Minolta AF 100-300mm xi F4.5-5.6 A-mount lens review by wimski99

reviewer#2113 date: Apr-4-2007
compared to:Sony AF DT 18-200 F3.5-6.3
Minolta AF 70-210 F4 (beercan)
Minolta AF 75-300 F4.5-5.6
price paid:Can't remember
positive:Small and light
negative:Motorized (slow) zoom
comment:I have been looking for a BIG Beercan for quite a while... but since yesterday, I've got him!
So I took some time today to compare the results of my four tele-zooms to decide which one(s) to sell.
Not an easy decision: all zooms are GOOD, but different. The Beercan and the BIG Beercan are both very SHARP, with the Minolta-glass CoLOURS. The xi is very light and small (nice for travel), and the Sony is very versatile (and light). Don't forget the Sony is a full-range zoom, starting at 18 and ending at 200.
There are also con's: The Beercan's are heavy, the xi has a (quite slow) motorized zoom and the Sony is not that sharp at both ends (particulary at 18).
I'm glad i finaly own a BIG Beercan. So this one is going to stay. Not only is it as sharp as the Beercan (or sharper), it is also faster due to the focus limiter.
The Sony also stays. Ideal for traveling "light".
So I'm afraid the xi has to go. If I can sell it for a decent price (probable together with my 3xi and 28-80xi).
And the Beercan... Although i won't use it that often anymore i'm pretty sure i'll keep it. As a "collectors-item".