Magnicon 75-200mm F4.5 AF zoom A-mount lens review by transiently

reviewer#45751 date: Aug-29-2021
compared to:When I have time one day I will compare it to my Minoltas. My sense is that its optics are much nearer to those of good Minoltas than I would have predicted.
price paid:effectively free
positive:Optics seem decently good based on a couple of test shots. It is physically solid, with metal build and has a beautifully smooth feel to the zoom control. The way the cams engage make it feel quite expensive, even if it never was!
negative:Mine seems to have a mechanical incompatibility with my A37 camera. It mounts normally but the AF spindle doesn't seem to engage successfully with the camera's drive, and makes a nasty grinding/grating sound when mounted, unless camera is switched to MF. The lens itself looks perfectly normal and undamaged, so I think this may be a mechanical incompatibility rather than a faulty lens.
comment:This is not yet a proper review, more a warning that this lens may be mechanically incompatible with modern cameras when mounted with the camera set to AF.

My lens is branded Soligor and came effectively free with other equipment I wanted and I posted here to warn others that I think it could wreck a modern camera, so bad was the noise it made when mounted to my Sony A37.

I think these were made for the original 1985 Minolta AF cameras.