Minolta AF 17-35mm F3.5 G A-mount lens review by NetQwik

negative:Price
Availability
Big stupid hood
2.8 would be nice
comment:After reading some recent reviews of this lens, I decided to kick in my two cents. Although it works well on all Maxxum mount cameras, this lens was designed for FF. Reviewing this lens after use on an APS-C camera is like rating the fish eye. If you're not using it on a FF camera then it's not a fish eye and you are unable to make a complete assesment! I have a bag full of G glass and an a900. This one was the most expensive I had until I got the 200 tele macro and at the time of purchase hard to find. I replaced the 17-35D with the 17-35G because it was too dark and the bokeh flat. You get what you pay for (most of the time). The introduction of the 16-35/2.8 CZ has caused many more of these to become available but the price seems to remain steady.

The performance of this lens is awesome. It has fast, accurate focusing. My copy has no zoom creep. The zoom and focus rings turn buttery smooth and are dampened just right. The images are 100% Minolta 'G' quality. There is almost no distortion but you always get a little with WA lenses. It's a physics thing. The build is better than the MUCH more expensive 2.8 CZ.