FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

first frame problem and UK service

Page  12>
Author
neoruanuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote neoruanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first frame problem and UK service
    Posted: 10 November 2006 at 10:58
My camera Dynax 7D also got the first frame blackout problem. I want to get if fixed.

I am in UK, so I called the service number 01782753366, which is on SONY's website. It is an independent company called JP Service Solutions. I was told that it may take 4-6 weeks for repair because they may have to order the parts from Japan directly.

Is there anybody had some experience with UK service and this problem?

Could you tell me how long did it take you or whether this problem is fixable after all?

Thanks!

ldk62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ldk62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 12:05
In Czech Republic tooks of "first black frame = AF exchange" repair 3 weeks, parts ordered from Belgium.
Absolutly no problem.
FF:800si | A850 | CZ 16-35/2.8 | CZ24-70/2.8 | 70-200/2.8 SSM G | Fish S 16/2.8 | S50/f1.4 | M100/2.8 | 200/2.8 APO HS G | Σ50-500 | TC: S1.4 + S2 ,Kenk 1.4.

APS-C: A33| 18-250 |
nigelbrooks View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group

Post Options Post Options   Quote nigelbrooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 14:47
If it's under warranty, return to the retailer and demand a loaner while it's fixed. Remind them of their obligations under European law to repair 'within a reasonable time'.

On the bright side of course, it may not need parts, but 4-6 weeks is simply nonsense.

I have posted before that Nikon have a 4-5 DAY turn-round time and, for some reapirs, Canon have a walk-in-and-wait service.

I've no intention of defecting to Canikon, but poor service (on the assumption of a 4-6 weeks worse case scenario) is something we don't have to put up with.
I've been away!
neoruanuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote neoruanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 20:06
Thank you both for the input!
finnt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote finnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 21:35
My 7D had the shutter assembly replaced to solve the "black frame" problem. was away for 3 weeks here in Denmark.

Finn
Tindrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tindrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 23:10
The JP stands for Johnsons Photopia, and they used to be the Ricoh main supplier from the 80s onward. I believe the actual repairs were sourced to Germany from what I've read.

WildWater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WildWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 23:18
I recently had a chat to JP about flash calibration for my 7D. They also warned me of a possible 4-6 week turnaround, but only because they are still only slowly getting the test equipment they need and may have to send the camera to Germany.

Perhaps I'm gullible (or an optimist!) but I was convinced that they have been struggling hard to give as good service as they can with insufficient resources but that these are coming through and it will get better.
Chris
jkpaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jkpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 11:44
for the same first frame black problem I'm also being quoted 4-6 wks turnaround.
As they have had this problem and the service contract for some time now, presumably getting new test / repair equipment cannot be the cause of the delay still, can it?

Does anyone have experience of being quoted this and getting repairs back faster?

Or has anyone found joy with nigelbrooks' suggestion of putting pressure on the retailer?

Or does anyone know of a faster way of getting repairs anywhere else?

Thanks,
jkp
WildWater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WildWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 22:47
Everyone you hear from is told 4-6 weeks. It must be on a standard answer sheet!
I got my come uppance for talking to the repairers (see above) three weeks later my 7D had AS failure and I was told 4-6 weeks for this too. They will have had the camers for 2 months on Monday....

Last time I called they said parts were ordered from Germany but Germany was out of stock so they had ordered from Japan (no info on their stock!).

They don't seem to answer emails - or not mine anyway - but phoning them is good.

Good luck
Chris
Steve Foster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Foster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 16:05
4-6 weeks is that all.

When I had to take my 24-105 lens in for a repair it took 8 weeks for them to send me a lens back, which was not MY lens. It took them another 9 weeks to find my lens repair it and send it back to me.
Everyone likes a kidder, but no one lend him money
Steve Foster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Foster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 16:06
Although they did refund me my cost of L98.00.
Everyone likes a kidder, but no one lend him money
WildWater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WildWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 19:00
4-6 weeks is not all.. It's just what they always say! My 7D has been with them for 2 months. On the telephone this week (don't bother emailing them) they said the parts have been in for a while and they could't understand why it hadn't been sent back - I should call again in a week (sic) to find out.

JPSS seem like nice enough people but a not very organised. Incidentally they also said only 15 First Frame Black returns since April so it didn't seem to be the problem that has been reported in some areas.
Chris
nigelbrooks View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group

Post Options Post Options   Quote nigelbrooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 00:01
Manufacturers offer one year, EU law dictates two years minimum.
I've been away!
Tindrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tindrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 00:12
Actually UK law can cover up to 6 years, if the equipment is considered to have an inherent fault (which the black frame problem seems to be). Check out the DTI website for more info.

As for JP, I could actually take a walk up there as only about 2 miles from me....
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount APS-C Page  12>