Minolta AF 17-35mm F2.8-4 D A-mount lens review by C-hass

-price
-sharpness wide open
-FF compatibility
negative:-f2.8 only @ 17mm
comment:This is one of the best lenses I've ever used.
I have a beautiful copy that I bought here on dyxum. I read many people saying that in order to get decent sharpness from this lens you need to step down, well my copy is razor sharp at f2.8, and this is why I'm keeping it.
This lens was my first replacement to the crappy 18-70 kitlens, and maybe this is why I love it so much.
The colors are beautiful: the classic Minolta colors!

I never had problems with flare, but it's true that it can be seen sometimes.

At 17mm f2.8, few people might be interested in bokeh, but I've done a number of semi-macro photos with this lens, and I just love its bokeh!

Distortion is there, and sometimes it's clearly visible, but for landscapes, it was never a problem, especially when I got the Sigma 10-20 and used it most of the times at 10mm, the minolta's distortion disappears.

After buying the Sigma, I thought about selling this lens, but I end up keeping it for I consider it a classic.

It's true that this lens is not comparable to the Zeiss glass (which I never owned) but for the price I've paid, this lens delivers everything I need.

If you're looking for a kitlens replacement, this would be my number one suggestion!