Minolta AF 100mm F2 A-mount lens review by lomitamike

Size
I got one
negative:Price
Availability
focus speed (not too bad)
comment:I bought this lens about two and a half years ago and I've used it with the Minolta 5D, Sony A700 and the Sony A550. I have not used it with a full frame camera yet.

If I had to choose the one lens that was the closest lens to being perfect for my style of shooting this would be the lens. For starters it's f/2. Secondly it's tack sharp at f/2, it's rare that any lens can be so sharp wide open.

Although 100mm is a bit longer then I normally shoot with, when I need something in the 100mm area other then macro this is the lens I go to.

I recently did a photo shoot with a model and used both the Sony 70-200 G and the 100 f/2. I preferred the 100 f/2 photo's. You don't need as much correction in post processing if at all with this lens. The sharpness and color are as close to perfect as you can get.

I also have used this lens to shoot indoor basketball and it works OK. It's focusing is a little slow for fast sports in dimly lit gyms. Fortunately the first gym I was shooting in was very well lit so the 100 f/2 focused decently. The second gym I shot in was terribly lit and focusing was very challenging, although that probably would have been the case for any lens to be honest. The great thing about this lens for indoor sports is of course the ability to use f/2 and double you shutter speeds in comparison to any f/2.8 lens.

This is an incredible lens and a pleasure to work with and gets my highest recommendation.

Unfortunately this lens is almost impossible to find, and if you do find one you better have a lot of money.

UPDATE: On Full Frame, all the great points I wrote about are only better.

UPDATE: I have sold this lens and replaced it with the Minolta 85G(D). There certain quality's of the 100 f/2 that the 85 misses, but I chose to go for the 1.4 option.