Minolta AF 20mm F2.8 A-mount lens review by coreyama

compared to:Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC
Minolta AF 28mm f/2.8
Color
Light weight
Very short min focus distance
CA controlled
negative:Flat images in cloudy light
Some barrel distortion
comment:This is the lens that I use 80% of the time on my 7D. I bought it at a discount because of a rattling noise. It was very easy to repair. One of the focus guide screws had come out.

Color and sharpness is very good. Lowlight performance is great. Sharpness is good at f/2.8 and tack sharp everywhere else.

In a forest or overcast sky situation, the lens can render flat images, hence my color rating of 4. If there are straight lines near the edges of a shot, they will be slightly curved. These are things I can work around.

You may find this lens slightly too wide for everyday use. However, I do a lot of landscapes and architecture, for which I find 20mm perfect (30mm eq. APS-C). It also makes some great wide angle macros. The min focus distance is about 10 cm in practice. You'll get the most out of this focal length by getting really close to your subject.

Compared to others:
The Sigma 10-20 is garbage. Sharpness is terrible until f/8 or 9. I started with the Sigma, sold it, and bought the Minolta.
I also sold my Minolta 28 f/2.8 some time after acquiring the 20. I just didn't use it much any more and it was not tack sharp like the 20.