Minolta AF 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by Ratsters

reviewer#9549 date: Oct-30-2011
compared to:Minolta 24-50 f4
Sony CZ 24-70
positive:Light, well built, good reach, sharp at f8 and 28mm ++ Very fast and precis focus, almost faster then modern day lens, it's true it's a very light lens, almost too light for the A900, but for a walk around lens you can ask better. See 2nd NOTE at the bottom.
negative:Soft at 24mm but gets better at 28mm and up, same result as on the A900 or the a580.
comment:This lens has good reach, light, well built, but disappointedly soft at 24mm even at f8; it gets better at 28 and up. I've test it on the A900 and it's OK for the price but just so, but on the A580 it is surprisingly good.
NOTE: Got me a second mint copie of the lens, and I'd like to add: very fast and precise focus, sharpness is equal to my other copy.
Added NOTE (June 2014): I had an accident with one of the 24-85, it broke beyond repair; since I like these “Walk Around” lens, and they come cheap, got me a 3rd copy.... surpised, this one is even better then the first two one. Brand new, from Japan and in the original package. I re-tested on my A900, A580 and A700 and the quality, sharpness, accurate focus etc, is excellent. Conclusion: since these lens are considered “Kit Lens”, unfortunately craftmanship will vary greatly from one copy to the other.... probably why this lens received such low ratings.