Minolta AF 100-300mm F4.5-5.6 A-mount lens review by bharnois

reviewer#732 date: Apr-28-2006
compared to:Sigma 70-300 APO Macro
Beercan
Min 70-210 f4.5-5.6
positive:Lightweight but durable, good in good lighting, long zoom, can macro. Can be colorful and sharp. Fast enough outdoors. Range on 5D!!!
negative:Soft at 300 if you are not careful but lately I'm getting some really good stuff so it definitely also depends on technique and settings! Typical tiny zoom ring. Slow for indoors events. Massive zoom creep!
comment:Pretty expensive when I got mine!

Never really had flaring issues as I ALWAYS used the hood on it. Hard for me to be objective as I've been using this and my 35-105 forever! This was a big deal lens waaaay back when I bought it. You can get very differing results with this glass and I've been disappointed by it on occasion.

It is more durable than it lets on. It is light enough you don't really modify the way you hold your gear. I've had some awesome shots!! In the wrong conditions it is very flat.

Soft at 300! (But not always!) If you are careful and stop down you can get good macro in bright light.

You KNOW this hunts a little in low light and complex situations and you'll need the little focus ring.

(EDIT: Since my Sigma APO has given up the ghost I have been using this a lot. I really like it now more than ever! I've also bumped my color (which is VERY Minolta) and Distortion to 5 for myself though some of you with better glass wouldn't say so.)