Minolta AF 17-35mm F2.8-4 D A-mount lens review by Kiklop

positive:Really nice color balance
Fast enough
AF speed and reliability
negative:- Distortion at 17mm pretty evident
- Lousy hood (feels very cheap and it's not suitable to 1.5 crop factor – way too short)
- not that great on 35mm
- build could be better
comment:I like this lens. When I bought one I was a bit disappointed with the overall performance. I tried some alternatives on canon systems when I realized that we can't expect top grade performance with such wide angle lenses and at that price.
However, this lens has pretty sweet coverage on 7D, which makes it a very handy lens for street photography.
Unfortunately, there is a lot to be desired in terms of distortion control, since at 17mm the lens exhibits pretty strong barrel distortion. At 24mm and more things are pretty good.
Flare can be an issue, but considering the wide angle I think the lens is getting pretty good in this regard.
Sharpness isn't at pair with some longer lenses (comparing to primes does not have sense here), but the lens is still very capable when stopped down a bit. IN general, I consider this lens sharp enough for most tasks.
**Full frame**
Borders and corners performance and quite high distortion are significant problem with this lens on a FF camera. Central resolution is still very good (stopped down a bit) but borders are problematic even when stopped down. I rarely use it on a900 with the 16mm and 20mm lenses covering this range