FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where next in the Midwest US?

Page  <12345 9>
Author
MojoRick View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 16 December 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 589
Post Options Post Options   Quote MojoRick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 07:34
Originally posted by H20boy H20boy wrote:

Missouri...that's exactly where I wanted to go!

I was intending on taking a week off in September anyway, so I may be in as well. Unfortunately, I'm not so much of an outdoorsy kind-a-guy, so I would probably be more into a room with electricity and indoor plumbing. :)

Shercando has a great plan, and I don't want to say anything to change it, but I was wondering if another one or two people/couples (for you husband/wife(GF) teams) would like to stay a little farther south - on the shore of Table Rock Lake, just south of Kimberling City. Only reason I ask, I can stay at a time-share resort condo that has plenty of room (1400 SF) to sleep three couples. It has two bedrooms/two baths, and a pull out sofa -- and a kitchen of course.

Kimberling City is located just about 20 minutes from Branson, a hot tourist spot, so evenings could be fun too. (or that could be a selling point for the significant other to come)

I checked out the State Parks near this area and found Roaring River State Park, which has some incredible sounding trails, including one along the river, rock outcroppings everywhere, a waterfall, a lookout tower, 19th century gristmill, old homesteads, birds and plenty of wildflowers. It sounds nice!

The weekend that Shercando suggested would work for me also, only a little geographically closer to my free room and board w/ electricity would suit me a better.

Anyone interested in trying to make arrangements for that part of the state, drop me a PM or email. I'll be coming with my girlfriend who has just started her hobby with photography.


I have some property on the shores of Table Rock Lake (but sadly undeveloped). Branson as a super night life with all kinds of shows and acts. Plus great daytime photos opportunities. So, I'm good for either site.
Rick
 



Back to Top
Shercando View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 30 September 2005
Country: United States
Location: Madison, WI
Status: Offline
Posts: 1966
Post Options Post Options   Quote Shercando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 14:12
Hi MojoRick and H2OBoy. I know Branson is a great nightlife spot and also the Bass Pro Shop in Branson is a must see for fishermen and campers but those are destinations in themselves and way out of my budget. I have to go on-the-cheap as it is. My sister lives nearby in Marshfield too and I would visit her on the way back. I am going strictly for a photoshoot, no partying at my age and pocketbook.
Shercando
Back to Top
LTTay View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
1969-2011 - Deeply Missed

Joined: 01 October 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 1693
Post Options Post Options   Quote LTTay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 18:19
Man, I'm sorry I won't be able to attend this one, BUT hope you guys have a great time if it works out. I will be out of the country that weekend. Regards,
Lionel
A700 & VG. A700, 7D & VG,50/1.4, 50/1.7, 50/3.5 macro, Tam 17-50/2.8, 85/1.4, Tam 90/2.8 Macro, 70-210/4 Beercan, 80-200/2.8 APO "Black", the 300/2.8 HS APO G; and 5600 HS
Back to Top
H20boy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 19 March 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 1486
Post Options Post Options   Quote H20boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 18:56
Beleive me Shercando, the weekend would be strictly photography based. I am too old to be staying out all night 'partying'. :) I wated to point out that the 'significant other' may be sold on the Branson shopping and shows. I was mainly thinking of good places to eat after all of that hiking and gear lugging. I have been there a dozen times, and not one show! It just doesn't appeal to me. I am thinking evenings would be good to show off pics taken during the day, a little c&c pre-processing, on the TV before and after a big meal, then up early for some sunrise pics. It shouldn't get expensive at all. The resort has pools, mini golf, and other interesting things to do when we'er not shooting...or cleaning/checking gear. lol

Either location will be great for photography. The Lake of the Ozarks park has caves....awww man, that would be cool!


Matt - TX l Maxxum-m42 adapter - that's it   :(     l My Galleries
Back to Top
Shercando View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 30 September 2005
Country: United States
Location: Madison, WI
Status: Offline
Posts: 1966
Post Options Post Options   Quote Shercando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 20:34
Originally posted by H20boy H20boy wrote:

Beleive me Shercando, the weekend would be strictly photography based. I am too old to be staying out all night 'partying'. :) I wated to point out that the 'significant other' may be sold on the Branson shopping and shows. I was mainly thinking of good places to eat after all of that hiking and gear lugging. I have been there a dozen times, and not one show! It just doesn't appeal to me. I am thinking evenings would be good to show off pics taken during the day, a little c&c pre-processing, on the TV before and after a big meal, then up early for some sunrise pics. It shouldn't get expensive at all. The resort has pools, mini golf, and other interesting things to do when we'er not shooting...or cleaning/checking gear. lol

Either location will be great for photography. The Lake of the Ozarks park has caves....awww man, that would be cool!




Looks like you are selling all your Minolta gear on eBay. Are you still planning on a Missouri trip?
Shercando
Back to Top
H20boy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 19 March 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 1486
Post Options Post Options   Quote H20boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 23:13
Nope, not my stuff...just posted another guys liquidation sale. I've asked off of work, now just have to reserve a room at the resort.

To date, only confirmed just me and the significant other. Even if nobody else wants to come along, i'll still be visiting those trails. I am excited about it, just have to get some projects off my desk first. :)

What's your plans??
Matt - TX l Maxxum-m42 adapter - that's it   :(     l My Galleries
 



Back to Top
Shercando View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 30 September 2005
Country: United States
Location: Madison, WI
Status: Offline
Posts: 1966
Post Options Post Options   Quote Shercando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 00:04
So far I am open. I will be going alone from here as of now unless one of our near-by members can get away then. It would be better that a couple share your resort accommodations. I am somewhat familiar with the Table Rock area. I stayed in Bull Shoals for a few days in 1972 checking out a business deal. Then in 1977 I went through staying here and there in central Missouri in my Winnebago. I was especially impressed by the Tan Tara Resort. The folks in Missouri have been pummeled by recent storms too. If it is as bad as I have seen it won't be very pretty and may look at another area instead. My sister isn't very helpful about Missouri conditions saying she only watches Fox News and doesn't read the papers anymore!!
Shercando
Back to Top
BACK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Joined: 16 December 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 53
Post Options Post Options   Quote BACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 00:11
Not sure if I will be able to get out, but I live in the St. Louis area. Most of my experiences in Southern Missouri have been based in the Branson and Lake Taneycomo areas. Not sure of the mention of bad storms. As of late it has just been darn hot and humid! I'll keep following the discussions here and meet up with the crowd. How many are planning to attend?

Regards,
Bob Back
[KM Alpha7D][11-18 f4.5-5.6][28-75 f2.8][50 f1.7][100 macro f2.8][70-210 f4][CZ Sonnar T*135mm f1.8][5600HS]
Back to Top
ph0t0man View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 17 July 2005
Country: United Kingdom
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 979
Post Options Post Options   Quote ph0t0man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 04:37
Are there any firm dates? It is quite a drive...but things are slowing down at work, and I may be able to get away for a long weekend.
Back to Top
MojoRick View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 16 December 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 589
Post Options Post Options   Quote MojoRick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 04:57
Originally posted by ph0t0man ph0t0man wrote:

Are there any firm dates? It is quite a drive...but things are slowing down at work, and I may be able to get away for a long weekend.


I'm open for a "Go" for either Lake of the Ozarks rustic cabin or Kimberling City (20 miles from Branson, MO). I have been to both areas and would enjoy either one.

Rick
Back to Top
Shercando View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 30 September 2005
Country: United States
Location: Madison, WI
Status: Offline
Posts: 1966
Post Options Post Options   Quote Shercando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 12:18
Tentative dates are September 21, 22, 23. Thats a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We need a poll to confirm dates and location. We have two locations that are quite different. Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock. There is no reason not to have two locations either as long as we have members going to one or the other. I want to go to Lake Of The Ozarks and will rent a cabin for up to 6 of us. More cabins are available if we have a larger group going.

If you don't like roughing it, luxury accommodations are available for groups at reasonable off season rates at the nearby Tan Tar A Resort I was at the old Tan Tara in 1977 and it was fabulous. I don't think this is the same location though.

We just need to confirm dates and who wants to go and where to stay . I can go anytime since I am retired and free as a bird. Somebody please set up a poll and sign-up page.

Just a side note: My nephew and his wife and kids are coming from California to visit their mom, my sister Nellie, who lives in Marshfield, MO. Because my sister has a very small apartment they, by sheer coincidence, rented a condo in Table Rock at the Still Waters complex at the end of highway 76!! Now isn't that a coincidence!!

Edited by Shercando - 23 August 2007 at 12:30
Shercando
Back to Top
MojoRick View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 16 December 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 589
Post Options Post Options   Quote MojoRick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 07:49
Originally posted by Shercando Shercando wrote:

Tentative dates are September 21, 22, 23. Thats a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We need a poll to confirm dates and location. We have two locations that are quite different. Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock. There is no reason not to have two locations either as long as we have members going to one or the other. I want to go to Lake Of The Ozarks and will rent a cabin for up to 6 of us. More cabins are available if we have a larger group going.

If you don't like roughing it, luxury accommodations are available for groups at reasonable off season rates at the nearby Tan Tar A Resort I was at the old Tan Tara in 1977 and it was fabulous. I don't think this is the same location though.

We just need to confirm dates and who wants to go and where to stay . I can go anytime since I am retired and free as a bird. Somebody please set up a poll and sign-up page.

Just a side note: My nephew and his wife and kids are coming from California to visit their mom, my sister Nellie, who lives in Marshfield, MO. Because my sister has a very small apartment they, by sheer coincidence, rented a condo in Table Rock at the Still Waters complex at the end of highway 76!! Now isn't that a coincidence!!


I vote for 'Lake of the Ozarks'. It's the right cost ( my daughter started University this fall and that is a real shock cost wise). It is also a great place for photography. As an added bonus, it's an easy drive from the St. Louis and Kansas City areas
Rick
Back to Top
H20boy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 19 March 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 1486
Post Options Post Options   Quote H20boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 11:25
Shercando has company, now I need one or two others. :)

My week in Kimberling City (and days hiking around Roaring River State Park) begins the last week of September. I will have the condo for the 24th thru the 29th, possibly the 30th. It isn't reserved yet, but pretty sure it will pan out just fine.

UPDATE - At this point, it's still just me and Trish. It doesn't have to be a couple thing, singles are invited as well. So, don't let that affect your decision. PM me or email with any questions you may have.

edited because I had the wrong month...

Edited by H20boy - 24 August 2007 at 11:26
Matt - TX l Maxxum-m42 adapter - that's it   :(     l My Galleries
Back to Top
H20boy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 19 March 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 1486
Post Options Post Options   Quote H20boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 11:27
...sorry, wrong month in the previous post... end of September
Matt - TX l Maxxum-m42 adapter - that's it   :(     l My Galleries
Back to Top
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Dyxum Community > Meetings Page  <12345 9>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.

Monitor calibration strip

Dyxum.com - Home of the alpha system photographer

In memory of Cameron Hill - brettania

Feel free to contact us if needed.