FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First shot black *PROBLEM SOLVED*

Page  12>
Author
Ivan Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ivan Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First shot black *PROBLEM SOLVED*
    Posted: 05 December 2006 at 18:09
The problem is related with the electrical current I think, I just cleaned the battery contacts with "isopropilic" alcohol, now the problem is gone!

It is NOT necessary to replace the shutter! the shutter is made to last more than 30.000 cycles!

I heard some people that sent their camera to replace the shutter... I THINK that when they change the shutter, they clean all camera contacts, clean the sensor... etc, so the solution is not related to the shutter.

I`m very very happy that my camera is now working 100%!!

omerbey View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group
Moderator emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Quote omerbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 18:14
great!
trondeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote trondeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 18:37
Well, I really doubt this. I have a 7D that had this problem. I did what you have tried, cleaned battery and even the lens-contacts, and it seemed that the problem disappeared. Well, I am afraid that this black frame problem WILL get worse over time, and the only way to fix it is to replace the shutter. If it works for you, great, but I am afraid you will be disappointed 6 months from now :-(

Regards
Trond Hagescter

Please visit me at Zenfolio

Sony A700
Ivan Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ivan Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 18:41
hmmmm this is bad... so the problem will start happening again?
jaje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 18:44
Hi Ivan,

Can you give some details so we know your solution actually fixed the problem?

For example,

how frequent was the problem before you cleaned the contacts?

How much trouble-free use have you had since you cleaned them?

Many people with black frame issues have reported it as an occasional or intermittent problem --> sometimes only occurring once in 2 months time (very difficult to troubleshoot --> you would need 4-6 months trouble-free operation to confirm that the issue was solved).

If it turns out you have solved this problem, I'm thinking you will deserve an award for service to the Dyxum community.

Jay
trondeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote trondeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 18:47
Yes, I am really sorry to bring the bad news. My camera had this for about a year before it at the end was so bad that I had to do the fire-freeze-turn off-on sequence many times every time I used the camera. In the beginning, the problem was very random and it could be fine for weeks at the time. But, at the end, the shutter had to be replaced :-(

I was so lucky that this was covered by the warranty.

Regards
Trond Hagescter

Please visit me at Zenfolio

Sony A700

sybersitizen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sybersitizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 18:59
The contact cleaning thing has been reported many times as successful, but more often unsuccessful. Similar story with shutter replacement - sometimes that corrects the problem and sometimes it doesn't. Other reported solutions have included holding the lens release button down while powering on the camera, or pressing the Play button to display an image before taking your first shot.

In my case, my 5D somehow fixed itself after I took it on a series of plane flights and shot outdoors in cold weather for a few days. It's been working without a malfunction for over a month now.

It's voodoo.
Ivan Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ivan Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 19:02
Originally posted by jaje jaje wrote:

Hi Ivan,

Can you give some details so we know your solution actually fixed the problem?

For example,

how frequent was the problem before you cleaned the contacts?

How much trouble-free use have you had since you cleaned them?

Many people with black frame issues have reported it as an occasional or intermittent problem --> sometimes only occurring once in 2 months time (very difficult to troubleshoot --> you would need 4-6 months trouble-free operation to confirm that the issue was solved).

If it turns out you have solved this problem, I'm thinking you will deserve an award for service to the Dyxum community.

Jay

So, the problem was really bad, it happened every day, Sometimes even 2 or 3 times a day (when the camera was turned off for some hours)
But every day, in the first picture, the camera showed the problem, with no exception.

Now the camera didn`t show the problem for 3 days, but I think I`m going to test a little more, maybe for a week... but so far so good!

This problem worries me because I live in Brazil (no KM service or parts...) And I don`t have money to pay for a new shutter... *still worried*
Ivan Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ivan Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 19:04
Originally posted by sybersitizen sybersitizen wrote:

The contact cleaning thing has been reported many times as successful, but more often unsuccessful. Similar story with shutter replacement - sometimes that corrects the problem and sometimes it doesn't. Other reported solutions have included holding the lens release button down while powering on the camera, or pressing the Play button to display an image before taking your first shot.

In my case, my 5D somehow fixed itself after I took it on a series of plane flights and shot outdoors in cold weather for a few days. It's been working without a malfunction for over a month now.

It's voodoo.

OMG! This is WEIRD
lol

Cope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 23:08
Cleaning the contacts has helped some with various issues, but it doesn't always help. It's always worth trying before sending your camera off.
Ivan Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ivan Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 22:12
5 days and counting... no problems yet
David_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2006 at 01:01
Ivan how long are you letting the camera set in between tries? The reason I ask is because if I use my camera daily the problem doesn't normally occur. But after sitting two days or longer it almost always happens.

Thanks,
DS
gipper51 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote gipper51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2006 at 00:55
My 5D has had the black frame happen two times. I've noticed both times when it happened my camera was set to ISO 1600 after sitting about two days. I've tried it leaving it on ISO 200 or 400 and it has not happed yet. Maybe something with a high sensitivity shot on a cold sensor not jiving well with the system?
David_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2006 at 01:57
I hate to keep being the pessimist (or realist as I tell my family ;) but mine is happening pretty regularly now and I almost always have the iso on 200. I think it's something that starts off slowly and progressively gets worse or heals itself.

DS

Edited by David_S - 15 December 2006 at 02:03
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount APS-C Page  12>