FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wireless Control Feature on Sony HVL-56AM

Page  12>
Author
danieliew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote danieliew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wireless Control Feature on Sony HVL-56AM
    Posted: 21 August 2006 at 10:17
Hi, I just recently purchased a Sony HVL-56AM to use on my Sony A100. While cycling (on the flash unit) thru the Wireless feature mode, I saw that there is a WL Control feature on the flash unit but this is not stated anywhere in the manual. I'm assuming this is to control another wireless flash unit (eg. 3600HS). Can someone shed some light on how I can use this feature? Thanks!

kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 15:12
Using 5600 as a wireless controler was possible with minolta film cameras but not with 7D/5D. I guess a100 isn't different from 7D in this regard :(
danieliew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote danieliew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 16:40
Thanks for the info Kiklop. Another thing is, my HVL-56AM tends to underexpose a little compared to my old Minolta 3600HS. I have to increase the flash power setting on the camera to +1 in order to get a good exposure. Is this normal? I've heard that the 3600HS offers a more accurate exposure....
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 17:02
Originally posted by danieliew danieliew wrote:

my HVL-56AM tends to underexpose a little compared to my old Minolta 3600HS. I have to increase the flash power setting on the camera to +1 in order to get a good exposure. Is this normal? I've heard that the 3600HS offers a more accurate exposure....

Oh . no .. this is a bad news :(
I did sell my minolta 5600HS flash for exactly the same reason. I'm now using 3600 with good results but I'm Sony did some tweaking to the flash and i need more power 3600 doesn't have.
Once i get my Sony HVL-56AM i will report if i experience the same issue (with 7D calibrated at KM service for this)
danieliew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote danieliew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2006 at 11:02
Hi Kiklop, I'm not sure if you mentioned this somewhere else in the forum, but did you also just order the HVL-56AM? If you did, do let me know if you face the same problem as I did. I'm happy with the 3600 exposure but it can't swivel left/right. About the additional power in the 5600, how do we actually experience this? Can the 5600 "reach" further compared to the 3600?
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2006 at 15:07
Yes, i bought HVL-56AM from B&H and i'm waiting it.
Will report back how does it perform on one "flash calibrated" 7d and one non-calibrated 7D (3600 is performing just the same on both bodies)

danieliew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote danieliew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 02:24
I've a question. Can the flash unit itself be calibrated? Instead of the body?
shakyhand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote shakyhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 11:11
Originally posted by Kiklop Kiklop wrote:

Originally posted by danieliew danieliew wrote:

my HVL-56AM tends to underexpose a little compared to my old Minolta 3600HS. I have to increase the flash power setting on the camera to +1 in order to get a good exposure. Is this normal? I've heard that the 3600HS offers a more accurate exposure....

Oh . no .. this is a bad news :(
I did sell my minolta 5600HS flash for exactly the same reason. I'm now using 3600 with good results but I'm Sony did some tweaking to the flash and i need more power 3600 doesn't have.
Once i get my Sony HVL-56AM i will report if i experience the same issue (with 7D calibrated at KM service for this)

I used to have some inconsistent underexposure problems with my KM5600hs. After a while I realized that the power setting on the flash head is lower than 1/1.(It was 1/8). After I reset it to 1/1 everything is fine and I love the flash and planning to add HVL56 for my portable studio....

Just my 2 cents

Edited by shakyhand - 23 August 2006 at 11:13
Maxxum 7D
KM28-75 f2.8
Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro
Sigma 50-500 f4-6.7
Sigma 1.4x TC
Sigma 2x TC
VC-7D
Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2006 at 15:14
I received the new sony HVL-56AM flash today and i'm sad to confirm that it behaves just exactly as the minolta 5600HS.
As i said before i have two 7d and one of them was sent for flash calibration. Unfortunately, both bodies are performing just the same with the Sony flash; underexposure :( And once again, the flash is performing much better in wireless mode than attached on the camera (weird .. weird )
I will use 3600HS as my main flash unit since it does perform much more reliable.
Now, I'm in doubt about the metz flash unit .. I would grab it earlier but I believe I would miss HSS in wireless mode :(
danieliew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote danieliew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2006 at 04:38
Kiklop, sad to hear that there's no improvement on the new unit as well. I too have the 3600 but usually only use it in wireless mode since it can't swivel left/right. I now use the HVL-56 most of the time but need to increase the flash power to 2 steps up (the minor step, not the major step) in order to get a proper exposure.
Fecuska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fecuska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2006 at 06:44

I received the new sony HVL-56AM flash today and i'm sad to confirm that it behaves just exactly as the minolta 5600HS.
As i said before i have two 7d and one of them was sent for flash calibration. Unfortunately, both bodies are performing just the same with the Sony flash; underexposure

According to my knowledge it is the flash itself that can be (re)calibrated. So i think they need the camera body just for sure (the same is true for the body when BF is corrected - some people were asked to send their lenses, as well, others (e.g. me) had to send the body only).
As a conclusion i think this can be the reason of the similar behavior of your 2 bodies.
How many steps do you have to correct with the new sony? Is it reliable when corrected?
Fecuska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fecuska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2006 at 06:54
And a new question: i have and use the Bounce V Reflector Set, a special umbrella-shaped diffuser. It has to be mounted on the top of the flash - this is the function of the two "marks" on both shorter sides of the flash lamp (sorry, i can't describe it better - i hope you can understand it;-) My question is, are this two marks the correct size and position (similar to those on the 5600HS(D) on the 2 new sony flashes? If not, i have no choice and have to buy the 5600HS(D)...
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2006 at 13:00
I do get "good" results with the new flash in wireless mode .. this is just the same behaviour as with my old 5600HS (and this is what have confused me all the time .. i simply cannot understand why is so hard to make appropriate adjustments for on-camera use.)
So far a +1EV correction is working fine but this isn't working so well when the subject is closer (with or without D lenses and in ADI or pure TTL mode)

Originally posted by Fecuska Fecuska wrote:

According to my knowledge it is the flash itself that can be (re)calibrated. So i think they need the camera body just for sure (the same is true for the body when BF is corrected - some people were asked to send their lenses, as well, others (e.g. me) had to send the body only).
As a conclusion i think this can be the reason of the similar behavior of your 2 bodies.

AFAIK, it is the opposite; the camera is the one that needs to be calibrated. The problem is (as Minolta has stated in the past) with preflash metering and the power of preflashes which is too week to make appropriate mettering. But, one of my bodies and 5600 that I had were to Minolta service without big improvements unfortunately. I was hopping that the new flash will be "aware" of this problem since I believe it can be tweaked in the flash firmware something that Sony didn't bothered to work on IMHO)

And a new question: i have and use the Bounce V Reflector Set, a special umbrella-shaped diffuser. It has to be mounted on the top of the flash - this is the function of the two "marks" on both shorter sides of the flash lamp (sorry, i can't describe it better - i hope you can understand it;-) My question is, are this two marks the correct size and position (similar to those on the 5600HS(D) on the 2 new sony flashes? If not, i have no choice and have to buy the 5600HS(D)...

I don't have any 5600 at the moment but if I did understand your question well and if my memory serves me well these "marks" are just the same.
Fecuska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fecuska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2006 at 14:03

According to my knowledge it is the flash itself that can be (re)calibrated...

AFAIK, it is the opposite; the camera is the one that needs to be calibrated...

Hm, a member of the hungarian list was told by an expert that there are some small screws somewhere under the info panel (i can look for the details if needed), and using these srews some corrections can be made (maybe the results are similar than those made by using the flash correction on the body). Obviously not a perfect solution, merely a workaround, but it can work and make our life easier...

I don't have any 5600 at the moment but if I did understand your question well and if my memory serves me well these "marks" are just the same.

Yes, you understood me perfectly, and the "marks" really seem to be the same. Thank you for your help!
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Lighting Page  12>