Minolta AF 100-200mm F4.5 A-mount lens review by Meister_Bing

positive:Super fast AF
Decent Sharpness
Large and constant aperture
49mm filter size very common for E-mount user
Light weight and compact size
negative:Color rendition is not 80-200 G class
Bokeh is not G class level either
MFD as many people complained
No FHB(Focus Hold Button)
comment:This is an incredible lens based on the price I have paid for. As a main E-mount user, you could only dream to get such quality lens for $500. I own three sony Full-Frame camera: a900, a7 and a7RII. For this brief review, I mainly compare this lens to 80-200G, due to similar focal length. I also try to compare the difference between a 1985 optical performance against the latest Sony FE24-105G, which has a similar focal length and aperture at 100mm F4.

I mainly use it as casual outdoor walking around lens. Sharpness is a mixed-bag. It's not like 80-200 G you can see softness/blur at 100% peeping, but rather low resolution-related hard edges at 100%. Minolta 75-300 currently costs about the same, but is significantly worse than this 100-200mm.

Since it's a telephoto lens so I don't care about corner performance, but it seems to be performing quite well.

Color rendition and bokeh are not like 80-200G, which is a stellar performer in both terms.

This lens is pretty light, which is a great deal for taking it around. But my first few shots at 200mm were somewhat motioin blurred. (Sony a7+LA-EA4, set at 1/250s) I guess it might related to the light weight of the lens. After I cranked up to 1/400s, 200mm seems to be decently sharp.

Auto Focus is incredibly fast, almost instantly spot on, way better than 80-200G(famous for its brutal and fast AF) and at the same level as the newest Sony 24-105G which has DDSSM to boost its AF speed. (24105G has blazing fast AF even on my first generation a7)

Build quality is quite plasticky, but nothing is wrong with it.

It does not have FHB(Focus Hold Button), it might be an important thing now because you might be able to customize that button with A99 Mk2, and give you more freedom while shooting.(Not sure such old lens can activate eye-AF)

Overall I am very happy with this lens, worth every penny I paid for it.