FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A question for x-700 users.

Author
zk-cessnaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zk-cessnaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question for x-700 users.
    Posted: 31 August 2008 at 07:51
So far, my internet research hasn't given me a solid answer to this question:
Is the x-700 compatible with the Minolta 4000AF flash, and specifically, does the TTL metering still work?

Has anyone got any experience with this combination?

Thanks in advance
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

matthiaspaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote matthiaspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2008 at 14:32
Since the flash protocol is basically the same (with the AF flash protocol being more or less a superset of the former Minolta direct autoflash protocol with minor semantic differences), it should work within some constraints:

http://www.mi-fo.de/forum/index.php?showtopic=18117&view=findpost&p=209413 [de]
- no FDC ("TTL OK") control in viewfinder, but FDC control on flash will work fine
- no distance information on the flash's LCD
- no auto zoom feature
- no AF illumination ;-)
- no support for mixed setups using AF and PX flashes at the same time using the original "Minolta Triple Connector". (NB. The similar looking but newer "Minolta Triple Connector TC-1000" (aka "Sony FA-TC1AM") isn't compatible as well, and mustn't be used on non-AF-bodies, anyway.)

I cannot test with a Minolta X-700, since I no longer own one, but I just checked the Minolta Program Flash 4000 AF on my Minolta X-500:

The viewfinder LEDs stop working as soon as the flash is ready to fire - it will be completely dark (for comparison: using a 360PX it will show either "M" or "A" and a slowly flashing "60"). Still, the camera will enforce a shutter speed of 1/60s (the X-sync) no matter of the speed dial position (same goes for the 360PX). TTL flash metering will only work in "A" mode (same as with 360PX); if you set the speed dial to "M" the flash will work in fully manual mode (in contrast to the 360PX, the 4000 AF does not feature a flash sensor for automatic non-TTL mode). There is no indication of good flash exposure in the viewfinder, but the "TTL OK" signal on the flash will still work. (Using a 360PX, the viewfinder display "60" would flash rapidly on proper flash exposure in addition to the FDC signal on the flash).

I guess, you can expect the same behaviour when using a Minolta X-700.

BTW. The Minolta AutoElectroflash 360PX (which was designed for the X-700 and X-500) can be used on AF-bodies. It should not be mixed with AF-flashes in the same setup, though.

Hope it helps,

Matthias

Edited by matthiaspaul - 28 February 2010 at 00:02
--

Minolta-Forum (MiFo) - German forum for the Minolta, Konica, Konica Minolta and Sony world of photography: http://www.mi-fo.de
zk-cessnaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zk-cessnaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 03:39
Thanks Matthias, that's pretty much answered my question.
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > Film cameras