, manual DRO and layout to differ.

MiPr View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Mikre Dyxum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiPr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 16:23
Interesting results. I wonder if anybody other did similar test. Would be also interesting to compare A200 results with the camera depicted above :)
I'm noise-blind. And noise-about-noise-deaf too ... |   BTW, Dyxum Weekly Exhibitions don't grow on trees ...
waterland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote waterland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 22:28
http://home.versatel.nl/wilsuus/DSC00017.dng

I don't own a A700 (yet) but tried the A200 recently. See above
I had to admid it was at least as good (and sometimes better) than my 7D
troublestylist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote troublestylist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 22:50
So, the thought is that the better DRO is the only "tangible" thing better on the A700? (Not counting 3 vs 5 FPS). AF is reportedly the same?

Aye, I might have to go A200 over the A700.

Greg
BackToSlr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BackToSlr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 23:01
Originally posted by troublestylist troublestylist wrote:

So, the thought is that the better DRO is the only "tangible" thing better on the A700? (Not counting 3 vs 5 FPS). AF is reportedly the same?

Aye, I might have to go A200 over the A700.

Greg

Looks like a great entry level camera. I only miss AF/MF button on the rear, and DOF preview (which sucks), but good thing is CCD.

I think Sony did very well with the specs.

N
Sony + Minolta + NEX stuff...
Octupi View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group
Knowledge Base Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Quote Octupi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 00:28
Without calling up the specs, does the A200 have the F2.8 focus cross that the a700 does? I would bet there is more to the a700 than just DRO changes, but maybe I'm optimistic.   

Mauricio11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mauricio11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 01:18
I've downloaded the DNG file above.
Converted by ACR, DCRaw and RPP (Raw Photo Processor - Mac only).

RPP renders "film-like" noise. Very very nice.
DCRaw is close.
ACR doesn't work for me. It seems to increase luminance/chroma noise, lose of details etc.

At the end, I can say I like A200 noise very very much. Easy to PP.
Unfortunately, I dont like A700 noise at all. It seems bigger and thicker. It makes my PP slower.
mee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 02:02
So albnok, are you going to sell your A700 for the A200?

cyberdroxxx / clubalpha M
albnok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote albnok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 04:59
If all you want is good AF and good ISO, then the A200 does the job.

If you want buttons and quicker access, and perhaps some JPG fun with DRO+ Level 5, the A700 does it.

If you want macro, wait for them Live View babies.

Don't think the A200 has the F2.8 and dual-cross sensor. It should be a single cross sensor with 8 line sensors around just like the 7D.

ssssssssssssss: Nope. The A350 would be a nice addition, though.
KonicaA3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KonicaA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 16:35
You have all just made me feel lots better. I have pre-ordered the A200, and will be selling my 5D to a work associate. Unfortunately, here in the states they only offer as a Kit with 18-70 or 18-200. My 5D has taken some amazing pics and I have seen the increase in detail the A100 gave to other Dyxumers. The only things I may miss is the EV control, but it looks like I am gaining a lot more. The only thing is the "Consumer Camera" Stigma
Sony A77ii | Sigma APO 75-300 F4-5.6 | Minolta 70-210 F4 | Tamron 18-250 F3.5-6.3 Di |Minolta 35-70 F4 | Minolta 100-200 F4.5 | Sigma 18-125 F3.5-5.6

http://www.flickr.com/people/imagesbykeith/
Alexramos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alexramos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 02:48
Will I sell my A100 for the A200/A300...??

I don't know...

The noise level and AF speed is a good completion for the A700 like second body...
Sony Alpha 200
Sony Alpha 700
Sony DT AF 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
Sony DT AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6
mee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 11:27
albnok: A350? I heard that news from Ted lately. I wonder if it's an entry level FF to complement the 24-70mm f2.8 lens. I heard that it got a real time live view LCD. So what info do you have from George since you are a Sony Alpha evangelist?
keith_h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote keith_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 15:23
Originally posted by KonicaA3 KonicaA3 wrote:

You have all just made me feel lots better. I have pre-ordered the A200, and will be selling my 5D to a work associate. Unfortunately, here in the states they only offer as a Kit with 18-70 or 18-200. My 5D has taken some amazing pics and I have seen the increase in detail the A100 gave to other Dyxumers. The only things I may miss is the EV control, but it looks like I am gaining a lot more. The only thing is the "Consumer Camera" Stigma

Let us know how it works out as I am thinking along the same lines.
rpenmanparker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpenmanparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 15:44
Originally posted by KonicaA3 KonicaA3 wrote:

Don't do it! (Sell the 5D, I mean.) To paraphrase a credit card ad: Having a backup body...priceless! You will never be able to acquire a good, dependable backup that you know so well for so little money. It is not worth it to sell it. If it were me, and I needed the proceeds from the 5D to buy the a200, I would wait until I could swing it without letting the 5D go. You never know when you will need it. See other recent posts about backups. They used to be standard when there were two kinds of film (color, b&w) to load or two different prime lenses to carry to cover a range before zooms. Guess what? They are still just as vaulable now that there is so much to go wrong in a digital camera. Different problem, same solution.
Robert
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount APS-C Page  12>