FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to avoid preflash

Page  12>
Author
gustavjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gustavjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to avoid preflash
    Posted: 23 August 2006 at 11:01
I have a Culmman 36 AF flash which I have used for studio photography, I bounce the flash into the ceiling to trigger the studio flashes, this worked great except the Culmann doesn't work 100% with my Minolta 5D, which means it fires maximum each time and take 5-10 seconds to recharge.

So I bought a Minolta 2500D which works great, it recharges withing 1 second, but the studio lights are now triggered before or after I take the picture, I guess this is because of some preflash, which means I get dark pictures (I might as well not have used any flash at all)
How do I avoid that ?
Best Regards
Gustav

shakyhand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote shakyhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 11:16
I used the built in flash set at manual power 1/16 to trigger my cheapo china made strobe. No pre flash so far....
Maxxum 7D
KM28-75 f2.8
Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro
Sigma 50-500 f4-6.7
Sigma 1.4x TC
Sigma 2x TC
VC-7D
Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG

Post Options Post Options   Quote gustavjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 11:44
I have tried that too, the problem is that it flashes directly into the model, and this ruins the lighting

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fuzzphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 12:38
Piece of aluminium foil to bounce it away, maybe?
Joris' Fuzzphoto gallery | A77II, A700+VG, NEX-5, other gear

Post Options Post Options   Quote gustavjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 12:44
Hmmm, yes maybe a good idea
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote shakyhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 13:33
Sometimes I used my 5600hs on manual with 1/32 power and pointed somewhere else....
Maxxum 7D
KM28-75 f2.8
Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro
Sigma 50-500 f4-6.7
Sigma 1.4x TC
Sigma 2x TC
VC-7D
Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG

Post Options Post Options   Quote gustavjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 14:25
Shakyhand:
That is what I do, I use the flash on lowest setting and shoot it up in the ceiling.
The problem is that my 2500D seem to send out a preflash that triggers the studio flashes, which means that when the camera exposes the picture there is not flash light.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote shakyhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 15:05
Ok then, I will do my mini studio shooting only this weekend... busy with my day job...

So far I have no problem with pre-flash when I set my 5600hs to manual. But I'm not sure if I've set my 7D to manual flash instead of pre-TTL or ADI.

I think if you set the 7D or maybe 5D to manual flash it will not pre-flash.

If this doesn't work, fuzzbass idea with aluminium foil sound like a good idea...

Maxxum 7D
KM28-75 f2.8
Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro
Sigma 50-500 f4-6.7
Sigma 1.4x TC
Sigma 2x TC
VC-7D
Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG
kanzlr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kanzlr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 15:41
manual flash has no preflash as the preflash is for metering so the flash knows how much output is needed for the real flash.

i only use flashes with syncro cable so i can use wireless TTL flashes in addition. maybe this is also an option?
Bob S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bob S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 15:53
Your best bet would be to buy one of those cheap flash triggers from ebay and connect it with an FS-1100 (or a generic FS-1100 from ebay).

Bob S.

VainHedonism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote VainHedonism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 08:47
5ds dont have a manual flash setting. its obnoxious when using studio lights. i dont know if the 2500D has a manual mode. i know for a fact, the built in pop up flash will ALWAYS prefire. the only way i was able to do this, because it was an emergency the night of a shoot, was to use the 2 second timer. the camera will preflash at the beginning of the 2 sec, then at the rear curtain. my strobes would fire once for the preflash, then cycle and hit again on the "real" flash. if youre doing models, i suggest a generic adapter and radio trigger off ebay. or a "dumb" flash that wont meter.
there's nothing worse than a sharp picture of a fuzzy concept. -a. adams

nikon d1X, sb80DX, sb25, tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8, tokina 80-200 2.8

Post Options Post Options   Quote gustavjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 11:01
Correct, the 5D does not allow manual flash :-(
I have a old dumb flash, but it always fires at maximum and takes 5-10 second to recharge
I have the FS-1100 and tried using it with a flash trigger (which I borrowed at the studio) but it does not trigger at all. That is why I bought the Minolta 2500D, but this does not seem to work either.
It is strange that it should be that difficult to do such a simple thing.
Preflash TTL might be a great advanced feature, but it sucks that it can't be turned off.

I found out, that if I cover my flash with the hand the studio flash wont trigger on the weak preflash, but only on the real flash discharge. So I guess I could make some kind of cover out of a piece of paper etc, that should solve it

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bob S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 15:09
I've heard that using a piece of exposed film - not sure if it was color or B&W - over the flash can give a semi-IR for triggring. Of course, this doesn't help with the pre-flash.

I don't understand why the FS-1100 and flash trigger did not work - I use mine almost daily. Did you remember to take the strobe out of slave mode (the one with the receiver plugged into it)? Also, sometimes distance can play a factor in getting the trigger to fire - it won't fire sometimes if the trigger & receiver are too close to each other.

Bob S.
Micholand View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Knowledgebase Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Quote Micholand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2006 at 18:36
Have a look into this old post on dpreview: 3600HSD without pre-flash
Should work with 2500D flash, too.
/Michael

DWEs don't grow on trees! | Posting images&links FAQ
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Lighting Page  12>