FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flagship spotted in the field in Canada!!!!

Page  123 7>
Author
Tritone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tritone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flagship spotted in the field in Canada!!!!
    Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:12
I was out with family in Victoria, BC at Hatley Castle/Royal Roads University when I happened upon Japanese group wandering the grounds. Not thinking much of it I thought it was a tour group until I saw a gent with an orange Sony camera strap and something which was quite different from my A700.

I was extremely excited and took this picture.

I must apologize as I hadn't paid attention to my camera settings and fired off this photo at 100ASA 85mm (28-85 minolta lens) at f9. Even though it was a sunny day, we were in open shade and I screwed up. The man heard my camera and started yelling at me in Japanese.

I guess that's why I'm still an amateur photographer. A golden opportunity missed

This was shot in JPG at Medium setting xfine (my standard mode) as I had just finished shooting some practise shots. I'm still quite uncomfortable with the dSLR being more in love with manual film bodies. As a result my smug gallery is still empty as I grapple with all the range of tweaks available.

If you wish to see the original jpg I can email it to you so you can pixel peep all you want. The 3 features that made this camera jump out me was the size of the optical viewfinder, the thumb rest, and the side ports.

Wish I had nailed it.
Now is A700 - Thanks Dyxum!

MichelvA View Drop Down
Alpha Eyes group
Alpha Eyes group
Knowledge Base Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Quote MichelvA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:18
Well done. Strange the man yelled at you. Too bad you couldn't start a nice conversation as photographers...
Is this model out in Japan yet or is it a early production prototype..?
PhotoTraveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PhotoTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:18
Wow, that is an A900. Side ports covers are definitly not A700 and look to match the A900 stuff Nice.

The lens looks like it could be the 16-35ZA, I don't think that matches anything else we have right now.

Now, you just need to get some shots of bigfoot.

But we have to ask, why didn't you tackle him and take his camera, it would be the right thing to do :)
dogears View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dogears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:19
The man heard my camera and started yelling at me in Japanese.

^pls (add) post a 100% crop of the cam :P

edit: p.s. was he wearing a pair of Alpha shoes!?

Edited by dogears - 30 June 2008 at 07:20
ab012 View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group

Post Options Post Options   Quote ab012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:20
perhaps you can post a more heavily cropped version for us to pixel peep lol]

hmm with the 24-70 too - good combo
Bernard

fun fun fun

Post Options Post Options   Quote PhotoTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:21
Like I said, tackle him and take his camera, always a conversation starter. Still, unless this was some private space, you could have walked up and clicked away right next to him.

No, the camera isn't out yet, but the bodies have been roaming.   Maybe they like canada, at a recent show there they had a full up model where they put tape over the name.

The cool thing about this part of the country is the movie business, they could have some models there being inserted in future movies. Or various Sony staff doing dual duties there, but in support for movies and testing.

Originally posted by MichelvA MichelvA wrote:

Well done. Strange the man yelled at you. Too bad you couldn't start a nice conversation as photographers...
Is this model out in Japan yet or is it a early production prototype..?

goodwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote goodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:23
I'll pixel peep if you please. I'll be downtown Vancouver tomorrow and will keep and eye out for a tourist looking group and alpha cameras

Garth
My grab bag - A850, KM 17-35, SAL 50 1.4, Min 85 1.4 RS G, 200 2.8 HS APO G - All in a Slingshot 100     
BackToSlr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BackToSlr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:24
Well done! It is the best picture is have seen in weeks ;)

But why did you stop?

It was a public place, isnt it?

Orange spot on the base is intriguing. Lens seems to be 24-70.

Thanks for posting.

N
Sony + Minolta + NEX stuff...
goodwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote goodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:26
cool, check out the hood on the lens...and two grips, defiantly wide angle zoom!

Garth
My grab bag - A850, KM 17-35, SAL 50 1.4, Min 85 1.4 RS G, 200 2.8 HS APO G - All in a Slingshot 100     

Post Options Post Options   Quote PhotoTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:29
24-70 has a petal hood, this does not.   I think it's the 16-35ZA, or the 4/24-105 comes with a pathetic hood.

Originally posted by ab012 ab012 wrote:

perhaps you can post a more heavily cropped version for us to pixel peep lol]

hmm with the 24-70 too - good combo
BackToSlr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BackToSlr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:35
Originally posted by PhotoTraveler PhotoTraveler wrote:

24-70 has a petal hood, this does not.   I think it's the 16-35ZA, or the 4/24-105 comes with a pathetic hood.

That is what i thought initially too. But when you look carefully you will see the petal hood. Photo is taken from top looking down and petal is pointing down too. In any case it merits the full size picture :)

N
Sony + Minolta + NEX stuff...
Tritone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tritone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:40
It was a public space but I was with family and small children and wasn't quite sure what to expect. Maybe they thought I was an industrial spy, although they surely would have recognized MY orange alpha strap.

Anyways, they were likely in town for the lovely Victoria gardens and the Tall ship festival. Maybe we'll see them in any Sony brochures and galleries!!

Here's the crop.

SSS couldn't save me as I was so excited I was shaking. 85mm at 1/10 of a second.

I did get some nice garden shots which I will post to my smug after I get some sleep.

Happy long weekends to Canadians and Amerians everywhere.

Edited by Tritone - 30 June 2008 at 07:40
Now is A700 - Thanks Dyxum!

Post Options Post Options   Quote PhotoTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:40
Maybe your right, I don't like that the area of study happens to have a guys bum for bokeh.   This spy shot is unacceptable.

Post Options Post Options   Quote PhotoTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 07:48
So did you just see it hanging, or did you see him take some shots with it?

Still probably an overall good sign. Hard to say if this would have been a real field tester, a press release image taker, or a reviewer with a pre-release model. I'm guessing we still have a bit till an announcement. Per the 24-105G thread, it sounds like the 70-400 and 16-35 are probably due to be announced soon since they are in Sony's retail system. The A900 and 24-105 aren't.

maybe this guy could have at least managed a "wait, not in the face" to basically ensure he doesn't get his face plastered all over the internet and makes good use of blazing saddles quote.

If it's for PR shots, nice to see them going to such spots. I really really don't want to see more shots from some pacific island again.   Nice Lush place like this is perfect.

As a side note, it looks a bit dark there, and he has no tripod. Good test for SSS or ISO.
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount full frame Page  123 7>