Minolta AF 100-300mm F4.5-5.6 A-mount lens review by ponz

reviewer#6860 date: Feb-4-2010
positive:Light weight, yet sturdy.
Wonderful colors
negative:Hunts a little with low light
comment:I picked this lens up along with a beat up Maxxum 7000i and original Minolta 35-100. I wasn't counting on much when I felt the weight of this 100-300. Being somewhat old-school, I come from the day where 'heavier' typically indicated better build quality. The glass was also pretty dirty. It has one near-microscopic abrasion on the front element that does not affect image quality.

The first thing that struck me, much to my surprise, when I placed it my a700, were the rich colors. It's no slouch in the sharpness department either. I haven't had her outside in bright light yet, but I expect equally good performance. I imagine one would simply have to avoid certain lighting situations, from what I've read, since this is the Non-APO version. If true, I find that a small price to pay for the other qualities this lens exhibits.

I still don't quite get the overall 'low ratings' for this lens. I guess I lucked out with a good copy.

Now - if I can get all the oil cleaned out of that 35-105 at a reasonable price, I'll be one happy camper.