Minolta AF 100-400mm F4.5-6.7 APO A-mount lens review by dumbasadoorknob

positive:Minolta colors
Great range
sharp at all lengths
negative:weak, but adequate, hood
comment:This is a very pleasant lens to use. It focusses accurately at all lengths, and is sharp enough for me all across the frame at all lengths. The hood is adequate, but not like the 70300G, -- when fully extended the lens is long but not enormous: the focussing is fast enough, but not instant; the weight is fine. I like the slightly slimmer Minolta size to the modern bulkier lenses. It isn't a battery draining lens.

I simply enjoy the Minolta colors. The 72mm filter size is convenient since I have the Min 200g, 85G, 28-135 and 20RS, all of which use 72s. I haven't yet travelled with this and the 28-135 as a pair, but I certainly intend to do so. The f6.7 at the long end hasn't been a problem for me.

The lens is maxxed-out for its length, so I find that even a 1.4x extender produces noticeably weak images -- but when used as the 100400 alone, it is just perfect. It will AF on 1.4x in Southern Cal, but not with a 2x. It isn't quite as "sharp" as either my 500Reflex or my 70300g at distances, although I am comparing it to two unusually good lenses in my bag -- but it takes really beautiful images at full extension and shorter lengths. I got a hummingbird today at 400mm and twenty feet away, with its tongue at full extension, and the tongue was sharp as a razor. It complements those two lenses rather than substituting for either.

This was a keh BGN, and it had no problem that a quick wipe with Armor-all didn't cure. Keh comes though again!