Minolta AF 100mm F2 A-mount lens review by AlphaMan

Size
Construction
negative:price
Availability
comment:This is now an amended review based on a second sample of the lens.

The first sample of this lens was very good but required careful handling to get the best from it. It was very sharp but mis-focused quite easily using the A700 but was much better on my A900. As this lens seemed to be problematic on my A700 which was the camera I had brought it for I decided to sell it. This was something I grew to regret and so I got another when the opportunity presented itself.

I have subsequently learned how to calibrate the focus on an A700 (3 screw method) and now enjoy sharper pictures with all my lenses.

My second 100/2 is actually better than the first, not just because of my calibrated A700 but also because it seems sharper - much more in line with some of the rave reviews you can read here.

It is very sharp at f2 without micro-adjust on my A900, also on my A700 (where no micro-adjust is possible) and with a -8 micro adjust on my NEX7 via the LA-EA2 adapter.

The lens is simply quite stunning; sharp, lovely Minolta colours and a pleasing 3D feel to the images. I just wish Sony would bring one out so that more people could enjoy this little Minolta gem is a delight!