FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a900 Mirror Lock Up

Page  12>
Author
ryankburley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ryankburley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a900 Mirror Lock Up
    Posted: 11 January 2009 at 07:00
I purchased my 900 a couple of weeks ago and the one thing that I have not been able to figure out is the mirror lock up function. The only way I can make it work is to depress the shutter button to lock up the mirror and then press it again to take the photo. My old camera is the 7D where you have the option to use the 2 second mirror lock up. I have tried to use the remote commander that came with the 900 but I can not get it to work in the mirror lock up function.

Either I am missing something or I can not lock up the mirror and have the picture taken a few seconds later without touching the camera again?

If this is the case can I get this function with the Sony RMS1AM?

Again just to be clear I want to be able to compose the shot and lock the mirror up and then a few seconds later I want the photo to be taken without having to touch the camera again.

Thanks for you help,

Ryan
a900 / 20 F2.8 RS, 24 F2 CZ, 35 F2, 28-70 F2.8 G, 50 1.4, 85 1.4 CZ, 80-200 F2.8 HS APO G

ABramley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ABramley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2009 at 07:10
The 2second timer still works like it does on the 7D. Press shutter, mirror up, wait 2 seconds, shutter open, finish.

Still reccomend the remote control though - very useful for awkward angles on a tripod - I did one pointing upwards back over the building that contained the window I was shooting out of yesterday to get a shot of the biggest moon in 15 years. The shutter button on the remote was right next to me all the time :)
ryankburley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ryankburley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2009 at 07:36
I never thought to try it because it had a mirror lock up function so I assumed that it was not on the 2 sec setting.

Is there any way to use this with the remote? When I hit the 2 sec button on the remote it does not seem to lock the mirror up.

a900 / 20 F2.8 RS, 24 F2 CZ, 35 F2, 28-70 F2.8 G, 50 1.4, 85 1.4 CZ, 80-200 F2.8 HS APO G
ABramley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ABramley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2009 at 11:38
No - it doesn't work with the infra-red remote. Infuriating isn't it? A wired remote will work just fine though.
Param View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Param Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 16:50
Hello,

I would like to use the mirror lock up with intervalometer.

Basically I need the mirror to stay up while the camera is taking pictures. Would that be possible?

Please advice.

Thanks.
www.paramtomanec.com,
www.rasayatra.com
dilettante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dilettante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 16:58
Originally posted by ABramley ABramley wrote:

No - it doesn't work with the infra-red remote. Infuriating isn't it? A wired remote will work just fine though.

Does anyone know why this is? I assumed it was just an oversight when they did it on the A700, but if they've propagated this 'feature' to the A900, perhaps there's a good reason.

sybersitizen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sybersitizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 16:59
Originally posted by Param Param wrote:

Basically I need the mirror to stay up while the camera is taking pictures. Would that be possible?

No. But you can use the camera's two-second timer and the intervalometer together, as long as the interval is at least three or four seconds. That will accomplish the same thing.

Post Options Post Options   Quote sybersitizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 17:02
Originally posted by dilettante dilettante wrote:

I assumed it was just an oversight when they did it on the A700, but if they've propagated this 'feature' to the A900, perhaps there's a good reason.

It's charitable to imagine there's a good reason, but there isn't one. It was just a mistake that Sony has not addressed.
Göran Larsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Göran Larsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 20:21
Originally posted by dilettante dilettante wrote:

Does anyone know why this is? I assumed it was just an oversight when they did it on the A700, but if they've propagated this 'feature' to the A900, perhaps there's a good reason.

The receiver for the IR remote is on the front of the camera, not on the back. This indicates to me that the intended use of the IR remote is to make it possible for the photographer to be included in a group photo, i.e. the traditional use for the self timer. The two second delay makes it possible to hide the IR remote. For this use it is best for the camera to be able to get the exposure right e.g. if the sun is covered by a cloud between the mirror goes up and the shutter fires.

Sony probably assumes that a photographer that knows why he needs mirror lock up will buy the real remote control. :-)
Param View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Param Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 00:19
Originally posted by sybersitizen sybersitizen wrote:

No. But you can use the camera's two-second timer and the intervalometer together, as long as the interval is at least three or four seconds. That will accomplish the same thing.

Thank you. I got the interval 4 secs, and exposure time 2 secs and still the mirror comes down even in two-second timer. Would you tell me in steps how do you accomplish this. Your help is much appreciated.
www.paramtomanec.com,
www.rasayatra.com

Post Options Post Options   Quote sybersitizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 00:48

Thank you. I got the interval 4 secs, and exposure time 2 secs and still the mirror comes down even in two-second timer. Would you tell me in steps how do you accomplish this. Your help is much appreciated.

Well, the mirror has to come down in between exposures. That's the only way the camera will operate. What I meant was that you can make the mirror rise two seconds before each exposure occurs. That should leave time for the camera vibrations to settle down. Isn't that okay?

Post Options Post Options   Quote sybersitizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 01:06
Originally posted by ryankburley ryankburley wrote:

... the one thing that I have not been able to figure out is the mirror lock up function. The only way I can make it work is to depress the shutter button to lock up the mirror and then press it again to take the photo.

I just noticed this comment, and I'm sure the A900 doesn't really work that way. (I don't have one, but I know that other KM/Sony DSLRs don't do that.)
Param View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Param Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 02:10
Originally posted by sybersitizen sybersitizen wrote:

Well, the mirror has to come down in between exposures. That's the only way the camera will operate. What I meant was that you can make the mirror rise two seconds before each exposure occurs. That should leave time for the camera vibrations to settle down. Isn't that okay?

It is OK, I just need better solution for time-lapse. Sometimes I take sequence 700-1000 images
www.paramtomanec.com,
www.rasayatra.com

Post Options Post Options   Quote sybersitizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 03:19

It is OK, I just need better solution for time-lapse. Sometimes I take sequence 700-1000 images

I wrote a big article about time-lapse photography with the KM 5D. Have a look.
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount full frame Page  12>