Minolta AF 200mm F2.8 G APO HS A-mount lens review by berlin steve

reviewer#11762 date: Apr-13-2014
compared to:Nearest I have would be 70-210 Beercan or 80-400 Tokina ATX
price paid:a good price =o)
positive:+Sharp
+Fast Focusing
+Looks good on all camera bodies
+IQ
negative:-Spare parts hard to find- try not to break it, or it will be an expensive brick!
-Limited use due fixed focal length
-So that forces you to think about G zooms
-And lens lust becomes G-Lust... even more expensive!
comment:Fast and Sharp- you'll be judging just about all lenses you try out with the IQ this can pull, and with a speed that is hard to top on screw focus lenses. This has got to be one of the best lenses of all time.
Mine has tatty barrel. Forget cosmetics, you'd be hard pushed to find a used one that hasn't got flaky paint.
I am generally very happy with the two zooms I have that cover the 200mm length. But they cannot produce 3D pop shot after shot.
In fact, I only have two lenses which give 3D pop almost effortlessly. The excellent 135mm 2.8, and this.
Shooting a rugby game yesterday using 10 shot bursts on the A77, and leaving camera on continuous focus, I was surprised how many in focus shots there were. From 200 shots, I only had a handful that were unusable photos.
I don't think the beercan or the 80-400 could have kept up with the action.
I bought mine for a great price! The usual going rate is a bit steep if you'd only use 200mm occassionally. For a little more money you can get a 70 or 80-200mm G zooms. But if 200mm is your focal length, this is the dogs b*ll*cks. Even with a Kenko 1.4 pro 300 TC added, this is still an amazing beast! I just don't understand why Sony don't make one.

Now I want more G glass!