FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7D black frame = camera now completely dead

Page  12>
Author
natamambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote natamambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7D black frame = camera now completely dead
    Posted: 21 November 2006 at 11:02
My Dad has a 7D which is just of warranty (ouch). I discovered a couple of weeks back that it had the first black frame problem but he had been ignoring it for ages. Now the camera won't take any photos at all - every shot is black. Has anyone else seen it happen to this extent? Anyone in Oz tried to get it fixed? - if so warranty or paid and does any one know how much it will cost to get fixed?
A900; A700;17-35;28-70G;28-135;70-200GSSM;70-300GSSM;2XAPO(D)TC;85 1.4G;100 macro;5600HS(D)

gian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 11:34
Hi Graham, afaik it happened only to another 7D user, Kiklop. He has sent his 7D to be serviced by Sony, but there are no news about it so far.

Some 5D users reported this bad behaviour too, (include myself here).
I think that I will have to send my camera to be repaired till the warranty is still valid...

Could you give us some more info about any symptom/warning before the un-reversible failure?
::: Gianluca ::: Gallery ::: Life is once, forever - Henri Cartier-Bresson
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 12:31
I had the same problem (see this)
I was able to get it work again (but with the first black syndrome) by cleaning all contacts and using brand new batteries.
It is at Sony repair centre now (Germany) and i will report back once i have some news (hopefully good).
natamambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote natamambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 13:12
I am experiencing the problem on my 5D as well, very rarely but nevertheless..., it is still under warranty for another 3 years (original 1 year warranty expires in Feb and it has a store warranty as well), I'll send it in for repair after Christmas but I don't want to go on holidays with only the one body. My 7D has only done it twice and both times many months ago and it too has a store warranty for a total of 4 years. I am concerned more about Dad's because it is out of warranty. I knew you had experienced the problem Kiklop but not to the extent of total shut down. Have you been given an estimate of repair costs?
A900; A700;17-35;28-70G;28-135;70-200GSSM;70-300GSSM;2XAPO(D)TC;85 1.4G;100 macro;5600HS(D)
natamambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote natamambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 13:16
Originally posted by gian gian wrote:

Could you give us some more info about any symptom/warning before the un-reversible failure?

Gian, afaik there was just increasing occurrence of the black shot until last weekend when he tried to use it at a baptism and every shot came out the same, turning the 7D on and off, removing & re-inserting the card and battery made no difference, just total shut down. He had to go and get his point and shoot just to get the photos of the rest of the baptisms and all that while he was meant to be taking part in the service as well - every photographer's nightmare gig.
kiklop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum owner

Post Options Post Options   Quote kiklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 13:17
Originally posted by natamambo natamambo wrote:

Have you been given an estimate of repair costs?

Not yet. The body i have sent (i have two 7Ds and both are exhibiting this problem) is newer one (less than one year old i guess), bought here, from another member); i have warranty card but unfortunately isn't signed so i will need to pay the cost.
Will let you know; i told them that i want this fixed, no matter of the cost (i really wish to have at least one 7D in perfect shape).
I expect to see it back in the next week or two but as we know .. this is hard to estimate :(

gian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 13:28
Originally posted by natamambo natamambo wrote:

Gian, afaik there was just increasing occurrence of the black shot until last weekend when he tried to use it at a baptism and every shot came out the same, turning the 7D on and off, removing & re-inserting the card and battery made no difference, just total shut down. He had to go and get his point and shoot just to get the photos of the rest of the baptisms and all that while he was meant to be taking part in the service as well - every photographer's nightmare gig.

Thanks... It is quite the same of Kiklop's report. It just happened again right now to my 5D. I will make a statistic about how often it does happen so I will know when it is going to stop working definitely.... :-(
::: Gianluca ::: Gallery ::: Life is once, forever - Henri Cartier-Bresson
slnce-z-gsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote slnce-z-gsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 13:59
Well, just to add myself on the black list - I also experienced 2 or 3 of black pics upt to now - bout last time 3 months ago. As my camera has still more than a year of waranty - I do not hurry to send it for a repair. It would anyhow come back with a message "no error found"

Concerning the SONY repair service in Germany (Beremen) - there I have experience already. I've sent for a repairement my Minolta macro 100/2.8 lens (second genearion) as it was focusing systematically too far (3 - 5%) [No, it was NOT a camera problem as one would expect - that I have tested with another macro lens and I have also tested the lens with different camera]It came back for 40 euros unrepaired with a "NO PROBLEM FOUND" - so I've sent it back with some example images - I am expecting the answer soon.

MAtus..
Cekari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cekari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 22:37
Eeek, this sounds bad for the 7Ds out there, I better put my into the frezer until a cure is found ... :/

Images https://www.flickr.com/photos/cekari/sets/ ,

English is a funny language, seldom it spells the words like I do
ab012 View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group

Post Options Post Options   Quote ab012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 22:48
If it is 'just' out of warranty you can try giving Progear a ring to see what they say.. best of luck

ps make sure it is not the batteries thats the problem...
Bernard

fun fun fun
natamambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote natamambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 04:16
Have talked to Progear, the service agents here in Oz. Very helpful (but it is out of warranty so.....). Two parts need to be replaced, the AF charge plate and the shutter. No problem getting the parts and the repair is abou $400AUD inc 10% GST. Camera will head to Sydney on the weekend, I'll let you know how we get on.
Saleen219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Saleen219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 05:55
Geeze, am I glad now that I sold my 7D!
http://www.djkennedy.com
natamambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote natamambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 06:54
Saleen, I would have thought my Dad would feel that way about the Minolta, but he loves the lenses so much that he was prepared to fix it or buy a refurbished one somehow, or buy an A100 body when the price comes down a bit.

The 7D is a great camera (as is the 5D which also exhibits the same problem), it's a pity that it's reputation is tarnished by what I suspect is a very small percentage of the whole, and forums like this one feed the witch hunt unfortunately.

My 7D and Dad's 7D were bought within days of each other and just a couple of weeks before the 5D was released, so presumably the 5D was already in production. As they use the same shutter hardware I can't help but wonder if all the "sick" cameras are off the same batch of shutters - there are threads elsewhere on Dyxum trying to confirm this.
keith_h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote keith_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 07:15
I am sorry to hear of everyone's problems with the black frame issue. As this is a known issue with the product I would think that Sony should consider an extended warranty as they did with the sensors for the D7i.

Some years ago the Ford Taurus had a recurring engine issue which Ford honored for 7 years on the quiet. Kia have a goodwill engine replacement program here on a model which has a known engine defect. If car manufactures can do this, why not Sony?

How can we accelerate the analysis and lobby Sony for an extended warranty for this problem? I urge everyone to complete the information in the 5D and 7D threads to we can gather some data for a start.
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount APS-C Page  12>