Minolta AF 100mm F2 A-mount lens review by gouldina

Contrasty
Beautiful rendition and colour
Not too big
negative:mfd could be shorter

comment:A pretty rare lens this and very high quality. Build is great and focussing is reasonably quick. Minimal focus could be shorter but it's not atypical for a lens of this length. I love its rendering of light and smooth bokeh. It's extremely contrasty which is a characteristic I like although the contrast is not so much at the micro-contrast level as the Zeiss 85 and it's not quite so sharp (although it is my sharpest lenses, ZA aside). Nonetheless, it renders texture, colour and light beautifully in a very Minolta way. Think of the 135 f2.8's rendering but with far less CA (at least in my experience) and you'll get the idea.
Despite owning both the 85ZA and the 100f2 and despite their similar focal lengths, I intend to keep both. The 100 is much less bulky for one thing and has a different look.

Update after more use:

Initially I used the 85mm in preference (I bought them both around the same time) but lately it's the other way round or at least where people shots are concerned. I love the way it renders people and it has brilliant colour and I also prefer the slightly longer focal length. I'd say the Zeiss was a tad sharper and has better micro-contrast if you pixel peep but unless you do so, you won't notice and in practice in prints they are equally razor sharp. Definitely the best portrait/people lens I've ever used.