Minolta AF 100-400mm F4.5-6.7 APO A-mount lens review by OursoulsDad

reviewer#8418 date: Dec-18-2010
compared to:(shouldn't this be compared "with"?) Sony DT55-200 f4-5.6 kit lens.
price paid:about 200 GBP used
positive:In relatively good light, the 400m range is tremendous and it responds relatively well when I am shooting birds or other animals at distance.
The good shots have been particularly good, so for the price, I have been happy with its performance.
negative:The barrel creep is annoying, making things particularly difficult if trying to pick something out at a different height.
It often hunts and quickly struggles in low light. Admittedly, I am normally using the lens at or near the 400mm and therefore f6.5, so this might be expected.
My lens has part of the hood thread broken. The hood stays in place, but I need to be extra careful not to knock it.
Noisy.
I think my 55-200 kit lens is sharper and has better colours. But I am no expert and this might just relate to me using it at 400 all the time.
comment:Except for the barrel creep, I cannot complain about this lens. I wanted the range, didn't like the 500 reflexes' bokeh, couldn't afford the G lenses, etc. Despite my grumbles, I have been exceptionally happy with its performance for the price (I forget the exact price). It has enabled me to take nature pictures that I just would not have been able to get with my other lenses.