Minolta AF 100-300mm F4.5-5.6 A-mount lens review by ithinkso

price paid:90.00GBP (used)?
positive:Minolta colour.
light.
negative:no focus limiter.
focus lock button less than positive in use.

Some CA if you look for it.
comment:I had this lens in my 7000i days. I bought it especially for use at airshows. It was the best I could afford at the time. I found it hunted terribly with the relatively small (by today's standards) AF sensor (although I think the 7000i had a class leading AF sensor in it's day). I would switch to manual focus forgetting that with this camera it automatically switched the meter mode to centre weighted from multi-pattern, so the results were often under exposed and disappointing. So it would be fair to say my technique was somewhat lacking and so if I had persevered I may have got better results.

I never made much use of the lens with either my Dynax 7 or A100, and the lens went on long term/permanent loan to my daughter who took up photography while at art school, along with my 7000i.

As she didn't really get bitten with the photography bug, and seeing as I now have the A77 I thought I'd "borrow" this lens back and check it out again. I was really pleased with the results I got today out in some mid afternoon sunshine. It's actually quite sharp! Although I have to agree with comments below about getting the sun behind you! I don't have the hood (never did) and I suspect that it would benefit from one.

This lens might just be the ticket for you if you can pick one up for a reasonable price, but I really think that prices generally for minolta lenses like these are somewhat inflated by the reputation of "beercans" and other high end minoltas. Don't pay over the top.