Minolta AF 100mm F2.8 Macro A-mount lens review by Chrisblobster

reviewer#38877 date: Jun-2-2017
compared to:Close-up filters on 50mm f/1.4
price paid:NZD $225 + shipping
positive:Unbeaten sharpness, great Minolta colours, bokeh, extremely versatile despite its macro designation. I like the extra "reach" I get on the APS-C SLT-A57, but its also insanely sharp on the SLT-A99.
negative:Slow AF can hunt when not range limited, narrow MF ring. Has gathered significant internal dust which appears in shots when stopped down the closer you get to 1:1
comment:I never knew my SLT-A57 was capable of such sharp imagery until I put this lens on for the first time - my other Maxxum lenses make very sharp pics on my A57 (and A99), but this pixel sharp monster lens takes it to a whole nutha level! Even without decent lighting I've managed to shoot super sharp 1:1 macro shots (even 2:1 with a X2 TC). Then of course you can step back and shoot the sharpest portraits or mid-tele shots you're likely to see on your Sony/Minolta! Its AF can be slow when not limited, and the MF ring is narrow, but those little quirks aside it is a very well built lens with best-of-breed stunning optics. Distortion? What is that?