FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a300/a350 questions and answers !

Page  123 5>
Author
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a300/a350 questions and answers !
    Posted: 02 February 2008 at 11:12
A lot of misunderstandings can be found on the net regarding some a300/a350 options.
So, in an effort to help resolving some doubts i'm opening this thread and i will try to answer your questions if i can.

I have the camera for few days only (i will add some of my impression here so be fast asking.

Also, please do not use this thread for question like "which camera is better" .. this thread is for concrete questions about newly announced bodies. I will NOT make any IQ comparisons, will not test DRO, ISO performance etc. Please ask only if you have some technical questions about the camera.

what is the difference between the a300 and the a350?
The main difference is the sensor resolution; 10MP on a300 and 14MP on 350. This brings differences in file sizes and continuous shooting capabilities as well.
A quick comparison can be found here

Does a300 and a350 provide DOF preview
No it doesn't. And since it doesn't is of limited use for any critical macro work; it isn't designed with this in mind as a priority.

Does live view provide high magnification preview zooming (other than the 1.4x/2x Smart Teleconverter)?
No it doesn't. Only option to magnify the frame is using "smart converter" option which provides 1.4x or 2x magnification.

Does the Smart Teleconverter feature affect the captured image?
Yes. SM feature acts like a crop.

This option is available only in JPG mode only. When you set raw or raw+jpg mode this option is disabled !

The image is cropped, no interpolation, just a real crop.
Image size when using smart converter options are as following:

1.4x (medium image size*)
a300:
[3:2] 2768 x 1840
[16:9] 2768 x 1552

a350
[3:2] 3264 x 2176
[16:9] 3264 x 1840

2x (small image size*)
a300
[3:2] 2032 x 1360
[16:9] 2032 x 1136

a350
[3:2] 2416 x 1600
[16:9] 2416 x 1344

* image size cannot be changed when using this option.

Smart converter option is available only in live view mode.
Again, this option is possible only in JPG mode (standard and fine) only and it's disabled when using RAW or RAW+jpg mode

Does the Live view on the A300/350 work over the video out.
No as far i can tell.

What's the flash sync speed with and without SSS
1/160s

Can manual focusing lenses (m42 for example) be used?
Yes. The camera doesn't provide the usual "release w/o lens" options as found on former Sony/KM cameras but the lens check is disabled by default in M mode.

How helpful is the live view when focusing manually?
This is very subjective topic. Some will find it useful and some not. Since i'm not used to LCD screen focusing i would rather not comment this. LCD resolution however could be better IMHO.
But there is one thing i really like and miss on my a700; when manual focusing in live view a green led turns on when particular AF area gets in focus. It's not the usual AF ok signal only, but the AF sensor in question as well.
Sadly the same behaviors isn't implemented when using viewfinder. I really can't understand why they can add this.

How secure is the flip out LCD screen?
My impression is that is of solid quality and if the camera is handled with usual care shouldn't be issues with it.

How strong are the LCDs lever arms that provide the tilting action
I don't have too much experiences with cameras with tilting screens but it is about same quality i guess as my KM a2 if this means anything.

How much does LCD screen tilt?
About 130 upward and about 40 downwards

Does a350 provide mirror lock-up (MLU)
No, unfortunatelly even with the 2sec timer, MLU is not implemented.

Edited by Kiklop - 07 February 2008 at 21:50

lozw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote lozw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 13:17
Q1. Does the Live view on the A300/350 work over the video out. I can't find a definitive answer to this. It isn't in anything Sony have published. So it would be nice to find out from someone who has the camera and/or manual in hand.
ocelli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ocelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 13:57
Hi Kiklop,
1)What's the flash sync speed with and without SSS?
2)How helpful is the live view when focusing manually?
3)How bad is the view finder?
4)Can you also post some comparison photos from the A700 and the A350 please?
5)How accurate is the auto focus when compared with the A700?
6)What's the difference in the dynamic range optimizer function between the A700 and the A350?
7)Does the shorter flash cause problems(redeye,lens shadow)?
8)Which camera do you prefer? A700 or A350?Why?

Sorry for all these questions.I am trying to decide whether to buy the A350 or the A700.
Thanks

Edited by ruvmendis - 02 February 2008 at 13:58
Saved By Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Saved By Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 15:19
My only questions.

- How secure is the flip out LCD screen?? Could it wear and become loose after repeated usage and not lock into place?? What keeps it in place and releases it?

- How strong are the LCDs lever arms that provide the tilting action?? How well shielded are the wires in those arm and pivot points to protect them from again repeated wear and usage over time??

==> http://www.sony.net/Products/dslr/a350/pdf/specifications.pdf

Edited by Saved By Zero - 02 February 2008 at 15:19
I start to drift with the tide
Maybe I'll reach, I'll reach the beach
My heart is sealed watertight
Maybe I'll reach. I'll reach the beach...
The Fixx
sybersitizen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sybersitizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 17:06
Does live view provide high magnification preview zooming (other than the 1.4x/2x Smart Teleconverter)?
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 17:39
Originally posted by sybersitizen sybersitizen wrote:

I hope i have answered these.
Other question made so far will wait until a sample a350 arrive in my hands (this time a near final or final sample is coming and that's why i hesitate to use my experiences with early preproduction sample).

craiginscotland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiginscotland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 18:10
I do apologise for my ignorance here but i've not really been following these new cameras closely but, what is the difference between the a300 and the a350?

Is there a place that will show me?
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 18:25
Originally posted by craiginscotland craiginscotland wrote:

I do apologise for my ignorance here but i've not really been following these new cameras closely but, what is the difference between the a300 and the a350?

Is there a place that will show me?

I hope this is answered.
Hanzzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hanzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 17:34
one more thing i'd like to know about the flip screen: you can tilt it 90 upwards (seen that on the youtube vids) but what about downwards? looks like its only 30, or can you also tilt it 90? Would be intresting when ur at a crowded place so you can look up on the screen...

thnx in advance
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 09:37
Originally posted by lozw lozw wrote:

Q1. Does the Live view on the A300/350 work over the video out. I can't find a definitive answer to this. It isn't in anything Sony have published. So it would be nice to find out from someone who has the camera and/or manual in hand.

No. At least i was not able to get it (i still don't have the manual)
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 09:54
Folks .. i have a350 with me now for few days. If you have additional questions please ask but don't ask anything like how does it compared to xx camera; i will not answer similar questions since i'm not going to review this camera with all the "usual" details.
voyo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote voyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 10:58
Originally posted by Kiklop Kiklop wrote:

Folks .. i have a350 with me now for few days. If you have additional questions please ask but don't ask anything like how does it compared to xx camera; i will not answer similar questions since i'm not going to review this camera with all the "usual" details.

How is the viewfinder? It's so small than many people doesn't like it? Should i be afraid of it?
How is the LCD - go outside and try it on the sun :)
LiveView- can you zoom with the lens, or just make the crop (1,4x/2x)
LiveView on TV - possible?
Thank you
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 11:06
Originally posted by voyo voyo wrote:

How is the viewfinder? It's so small than many people doesn't like it? Should i be afraid of it?
How is the LCD - go outside and try it on the sun :)

This is prone to subjective opinions and one really should try it.
I find even my 7D/a700 viewfinders to be small so ..
LCD screen is not bad but isn't great as on a700 either. Will do the job but i somehow believe Sony should provide the same LCD on at least one of newly announced models (a350).Again, it is personal judgement

Originally posted by voyo voyo wrote:

LiveView- can you zoom with the lens, or just make the crop (1,4x/2x)
LiveView on TV - possible?

Already answered.
Malone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Malone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 11:11
Hi Kiklop

A good examination of the 350's DRO performance compared with the 700 would be really useful, plus noise comparison from 800iso.

Cheers
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount APS-C Page  123 5>