FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modified verticalgrip for 5D (15 picts!)

Page  12>
Author
Anssisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anssisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modified verticalgrip for 5D (15 picts!)
    Posted: 03 July 2006 at 19:29
Now it has been done again. One more 5D has got a verticalgrip.

After getting inspiration from my friends 7D + vertical grip, and reading all about such made for 5D, i was planning to replicate the Canon mod made Ari Aikomus.
Then i saw a BP-400 grip in a local home electronics store, and immediately bought it for 3.

So much for the story behind the making, i just got it very cheap. So yesterday me and Hymy started to take the thing apart. 7 screws on the top metalplate, 4 on the tower for the battery compartment, 4 under it, 2 behind the rubber grip, 4 on the bottom, one at the handstrap pin, and 5 for the cables under the metal plate.

After all that is disasembled it looked like this:

Then after much fitting and testing we found the place for the new tripodmount screw and drilled a hole for it.

Using a dremel multi multi tool we cut a new slot for the screw to be used for tightening it. Obviously, we were very careful not to make it too large or too ugly (as with the whole project).

For the wheel/tripodscrew to spin freely inside we had to remove some plastic.

And this is how much had to be removed on the outside for the grip to fit the camera. For a better fit, a thin rubber cloth was applied later on, on the whole top surface.

The cabels for the shutter release button was cut and re-soldered to our home made plug that fits the Remote socket.The plug was made from a digital cd-rom audio cabel used in computers.

Other electric work was not needed, only figuring out what the cabel order for the shutter release button (can also be found in other topics). This means the batteries worked automatically without any modifications.

So how well does my modified grip fit on the 5D? ill let you judge:

And lastly, a few pics of me holding the cam:

PS, it is minolta ergonomics, i does feel very good in my hand. I do not regret making one.
PPS, all credits for the pictures goes to Hymy.

Edited by Anssisa - 03 July 2006 at 19:32
"Click,Click,ClickClickClick" By: A700 + | S 50 f/1.4 | M 85 f/1.4 G (D) | S 135 f/2.8 STF | M 80-200 f/2.8 APO HS G |

VainHedonism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote VainHedonism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 20:39
im very jealous, im going to have to look out for one, 3 euro, if you see another one snatch it for me! how did you modify the cd audio connector? mine never fit right with all the trimming i did, seemed like pins in the connector were slightly too far apart
there's nothing worse than a sharp picture of a fuzzy concept. -a. adams

nikon d1X, sb80DX, sb25, tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8, tokina 80-200 2.8
Anssisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anssisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 20:57
I regret i did not take a picture of the plug before modifying it. That white one is smaller and has the holes closer to each other than the black connector (both could be found on the cable i had). It was a chubby white plug, not a flat broad plug (have seen both). This one does not spread the pins of the 5D.

BTW, the Grip came also with a leather handstrap, sadly not shown on the pics.
"Click,Click,ClickClickClick" By: A700 + | S 50 f/1.4 | M 85 f/1.4 G (D) | S 135 f/2.8 STF | M 80-200 f/2.8 APO HS G |
craiginscotland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiginscotland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 21:12
Nice One.

Run of a few more and you'll be rich in no time, LOL.
kvinaud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kvinaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 22:24
Anssi

Nice work. Next step is making the drawings an modification documentation.
5D The Finish Grip!

Again it shows that if SONY have a sucess with the A-100 a third party company will supply a vertical grip.

I guess that you will get some feedback from the people that knows the 5D.

Edited by kvinaud - 03 July 2006 at 22:25
Regards Audun

http://www.pbase.com/kvinaud
kiliii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiliii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 23:42
Here's my vertical grip mod for the 7D:

http://dreaming.kiliii.net/index.php?showimage=117

kiliii yu
--
kiliii@kiliii.net
dreaming.kiliii.net

kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 23:52
Fantastic topic. Thank you very much for sharing this.
kiliii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiliii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 17:40
gheil,

is that handstrap the minolta hs1?

Sounds like an interesting solution to a $300 problem...
kiliii yu
--
kiliii@kiliii.net
dreaming.kiliii.net
DoubleL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DoubleL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 08:27
I'm not getting the pictures. Have thet been removed?

Thanks.

Larry
Saratoga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Saratoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 12:32
Originally posted by DoubleL DoubleL wrote:

I'm not getting the pictures. Have thet been removed?

Thanks.

Larry

I guess so as I can't see them either :(
ex-KM5D, Sony A700 & A55 Coventry UK. CovLtwt Flickr
FX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 03:11
Same here, unable to see any pictures.
α100|Sony 18-70|Sony 75-300|Sony 100/2.8 Macro | Manfrotto 190XPROB | Lowepro Rezo 180AW
Dorset Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dorset Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 12:12
Same here, no pics, just the dreaded   X

Cheers MIKE,

5D, A350: 50/1.7; 28-75/2.8;80-200/2.8 APO Kit; 500/8; Tam 17-50/2.8; 18-280; 70-300/4-5.6: 90/2.8; MC7 2X; Tokina 11-16/2.8: 80-400/4-5.6; Kenko 1.4X:
Min A200 bridge
Anssisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anssisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 15:09
ahh.. i have moved by mistake these pictures...
i shall se if i can find them anew from the depths of my computer. ill try to fix this asap.
If not, ill take my wertical grip apart to take new ones, tough they might not be as desciptive because its not possible to show how the piece looked before modifying.

Btw, the grip works like a charm, i have not taken it of my camera since i put it there the first time, not once. Its one of the few things that ive done that really works.
Anssisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anssisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 15:23
Pics are now in working order, hymy had been cleaning his folders again ;)
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Other photographic topics Page  12>