Minolta AF 20mm F2.8 A-mount lens review by ithinkso

reviewer#37834 date: Apr-17-2017
compared to:Sigma 24mm f2.8 "Super-Wide II"
Tokina 20-35mm 3.5-4.5
Vivitar (Cosina) Series 1 19-35mm 3.5-4.5
price paid:250.00 GBP
positive:Compact and light. 72mm filter ring. minimum focus distance (compared to the zooms)
negative:No real issues. Marked vignetting when standard circular polariser attached. (a low profile filter would be a better option).
comment:I bought this lens to expand my Minolta AF lens collection, and to take advantage of the non rotating front element when using filters. I already have a number of 72mm filters.

I'm delighted with It's compact size and weight.

Optically it's a fine lens. The distortions are quite complex, and care needs to be taken when doing architectural images. These are not really noticeable in most other situations and are part of the character of images made with this type of lens.

I find vignetting is not a problem when using the standard Lee filter ring adapter (a low profile type would probably be better but not absolutely necessary).

I doubt if there would be much advantage over the Sony 16-50 f2.8 on my A77 and have not tried it out.

Some previous reviews have remarked the AF is noisy. I don't think so.

I was expecting to see an improvement in IQ over the Tokina zoom and was not disappointed, but a prime lens ought to be better than a zoom in any case. (The SAL 16-50 is a much younger lens specifically designed for the the A77 APS-c sensor).

You can see examples of my images with all my reviewed lenses here. www.flickr.com/photos/marti-thinkso/

Came with a nice Minolta branded AC CLR filter attached.