Minolta AF 100mm F2.8 Macro A-mount lens review by al tent

reviewer#8032 date: Sep-30-2010
compared to:Minolta 35-70 f4 macro
price paid:350 usd (used) prime
positive:Just about everything.
negative:Does spend some valuable time hunting for focus in low light. But then it comes through.
comment:B&H had a batch of these a few years back, new and in the box, for a ridiculously low price. I was too naive and too broke to jump on the deal. So a few years later I spent what is to me a small fortune to get my hands on one, still from B&H.
The incredible color jumps out at you the first. The boken is exquisite. Then the detail of the focus image will stun and amaze. Sure, it hunts around in low light, but it will lock in. Heck, I shoot the 35-70 manually so I shoot the 100 manually and there is no fuss. Now I love the 35-70 and it has never been far from the camera, it too has great boken and I love its detail, (I have two copies). But this lens, oh my, so sharp, such incredable detail. This was the last lens I had on my list (that I could afford). Now I want the 100mm soft. I am thrilled and it has not left my camera since it came.