FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Belated Christmas gift for Dynax/Maxxum/Alpha 9 .

Page  12>
Author
Conny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Conny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belated Christmas gift for Dynax/Maxxum/Alpha 9 .
    Posted: 27 December 2010 at 21:44
...owners!

Hi folks,

Dyxum member Matthias Paul found out an easy way, how to "transform" a Dynax 9 into a Dynax 9ti. So far he published his manual on the German Mi-Fo in German only ( http://www.mi-fo.de/forum/index.php?showtopic=28555), thatīs why I want to give you a short summary in English. It works on all ADI/SSM upgraded 9ers and on Non upgraded 9ers as well. We upgraded more than 10 Dynax 9 on Christmas this way, all cameras work like a 9ti now!
Note one exception, please! The upgrade will NOT work on the very
first Dynaxes with the first series board inside.
Do it step by step, even if it looks a little weird. Possibly you have
to try it twice or 3x, but it definitely works..... if you DO IT STEP BY STEP!

.     Turn your camera on.
.     If there is a film in the cam, rewind it and remove it, close and
      lock the door.
.     If there is a lens attached, remove it. Put the cap on the cam.
.     Open the battery door but ensure the batteries stay in the chamber.
.     Wait for 5 seconds.
.     Push the manual-rewind button and hold it (under right-hand side control panel door).
.     Close and lock battery door.
.     Release manual-rewind button, do not push any other button.
.     All LCDīs (even the red AF marks and the green background light)
      should _be_ lit now.
.     Push "AEL" and hold it.
.     If the display on the top of the camera shows a "0" now    (usually it does), push "AEL" for another 5 seconds.
.     Possibly the display will turn from "0" to "1" after appr. 5
seconds.
.     Release AEL button if "1" shows up or after appr. 10 seconds.
.     Open battery door.
. _   Put Cam on lock.
.     Close battery door.
.     Turn camera on.

If all works as it should be, there will be "CUSt 22" and "CUSt 23"
available on your cam.

The on Mi-Fo attached PDF describes all new functions of "your Dynax/Maxxum/Alpha 9 Ti". If you need it, send me a note, as I canīt attach the file here, afaik.

Kind regards,
Rolf

P.S. You do it on your own risk! Heh, no risk, no fun! ;-)

Edited by Conny1 - 27 December 2010 at 21:49

rovhazman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Knowledge Base Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Quote rovhazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 00:57
Once again, thank you Rolf!

It worked with my upgraded Maxxum 9, but didn't work with the non-upgraded one. I guess it is one of the old bodies (SN 11001435).

I cannot download the PDF file. You need to be a registered member on Mi-Fo.
andijs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote andijs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 14:03
Thank you again! I did it! It was very very easy even with battery grip attached.
hotwire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hotwire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 17:05
Repost of a very old post:
http://forum.shutterbug.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7414&an=0&page=0
Originally posted by Matthais Paul Matthais Paul wrote:

Dear Minolta fans.

I just stumbled upon this thread and think I can throw in some useful information here.

A little known fact of the "SSM upgrade" of the Minolta Dynax/Maxxum/Alpha 9 is that in addition to full SSM lens support including DMF (Direct Manual Focus) with SSM lens, the upgrade implies added camera support for the ADI (Advanced Distance Integration) flash exposure system in conjunction with (D) series lens (with built-in distance encoder) and the built-in flash or (D) style external flashes. Given that only two high-priced SSM lenses are (kind of) available so far, in practice I personally find ADI flash a much more useful feature addition than the SSM support as is.

Unfortunately, ownership of a (D) series lens does not entitle to a free SSM/ADI upgrade according to Minolta and Konica Minolta, however, if you buy a new SSM lens, you should find a coupon in the package with which you can let upgrade one 9 (or 9Ti) body free of charge. Otherwise the upgrade costs 150 Euro per body (without VAT) over here in Europe, which is somewhat pricey, I think, but understandable when considering that the upgrade involves the replacement of the main electronics flexiboard of the camera or - alternatively - the main controller IC on the mainboard be removed and replaced by a special SSM-type version of that chip. Since it is rather risky to resolder fine pitch SMD ICs on a temperature-sensitive flexiboard, if you ever have a chance, I would insist on let them change the whole electronics rather than just that IC (I assume they prefer this as well as long as parts supply lasts). From the hardware point of view there is no difference between a SSM/ADI upgrade for a normal black 9 body or for a silver 9Ti body, the electronics needs to be changed in both cases, unfortunately. From the viewpoint of the user, there are, of course, differences.

The 9Ti has extra custom functions 22 (22-1 and 22-2) and 23 (23-1 and 23-2), an extra entry under function 18 (18-4), neither of which are available on normal black 9 bodies, and changes to entries 14-2 and 18-3.

The fact, that the SSM/ADI upgrade adds ADI flash exposure to the camera, has the nice effect of providing some means to easily distinguish upgraded bodies from unmodified units even without a SSM lens at hands, as the upgrade adds a new entry to custom function 20. If this function has four entries (that is, 20-4 exists), you can be sure, it's an upgraded model, as otherwise the function will have only 3 entries.

In contrast to what the cited Sony answer suggests, the SSM/ADI upgrade does not incorporate upgrading a black body to 9Ti specs, functions-wise. That is, the extra custom functions (except for 20-4) still do not normally exist on black bodies after the upgrade. Of course, 9Ti bodies do not loose their extra functions during the upgrade.

Here is an overview on changed custom functions:
Code:

9               9Ti               9 + SSM/ADI     9Ti + SSM/ADI
========= =============== ================= =============== =================
14 AF area display

14-1   LED 0.1s        LED 0.1s          LED 0.1s        LED 0.1s
   14-2   LED 0.4s        LED 0.6s [1]      LED 0.6s [1]    LED 0.6s [1]
   14-3   with button     with button       with button     with button

18 Control dial Tasking

18-1   no Pa/Ps shift no Ps/Ps shift    no Pa/Ps shift no Ps/Ps shift
   18-2   Pa+Ps shift     Pa+Ps shift       Pa+Ps shift     Pa+Ps shift
   18-3   exp.-comp. [2] Pa+exp.-comp. [2] exp.-comp. [2] Pa+exp.-comp. [2]
   18-4   -/-             Ps+exp.-comp. [2] -/-             Ps+exp.-comp. [2]

20 Flash Metering

20-1   4-seg. TTL [3] 4-seg. TTL [3]    ADI [4]        ADI [4]
   20-2   average TTL [5] average TTL [5]   4-seg. TTL [6] 4-seg. TTL [6]
   20-3   spot TTL [5]    spot TTL [5]      average TTL [5] average TTL [5]
   20-4   -/-             -/-               spot TTL [5]    spot TTL [5]

22 AF Illuminator

22-1   -/-             enabled [7]       -/-             enabled [7]
   22-2   -/-             disabled          -/-             disabled

23 Front/Rear Control Dial Lock

23-1   -/-             off               -/-             off
   23-2   -/-             on               -/-             on

[1] Focus area LED delay time is customizable by Minolta service between 0.1s and 1.6s in 0.1s increments.

[2] Exposure compensation range via control dial is +/-3 EV in both 1/2 EV and 1/3 EV steps (in contrast to only +/-2 EV in 1/3 EV steps via the dedicated exposure compensation dial).

[3] The camera will automatically select among pre-flash (P-TTL-OTF) or TTL 4-segment flash (TTL-OTF) metering depending on if a HSS-capable flash is used (and HSS is enabled) or not.

[4] The camera will automatically select among ADI, pre-flash, or TTL 4-segment flash metering depending on the lens and flash combination shown in the chart below.

[5] It is not 100% clear from the docs, if this mode will take advantage of pre-flash metering (P-TTL-OTF) with HSS-capable flashes and HSS on, or if it will always use plain TTL-OTF with corresponding weighting. Several notes suggest that it does not use pre-flash metering at all.

[6] It is not 100% clear from the docs, if this mode works identical to [3] in regard to the optional usage of pre-flash (P-TTL-OTF) metering, or if it will always use plain TTL-OTF (similar to [5]). I assume the latter.

[7] Fires only when required in AF-A or AF-S modes with AF enabled.

The following chart lists what flash metering is used with custom function 20-1 on SSM/ADI-upgraded bodies when using autofocus. The Program Flash 2500(D) should be set to ADI and other program flash units set to TTL.

Code:

Flash                                 (D) lens               Other lens
============================= =========================== ======================

5600HS(D)/3600HS(D) (HSS on) ADI metering with pre-flash Pre-flash metering [8]
5600HS(D)/3600HS(D) (HSS off)        TTL-metering             TTL metering

2500(D) (no HSS)              ADI metering with pre-flash Pre-flash metering [8]

5400HS (HSS on)                   Pre-flash metering      Pre-flash metering [8]
5400HS (HSS off)                     TTL metering             TTL metering

Other Program flashes (no HSS)       TTL metering             TTL metering

Built-in flash (no HSS)       ADI metering without pre-flash TTL metering

[8] TTL metering is used in manual focus. Manual focus have no affect on the other flash/lens combinations.

Another nice effect of the SSM/ADI upgrade in conjunction with using (D) series lenses is that distance information from the lens is used to determine exposure with the 14-segment honeycomb-pattern metering system in both, manual focus as well as autofocus modes. Metered exposure values may differ slightly between autofocus and manual focus. Without the upgrade, it would switch back to center-weighted average or spot metering in manual focus.

The only focusing and metering related features an upgraded 9/9Ti body still lacks compared to a Dynax/Maxxum/Alpha 7 is DMF with non-SSM lens and 14-segment honeycomb-pattern metering with non-(D) series lenses in manual focus. This is, because the camera lacks the necessary electro-mechanics to support these features (direct AF/MF coupler and extra distance encoder in the camera).

The SSM/ADI upgrade does not cause any new compatibility issues with third-party lens (driving to the conclusion, that the well-known problems the 7 had were neither caused by added ADI or SSM support, but solely by support for the Data Saver DS-100). So, if your lens works with the unmodified 9/9Ti, it will still work after the upgrade.

Finally, the upgrade includes a number of rather subtle feature enhancements including enhanced viewfinder displays (numeric exposure compensation display when exposure compensation is changed, shutter speed and aperture display when metered value is held on independent of Eyestart status and kept on for a while after metering is unlocked, focus indicator in self-timer mode), improved power-management (for a better battery life) and flash exposure reliability with the built-in flash (the flash now charges exactly - and only - when actually required, with or without Eyestart). Also, it is now possible to use the IR-1/IR-1(N) infrared remote trigger in conjunction with wireless flash. These improvements are also present on all 9Ti bodies (regardless of the SSM/ADI upgrade) and the more-recent black 9 bodies with newer firmware, however, they are not available on older black units with original firmware [9]. As a nice sideeffect, the SSM/ADI upgrade brings all units, even the old ones, to the very latest specs. Given all these little improvements, I think, the upgrade is highly recommendable - even to people without SSM lens.

Hope this info will be useful to some.

Kind regards,

Matthias Paul

PS. [9] Die-hard Minolta fans of the "black beauty" may feel free to contact me privately if their camera body is either SSM/ADI upgraded already or shows the above mentioned improved behaviour. I may have some extra sweets for you... :)
a99ii; Maxxum 9

CZ: 16-35, 24-70/2.8, 135/1.8; Minolta: 50/1.4; MC58/1.2; 85/1.4GD 300/2.8; 500/8; 600/4; Tam: 90/2.8M; Sig: 12-24/4.5-5.6; 15/2.8; Sony: 35/1.4G; 135STF, 70-200/2.8G
matthiaspaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote matthiaspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2010 at 20:08
Dear Dynax 9 users.

I originally planned to publish this bit of information on Christmas evening here as well, but didn't manage due to snow / travel chaos and illness.

Since Rolf has already posted a translation of the described activation procedure for the Dynax 9Ti custom functions on black Dynax 9 bodies, I would just like to flesh this out a little with some background information. While I am using the European name Dynax 9 inhere, the procedure will work with Maxxum 9 and Alpha-9 models just as well, of course.

In fact, this is only one out of three known methods how to activate these functions, but it is the only one, which does not require any special tools (such as a service adapter and corresponding service software only available to authorized repair shops) or deeper technical knowledge (using an undocumented upload mode of the DM-9 to load a previously saved and patched configuration block back into the camera - a method I found out many years ago), and if you follow the instructions bit by bit, it cannot cause any harm to the camera. However, by pressing the "rewind" button during the power-on cycle, the camera will enter an undocumented diagnosis mode (hence all display segments will light up for visual inspection), and you must not press any other keys (except for "AEL") in this mode as they either do or may serve other purposes which may cause the camera's internal configuration to be changed in undesirable ways requiring a reconfiguration in a service facility. If, however, you stick just to the "rewind" and "AEL" buttons no harm can be done.

As I explained in the various SSM/ADI upgrade threads at Minolta-Forum and here at Dyxum, there are basically three revisions of the Dynax 9 circuit board, the original circuit board (I) used in early Dynax 9 units, the bug-fixed circuit board with various minor usability enhancements and added 9Ti custom-functions (II) used in later Dynax 9 and Dynax 9Ti units, and the SSM/ADI enhanced circuit board (III) used in SSM/ADI upgraded Dynax 9 and Dynax 9Ti bodies. Production cameras came with board revisions I or II, depending on age and model, revision III was only available as a customer upgrade, not used in any production cameras. Revision II and III boards will have to be set to either Dynax 9 or Dynax 9Ti personality in the factory (or after repair in a repair shop) using a dedicated service adapter connected to the camera.

Over the years I approached (Konica) Minolta and corresponding service facilities at numerous times trying to order a (paid) upgrade of my Dynax 9 to Dynax 9Ti functionality, simply because I preferred the black stainless steel body over the Titanium shell body but did not want to miss the extra functions of the 9Ti. They responded, this would be impossible for technical reasons, either because the camera would detect the reconfiguration and intentiously "lock up", or because the cameras would differ internally and were not compatible and upgradable. However, knowing for sure that the Dynax 9 and Dynax 9Ti actually use the same circuit board in different configurations, I never believed in this and instead started to explore how to enable the missing functions myself. Somewhen early in 2006, I developed a hack for myself by "abusing" an undocumented service mode of the data back DM-9, but it was too cumbersome to publish to a wider audience, however this is why I was sometimes hinting at some "extra candies" to be revealed at some later stage, and why I always strongly recommended to have the SSM/ADI upgrade done by all means (since a revision I board would be exchanged by a revision III board this way). Sometime later I found out that - at least on revision II and III boards - the camera implements a function (AEL) to toggle the camera's personality itself ("0" = Dynax 9 personality, "1" = Dynax 9Ti personality). Given the other existing (and to service facilities well-documented) method to set the personality using the service adapter, I can only speculate on the reasons for the existance of this second method. Perhaps Minolta planned to offer a (paid?) custom modification to Dynax 9 owners to enable the 9Ti functions carried out by a wider range of repair shops without service adapter at a later stage, but never managed to properly distribute this information to their service facilities, or perhaps some wise engineer at Minolta in 1999 foresaw the struggles of the future and implemented this as a backdoor to provide means to enable these features in an unclear and distant future, I don't know.

Well, Konica Minolta has declared that their official support for Konica Minolta, Minolta and Konica photo equipment will stop on 2010-12-31, therefore I think time has come to finally make this information public twelve years after the photokina preannouncement (1998-09) and official introduction of the original Dynax 9 (1998-12-19), celebrating Minolta's 70th anniversary (1928-11-11), and eleven years after the introduction of the Dynax 9Ti (1999-11).

Have fun,

Matthias

PS. If you distribute this information to other places I would like to kindly ask you to include a link to the original source of information at Minolta-Forum:

http://www.mi-fo.de/forum/index.php?showtopic=28555
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic71107.html

And perhaps you could post links to these places here in this thread as well so that we all can keep track of them in case of any updates. Thanks.

Edited by matthiaspaul - 30 December 2010 at 13:51
--

Minolta-Forum (MiFo) - German forum for the Minolta, Konica, Konica Minolta and Sony world of photography: http://www.mi-fo.de
andijs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote andijs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 06:09
Matthias you are hero! Thank you very much!

algernon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote algernon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 06:18
I don't own a 9, but nevertheless I find this most interesting! Quite a nice Christmas present, I guess

Regards,
Adrian

"You are what you is" - I.R. Baboon
Flickr page
DaveK View Drop Down
Knowledge Base Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 07:59
Very nice Matthias (and Conny). Thnx for this! You're great!
Best regards, Dave
A7r & A7r3
Let's make a colorful world!
Gallery
wolfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 08:26
Thanks for the info Matthius and Rolf, unfortunately it didnt work with my 9, probably v1 electronics SN 12903821.

Regards
Nik
---

7, 9, 7D, A100, A700, A900. M20/2.8, Arax35/2.8T&S, M50/1.4, CZ85/1.4, Sig105/2.8macro, Ta17-50/2.8, CZ24-70/2.8, CZ135/1.8, M80-200/2.8HSG, M300/2.8APOG, M600/4HSG. 5600HSD, MFC1000+2400+1200.
Conny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Conny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 09:52
Hi folks,

since I received some Pmīs in regard to the ADI/SSM upgrades in Bremen the last days, I talked to the Runtime tech, doing all upgrades, yesterday (2010-12-29). I got to know, that ca. 80 boards are still available. Runtime will do the upgrades till those boards are out of stock, no matter the official support for Konica Minolta, Minolta and Konica photo equipment stops on 2010-12-31, like Matthias rightly said. The costs are still as previously mentioned:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/dynax-9-ssm-upgrade-available-again_topic45829_page4.html

Kind regards,
Rolf
matthiaspaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote matthiaspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 12:03
Originally posted by wolfy wolfy wrote:

Thanks for the info Matthius and Rolf, unfortunately it didnt work with my 9, probably v1 electronics SN 12903821.

I'm sorry to hear that.

It seems some people have problems to enter the diagnosis mode (wherein all the display segments will light up) at all. However, this is a function, which is implemented in all revisions of the camera, including revision I. So, if the display does not light up, you either did not press the rewind button firmly enough or did not follow the instructions closely enough (the camera must be set to "on", and the rewind button must be pressed while the battery power gets reestablished by closing the battery door again). If this is the case, retry it (perhaps using some tool to press the somewhat recessed rewind button).

Once you have entered diagnosis mode (important: don't press any other keys but AEL in this mode!), if the display does not change to "0" or "1" when pressing AEL, you have a revision I board, unfortunately, and there is nothing you could do about it but change it to a revision II or III board (for example by the SSM/ADI upgrade).

If, however, the display changes to "0" immediately after pressing AEL, but does not switch to "1" after some seconds, you did not press the AEL button firmly enough. The mode switch will only work if you press the AEL button constantly without any interruption for more than about five seconds. If you get interrupted and the key press was too short or doubled, it won't work and you will have to repeat the whole procedure from scratch to regain access to this mode change option.

Hope it helps,

Matthias

Edited by matthiaspaul - 30 December 2010 at 12:19
--

Minolta-Forum (MiFo) - German forum for the Minolta, Konica, Konica Minolta and Sony world of photography: http://www.mi-fo.de
wolfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 13:52
Hi Matthias

Yes the camera enters diagnosis mode (ie all LED light up), but the display never changes to a "0" or "1", which is why I suspected a rev1 board.

Thanks for your help.
---

7, 9, 7D, A100, A700, A900. M20/2.8, Arax35/2.8T&S, M50/1.4, CZ85/1.4, Sig105/2.8macro, Ta17-50/2.8, CZ24-70/2.8, CZ135/1.8, M80-200/2.8HSG, M300/2.8APOG, M600/4HSG. 5600HSD, MFC1000+2400+1200.
walti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote walti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 10:21
Matthias (and Rolf), many thanks to all of you for this Christmas 'easter egg' :)

BTW, the process is fully reversable, redoing it from the beginning toggles the LCD from 0 to 1 every time.

Thanks again!
Conny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Conny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 10:51
Originally posted by walti walti wrote:

Matthias (and Rolf), many thanks to all of you for this Christmas 'easter egg' :)

BTW, the process is fully reversable, redoing it from the beginning toggles the LCD from 0 to 1 every time.

Thanks again!

My pleasure, Matthias is the egghead, though!
You are right, of course, we also did it with two cameras.
Just fun, no risk!
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > Film cameras Page  12>