Minolta AF 100-400mm F4.5-6.7 APO A-mount lens review by WestCoastCannuck

reviewer#44222 date: Feb-2-2019
compared to:Sony 70-400G, Minolta 400/4.5
price paid:$50
positive: Its a surprisingly sharp lens. I would have to guess that it is very close to the 70-400G even wide open. One of these days I will do a comparison. See some of my samples. Colour seem nice to my eyes. Bokeh not bad for a zoom.
negative:This lens hunts. A lot. With a contrasty subject in decent to good light.... no problem. In less than ideal light it will often hunt - especially with center point focus. "Expand Flexible Spot" works better... and the zone options also work well enough.

At first I thought the lens was only sharp closer in and weak at infinity.... but then when I manually locked focus I got super sharp images. Though I did not notice, I think the blurring may be a result of micro hunting - anyways, when I locked the focus on my landscapes they got sharp.

It seems to have more distortion than the 70-400G... I could not stitch longer focal length shots without applying some correction first - I found the profile setting for the "Canon 100-400" worked well enough with some occasional tweaking.

Fairly heavy vignetting at the long end - corrects easy enough.

Worst zoom creep ever. Drops like a stone if you let it.
comment:I ended up with a well used (glass perfect) copy of this lens by accident at a price that was almost a gift. After using it for a week or so I can say I will be keeping it for hiking and travel when I want the smallest and lightest long zoom I have.

Handled with care it certainly does not embarrass for results! I plan on testing and using it some more first before it goes on the shelf waiting to be needed. ;)