Minolta AF 100mm F2.8 Macro D A-mount lens review by macroman

reviewer#2246 date: May-2-2007
compared to:Sigma 105mm macro. Vivitar 100mm macro. Tamron 90mm macro.
price paid:570 US (new)
positive:The most important positive is the overall quality. The build quality is very good and solid. Aside from the obvious macro capability, it is in my opinion the perfect portrait lens. Even over zoom lenses.
negative:The lens hood is a little "plasticy"
comment:The rubber focusing ring "creeps" (rotates) when you push too hard at either end of the focus range. I see this as a good thing. It prevents you from putting too much pressure on the lens when focusing manually. And since the rubber part of the focusing ring rotates relative to the focusing barrel that it's on, it prevents wear spots from your finger tips pressing in the same spots all the time. The lens focusing ring was probably designed this way, and only the outer rubber part rotates - sliding over the outer lens barrel. But it's not loose at all - it takes a bit of finger force before it begins to move. I believe at least one upcoming Sony will be FF or nearly so. That will make this lens 100mm again, instead of 150mm equivalent on the a100. That's good for me since macros in the 90mm to 105mm focal length range are my most used of all my lenses. The Minolta Maxxum lens is a little better than my Tamron, Sigma, and Vivitar. But all of them are truly great - I can hardly wait to mount it on my first DSLR. I passed on the a100 and previous digital Minoltas because my Maxxum 9 satisfied me. I don't understand the comments from other
users about the "slow" AF of macro lenses. My lens hardly ever hunts,and the AF speed is quite fast - MUCH faster than I could by hand - and I got compliments about the AF speed from a photographer using a different camera brand (I'll say it was either canon or another brand).