Minolta AF 100-400mm F4.5-6.7 APO A-mount lens review by Dynaton-DK

Minolta AF28-135
positive:Very sharp
Autofocus speed
Fair weight
negative:Heavy front glass (be careful)
comment:The lens is significantly sharper and (surprisingly) fast in real life.

Compared to other similar lenses this lens is in fact not very heavy, and produces about the same quality as some 1,5x heavier lenses.
The only issue is the heavy front glass which feels like it excert some mechanical stress on joint of the front part of the barrel (However, nothing that is a practical issue to me as I only shoot horisontally - never vertically).

It is maybe not super-sharp at the long end (towards 400mm where the Tamron AF200-400 is better), but I find it still to be pretty sharp - and more than adaquate. Much sharper than anything else I have had.

Before I managed to find one of these I've used a Cosina AF100-400 F4.5-6.7 with fair results (provided some PP was done to the pictures), but the Minolta is in a completely different legue (it is unfair to compare a VW build Skoda with a Porche, so the Cosina cannot be directly compared to the Minolta).

This lens comes at rather high prices used, but I find that it's still worthwhile to buy if you can find one.