Cosina AF 100mm F3.5 MC macro A-mount lens review by JeremyT

- Fast
- I think it's really f/3.2
- 150mm equivalent fast prime in a tiny package
negative:- Build feels horrible
- AF sounds like a coffee grinder
- only 1:2
comment:This is the only real macro lens I own. I've used the 50mm f/1.7 with tubes so that's all I can compare it to for actual macro work.

For macro it seems absolutely fine except for the obvious limitation of 1:2. I bought mine from a forum member (Spada) and it didn't come with the adapter. I do have tubes which get it to 1:1 or beyond.

This lens is really some kind of joke. Its IQ is stunningly good coming from a lens of this class. Bokeh is great. It does double duty as a long portrait / short telephoto, but its sharpness wide open may not be flattering and you may be inclined to soften in post processing. The AF actually functions well enough, save for the noise.

And yet for all those good qualities it's built like total crap, and if you use the AF in public people are sure to think your camera is broken due to the gut-wrenching sound it makes.

Despite that this is probably the single best 'bang for the buck' lens purchase I've made, and unless I'm traveling super light I imagine it will always be with me. A 150mm equivalent f/3.2 prime of this quality in such a very tiny package for such a low price is just marvelous. It's really a shame that they don't make these any more.