Minolta AF 24-50mm F4 A-mount lens review by ivansinger

compared to:Sigma 24/2.8 AF II
positive:Great zoom range for APS-C, equiv to 35-70 full-frame
constant aperture
small and sturdy
negative:Mustache-shaped distortion at all focal lengths, difficult to correct for
Lens hood is pretty useless
You'll find yourself reaching for a good prime to swap
Not well suited for macro, video or manual focus
CA very noticeable against sky
Not particularly sharp at the corners and edges, even on APS-C

comment:This lens came recommended by Gary Friedman's A57 book, but clearly there was more to read first. I took this lens on a trip to Quebec and spent the next two weeks correcting for complex distortion on every image with a straight line or WA perspective. Also, every image had some kind of focus issue, either hyperfocus or general unpleasantness in bokeh. With this zoom, I never feel like I get a clean image out of the camera and is why I generally HATE zooms. I did use this lens to shoot a small party with a bounce flash of people standing around and it did fine, but for the money, I could have had many more high-quality options.

Sigh...I really wanted to like this lens and the longer I own it, the less I use it. I paid too much, didn't read the Dyxum reviews first and didn't know that the rare RS version is much better. I did know that the Sony 16-50/2.8 is in a league by itself and for a couple of hundred more, could have had a nice copy off ebay.