Minolta AF 100mm F2 A-mount lens review by 2manycamera

reviewer#217 date: Nov-14-2005
compared to:24-105/3.5-4.5, 28-135/4-4.5, 100/2.8 MD, Tamron 90/2.5, 85/1.7 MD
positive:Excellent feel, blow-me-away sharpness and great bokeh.
negative:Will flare with digital due to lack of rear element multi-coating (what lens makers say is actually true!)
comment:I had wanted an 85/1.4 for awhile to take the place of my older MF 85/1.7, but couldn't afford it. Finally found this 100/2 on e-bay for about $300 and thought it would do until I could find what I thought I really wanted. WOW! What a lens!
I have used this lens constantly and it never lets me down. F2 is very usable in low light, especially center, and excellent edge to edge at infinity by 3.5. I find when I want minimum weight and am not worried about dust on the sensor, all I carry is this lens and the 28/2. I use zooms alot for general picture taking, but I work dance , gymnastis and equestrian for pay and need lenses that are great wide open and focus fast. Fixed focal lengths still do this better, although less convenient.

The only negative is flare with the 7D. It is true about the rear multi-coating on digital lenses, it makes a difference IF you shoot into a bright light source.

I've been using Minolta since my first SR-T in 1970 and I stay with them for one reason more than any-the glass.

I now own the a850 and love this combo.